• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Caves Coaches

Yes I remember them well. I also remeber the garage that stood on the corner of Solihull Lodge and Aqueduct Road. My Uncle had a pig farm just along a bit from there until he sold the land for housing. Bet they grew great tomatoes:D

Hi John,
I remember Caves Coaches when they still sold petrol at the front. I brought trade to a standstill for an hour or so one day when I locked myself out of my '58 Vauxhall Victor at the pumps which could only be driven one side of. Not being in the AA or RAC they had to wait well I walked home to Billesley to fetch a spare key. Old Mr Cave was not amused. At that time Caves fleet was entirely made up of small Bedford/Plaxton Coaches. I may be wrong but I think their first full size coach (1975) was a Bedford/Duple Bella Vista in cream and red that originated with Edinburgh Corporation Transport of all people although I don't think Caves kept it for long. I don't recall ever seeing it in Caves normal grey and turqoise colours. A small Bedford/Plaxton still with Cave's when it folded is in preservation in a barn near Uttoxeter.

Hi. Mike. Old man Cave wasnt renowned for his sense of humour, The Edinburgh transport Bedford SB that you mentioned was eventually painted in Caves colours the Reg. was 205 SC, and I took it up to Edinburgh in 1978 on a 5 day tour, and went through the bus wash at one of thier garages with it, I am pleased the 29 seater Plaxton is preserved.

John, This isn't the view I promised you but for now one of Malcolm Keelys of the ACE. Geaorge told me once that old man Cave had always had a hankering to own an AEC but left it too late to get a new one so he bought the ACE instead.

Mike

Mike. Thanks for the pic. Thats correct, I was working there when they bought the ACE, for £69000, I believe, and the old man as you say allways fancied an AEC but never got one, so bought this, I think there were only two made, wonder what happened to it at the end. Have a photo of me in it, but ashamed of the road positioning.

I believe the ACE went to Ireland and may still be running. Re-registered, though so difficult to trace.

Greetings John,
Another view of the ACE this time in Station Street (still not the one I'm looking for!). Perhaps you can explain the destination display, I don't remember a 149 to Solihull Station plus the others on the great windscreen stickers.
Mike

Hi. Mike. Sorry but the photo isnt there, the 149 ran from City to Solihull station via Shirley, Widney Manor, Dorridge, Knowle and Solihull, trouble was he wouldnt have blinds made half the time, I used to try and put the destinstions on a piece of paper and stick it on the nearside window, we had another run for 6 months from Robin Hood island to Tesco,s at Monkspath, number 123, but no destinations up at all, hardly anyone ever used it because no body knew where it was going to or from, then they used to moan about it running empty, but they didnt like any body to suggest anything that may have helped. the 197s and 196s were his best payers, helped with the Centro subsidy. Cheers. John.

OOPs, Sorry John, Yer tiz! Like the Dart pic. Will try and meet up with you later in year (Other thread) Theres a rally coming up at Brislington, Bristol 10th August might you be there? I will be.
Mike

icon1.gif
Re: Caves Coaches

Hya all cannot say much about the coaches sorry.
However, the yard at the back was full of old buses bits and all sorts.
He did die very suddenly and it took quite a while for it all to be sorted out and now there are new flats built on the site.
How do I know, I have the first flat round the corner. on the high street. (old flats)
The kitchen and bedroom window overlooks the new car park.
The outlook is lovely now with the new car park for the new flats and a small garden with shrubs and flowers. It really is a lovely view.
I have lived around here all of my life and at one stage delivered the post to caves.
It just goes to show how things do change over time.

John, This isn't the view I promised you but for now one of Malcolm Keelys of the ACE. Geaorge told me once that old man Cave had always had a hankering to own an AEC but left it too late to get a new one so he bought the ACE instead.

Mike

John,
At last, the promised view. Here on a fine summers day a few years back the ACE arrives on the 148 and follows me driving WMT Metrobus 3056 on the 49 (outbound to Northfield) into Station Road, Solihull.
Mike

Hi. Mike. Thanks for the photo, another cracker, hope to see you next week at Brislington. John.

Hi. Mike. Sorry but the photo isnt there, the 149 ran from City to Solihull station via Shirley, Widney Manor, Dorridge, Knowle and Solihull, trouble was he wouldnt have blinds made half the time, I used to try and put the destinstions on a piece of paper and stick it on the nearside window, we had another run for 6 months from Robin Hood island to Tesco,s at Monkspath, number 123, but no destinations up at all, hardly anyone ever used it because no body knew where it was going to or from, then they used to moan about it running empty, but they didnt like any body to suggest anything that may have helped. the 197s and 196s were his best payers, helped with the Centro subsidy. Cheers. John.
Things haven't changed much in Cornwall. Worked for First (Western National) few years ago, still had busses with no blinds and had to use bits of paper with destination on.

I found this photo of one of Caves old charabangs that I used to drive, this was taken at Cleethorpes, it had belonged to Edinburgh transport originally this vehicle, and I went back in it twice up there for 5 day visits with a kids football team from Shirley.

Hi. Mike. Thats great to see 206 SC, where do you keep finding them from, you never cease to amaze me. heres another one of 205 SC in caves yard with some more of his thoroughbreds.

Back