• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Censorship

pjmburns

master brummie
I thought this might be of interest (and no, I haven't managed to read it - yet!).
In 1915 (22.11.15) my Grandfather volunteered and was sent to join the Royal Engineers. He was sent for training in Ireland and while there must have sent this postcard to his older spinster sisters who he lived with in Blucher Street. I assume the card was sent in an envelope as there is no room for an address.
Apart from "to all. I remane Charlie" I can only make out the odd word. It has all been crossed out in pencil. The original writing is in pencil as well but I would be loath to tamper with it. I have scanned it as you can see and am hoping use of different filters may reveal more of the writing. I know the word "rifle" is there.

Attachments

• censor.jpg
    censor.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Officers Mess Ireland.jpg
    Officers Mess Ireland.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 26
wow that will be hard to figure out janice....i will take a look tonight

lyn

it sure has janice...not sure if my eyes are equipped to deal with this one though:D ps whatever you do dont tamper with it lol

lyn

Back