• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Census 2021

Apparently they plan to contact any household not answering online or submitting a paper copy. No idea how or when they plan to do this.
I found the questions as PDF and my Dad (93 and no idea about computers) told me the answers. I have his code to enter online for him.
How are people in his situation, without daughters and sons who are able to help, meant to fulfil this legal requirement?

Apparently they plan to contact any household not answering online or submitting a paper copy. No idea how or when they plan to do this.
I found the questions as PDF and my Dad (93 and no idea about computers) told me the answers. I have his code to enter online for him.

Staff have/are being recruited to visit householders who have not submitted their Census (either online or by post) in order to help them complete it. I am not sure when these visits will commence.

William.

How are people in his situation, without daughters and sons who are able to help, meant to fulfil this legal requirement?
I really don't know. I am able to help as I am his carer even though he lives on his own but some sons and daughters aren't in that position.
Send for a paper copy - but, I gather, that could mean a lengthy hold on the phone.

some people received forms, other just a letter, I received just a letter with a 16 digit code, so I filled it in on line, I found it very simple. I received an email confirming they had received the completed census, this was last Thursday 17th

I completed mine online yesterday - found it easy as there's only me at the address.
My London borough was chosen for a dress rehearsal last year and sent a paper form for us to complete - not sure why but maybe they wanted to test the programme before putting it online?

I have noticed that there is a small centre in our area where people are able to go for help with the form - possibly they will go through the questions with you and enter it onto a computer. I'm sure there are quite a few people who have difficulties for various reasons including english not being their first language.

Keiron,

That's a bit like the airlines going to States with the forms you had to fill in an hour or so before your landed. "Are you or have you ever been a member of a terrorist organisation?". I wonder how many Yes answers they got to that? :)

Maurice :cool:

The census was a lot easier to fill in for us retired people, no questions about jobs etc.

After all the fuss about it I thought it may have asked where you were born , how many children you had given birth to etc.
so that it could be used in future the way the oldest census were.
I liked the answer about nationality, although we may be British on most forms I think that many of us who are proud of our heritage prefer to say, English,Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish.

Mikejee, Maurice, we went to USA from Canada at the Windsor crossing in the 90s, we had to go into a room and answer questions, our son was 20 and when they asked if he was or had been a member of the Communist party he thought it amusing and smiled , the look he was given by the armed official was scary.the return journey was quite different we showed our British passport and were told 'have a nice day'.
Alberta

When I went to New York in 1981 we were asked a few questions, but what stayed in my memory was how the officer was looking so intently at me. When chatting to the tour guide she told us that they were trained to look at facial expressions.

So maybe questions are asked to observe the response.

Alberta,

After a couple of years of regularly going to and fro between the UK and Pennsylvania. I quickly learned not smile or crack jokes as the people working for Immigration have absolutely no sense of humour. I also found that it was best to answer yes or no whenever you could. Including information that was not strictly necessary merely caused further questions in an effort to "trip you up" or divulge something that you had not intended to divulge.

Incidentally, my PA friend said that their lack of humour was partly due to their poor salary structure. But, of course, they are meant to be intimidating - its par for the course!

Maurice :cool:

what stayed in my memory was how the officer was looking so intently at me.

When I was in the military and crossed the Iron Curtain, my passport and documents were taken [almost certainly photocopied for the Stasi] which took a while. Then the military guard would salute me, to which I had to return a salute as a sort of mutual respect. It was all very John le Carré-ish. Living the Cold War dream eh?

I think the US Immigration form used to ask whether you had ever been convicted of an act of moral turpitude? Definition of this is "an act or behaviour that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community". Always told that you had to put United Kingdom as country of residence. Back to the queue if you put England or Great Britain.
Regarding the census form, my wife has to specify Isle of Man as place of birth as this is in the British Isles but not the United Kingdom. It is a British Crown Dependency. A similar definition applies to Jersey and Guernsey.

Back