• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Census look up please surname Holley

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Shera kindly checked the 1901 census for me yesterday as I am trying to find information about Caroline Wassall nee Holley.

On 1901 she gives her place of birth as Bham. I just don't know if this is right or not. She was born 1867/68.

If a kind soul would take a look for me on the 1881 to see if she shows up aged about 14 years old I would be ever so grateful. Her father was William Holley. Using FamilySearch I can find two Carolines but neither born Birmingham:angry:. With luck in 1881 I can find Birmingham entered again or something different. Maybe I can find something using her parent's details. I have checked FreeBMD and not found her under the name I have for her.

Thank you.

Jill:)

Shera

true brummie
hi jill, i decided to have a look for her in 1911 as that census was filled in by the people themselves.

i found the same couple that you said were correct in 1901, (where they were visiting the tysall family ) .

joseph filled in the census but he spelt his name as wasall!

they were living 4 court 3 house heath mill lane, bham

joseph wasall 41 general labourer born bham
caroline wasall 43 laundress born bham

this couple had been married 15yrs and had not had any children

Shera

true brummie
in 1871 there are 2 possibles (none b. bham though) with fathers name william

living in bath, somerset

william holley 25 engine driver on farms b. bath somerset
ellen holley 27 b. hulberton, devon
sarah e holley 6 b. bath
caroline holley 4 b. bath
william c. n. holley 2 b. tiverton somerset
edward f. holley 5 mths b. tiverton

then not so likely. living oxford

william holley 33 tailor b. bermondsey london
ann holley 31 b. oxford
mary ann holley 8 b. oxford
sarah eliz holley 6 b. oxford
george william holley 4 b. oxford
chas. fred fran holley 2 b. oxford
caroline alice holley 4 mths. b. oxford

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Thank you so much Shera. It looks as though this lady is going to be a mystery to me for some time to come. You would have thought if she was hiding something like another surname she would have gone for something like Smith as her replacement name. Wasn't it Edgar Allen Poe who said 'What a tangled web we weave, when first we flatter to deceive'. I think he must have been doing a bit of family history at the time :) J

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

By disbelieving everything and starting with her yob as 1867/8, I have found two Caroline Holleys both born Aston. Sept 1/4 1869 Aston 6d 258 and Sept 1/4 1892 6d 219. I wonder why she would mislead about her age. If I remember when I got married, I was asked about age next birthday rather than age now. I got her yob from FamilySearch entry for her marriage - age 28 born 1868. It would be close but suppose she was only just 28 when she married, would that allow for the LDS transcriber to assume 1868 by simple subtracton.

I still haven't found any more information for her or her family but should I be happier with this date of birth now? If anyone reads this and has some thoughts I'd be grateful as my brain hurts.

Thanks

Jill