• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cemetery search

nzjrc

knowlegable brummie
Hi, Newbie here, just found this site yesterday. Bit of a long shot but was wondering if anyone recognises this cemetery my great grandad is buried in, in 1937, pictured here in 1967. He lived in Washwood Heath Road, if that's any help, but I have never been able to find any record of his burial on any cemetery site so far. Obviously, there must be a record somewhere, the grave is big enough! Thanks for any help, Jane

Attachments

• Grave.jpg
    Grave.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 39
hi and welcome...could you give us the name of your grandad as we maybe able to find some burial records online for you is that his grave in the foreground of your photo

lyn

Yes, sorry, whoever took the photo missed a bit! His name is William James Whately Haddrell, 1870-1937 b Wiltshire. As far as I know, I have all the records of him off Ancestry but this one eludes me. Thank you!

great thanks leave it with us ..no promises but some of our members maybe able to find out where he is buried...fingers crossed...oh do you have his death cert to confirm exactly where he died...

great maurice so your grandad is at yardley which makes sense if he lived in washwood heath

lyn

In the background of the photo it looks as if there are allotments - with corrugated metal sheds? There used to be allotments on the one side of the cemetery but they now have houses on them.

great thanks leave it with us ..no promises but some of our members maybe able to find out where he is buried...fingers crossed...oh do you have his death cert to confirm exactly where he died...
I don't think so, typical, I have everyone elses, I'll double check. It is definitely in Birmingham in the death index though, and he always lived in Washwood Heath Road from mid 1910's.

Info from Familysearch.org:

View attachment 155228

Re burial records - if he/she died in Birmingham, https://birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/ Costs £20 to download image however!

If you get stuck with the more complicated one let us know - we like a challenge here!
Hi, Thanks for looking that up, I have that record on Ancestry or something similar. I'm glad I got most of my certificates and downloads before the prices went up! I'll put the other query up after I've looked on the website.

Ok that was easier than I thought, thanks everyone. The next one I don't think is going to be 'findable' and its not on the council burial website. I don't expect to find any more information than I already have, it is merely out of interest. My Grandmother gave birth to twins in April 1920 (also at her fathers in Washwood Heath Rd) Unfortunately one of them died two days later. Grandma always said he was buried in a cardboard box on top of someone else at St Martins in the Bullring. However after watching the HS2 programme, I found there were no burials there after 1915 (?), nor the Park Street burial ground after 1873. Perhaps someone made it up to keep her happy, or she misunderstood, she didn't like to talk about it. His name was William Stockdale. As I say its just out of interest, obviously not going to be a grave anywhere, but I love a mystery!

Hi nxjrc,

You're welcome, and I have a cousin living in Otorohanga, so happy to help out.

Maurice :cool:

Unlikely to have been cremated at that age. Perry Barr, possibly, but it's private and not online.

EDIT: Otherwise a local churchyard, but the records are not online that recent & Birmingham Archives are still closed as far as I am aware. My cousin's grandparents were born in Aston and went out in the 1920s, so he's never been to the UK.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Ok that was easier than I thought, thanks everyone. The next one I don't think is going to be 'findable' and its not on the council burial website. I don't expect to find any more information than I already have, it is merely out of interest. My Grandmother gave birth to twins in April 1920 (also at her fathers in Washwood Heath Rd) Unfortunately one of them died two days later. Grandma always said he was buried in a cardboard box on top of someone else at St Martins in the Bullring. However after watching the HS2 programme, I found there were no burials there after 1915 (?), nor the Park Street burial ground after 1873. Perhaps someone made it up to keep her happy, or she misunderstood, she didn't like to talk about it. His name was William Stockdale. As I say its just out of interest, obviously not going to be a grave anywhere, but I love a mystery!
you have probably already found his death record but if not here it is including the cert ref if you wish to order it for further info
NAME:William Stockdale
DEATH AGE:0
BIRTH DATE:1920
REGISTRATION DATE:Apr 1920
REGISTRATION QUARTER:Apr-May-Jun
REGISTRATION DISTRICT:Aston
INFERRED COUNTY:Warwickshire
VOLUME:6d
PAGE:484

you have probably already found his death record but if not here it is including the cert ref if you wish to order it for further info
NAME:William Stockdale
DEATH AGE:0
BIRTH DATE:1920
REGISTRATION DATE:Apr 1920
REGISTRATION QUARTER:Apr-May-Jun
REGISTRATION DISTRICT:Aston
INFERRED COUNTY:Warwickshire
VOLUME:6d
PAGE:484
Yes, I have that one and his birth certificate, thank you. Sat in the council offices in 2000 for ages waiting for them!

ok thats good...i did read that sometimes very young infants were buried in other peoples graves but that no record was made of the grave they were in so yes im afraid trying to find william could prove very difficult if at all

lyn

Back