• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cemetery Lane Infections Hospital

P

Patricia Warren

Can anyone identify this hospital located in All Saints Parish, Lynden Ward, West Bromwich? I'm tracing a patient listed there in the 1901 census. All residents were children. Was this a hospital or orphanage facility? Was it for a specific disease like TB? Is it still operating or would records exist? Any information appreciated.

Hi Patrica,welcome to the site.
Cemetery Lane was renamed Heath Lane ,early part of the century,the hospital was known as Heath Lane Isolation Hospital at least from 1921 until 1961,when it appears to have changed to a mental health unit.

Colin

Heath Lane Hospital

Thank you so much Colin. By any chance do you know if records were kept? I'm trying to check parents' names for a 1901 patient.

Patricia

There are documents deposited at The National Archives,but they don't seem to be patient lists.Can you give us some details someone may be able to help

Colin

Hospital records

Hello again Colin,

The person I'm trying to find is Ethel Elizabeth Jolliffe, born 19 January 1896 in Portsmouth to Samuel Henry Jolliffe and Elizabeth Sarah Kitching. Elizabeth's family remaining in the Birmingham area were:
her grandmother, Sarah (Marsden) Kitching and
her sister, Emily Lucy (Kitching) Bates & husband Samuel Bates and
her aunt, Mary Ann (Kitching) Ellis & husband Herbert Abraham Ellis and
her niece, Lena Felkin (Ellis) Woolley

You've been a great help!

Patricia

Back