• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cause of Discharge?

Ignominy i make it. Pretty inclusive term , but sounds quite serious, whatever the reason
Mike

Ignominy? (Meaning dishonourable conduct) Perhaps - but it's awful handwriting, see the 'Birmingham' above looks as if its spelled with six 'i's!
is the last letter 'g' as in Birmingham? Something '-ing?'

Ignominy, Ignominy, they ve all got it Ignominy !

Sorry to Kenneth Williams ,I could'nt resist it....Arkrite will climb back in the cupboard now.

Ignominy,possably the lowest form of character distinction you could have as a discharge from the military what ever he had done it was extremly bad,!!

Ignominy,possably the lowest form of character distinction you could have as a discharge from the military what ever he had done it was extremly bad,!!

I have discovered the reason behind the discharge and it was because the person had deserted whilst based in England so hardly the lowest form of character distinction in this case.
And let's not forget the men who went AWOL whilst suffering from shellshock etc who on return/captured were shot - this being an accepted form of punishment in it's time!!!! And I doubt their characters today would be charged with Ignominy.

They wouldn't have considered it that bad today , but remember that, back in those times, indeed up to the end of WW1, one was expected to obey ones "betters" through thick and thin, even though many of their betters were inbred, self-seeking, likely syphilytic, and interested only in glory and subjugating whatever "inferiors" they found for the sake of their God and their Queen/King. Nowadays its only bankers and financiers that think that way
mike

They wouldn't have considered it that bad today , but remember that, back in those times, indeed up to the end of WW1, one was expected to obey ones "betters" through thick and thin, even though many of their betters were inbred, self-seeking, likely syphilytic, and interested only in glory and subjugating whatever "inferiors" they found for the sake of their God and their Queen/King. Nowadays its only bankers and financiers that think that way
mike

Thanks Mikejee
I couldn't have said/explained it any better.

I was'nt making a personal statement only saying what that ment in military terms then, and discussing the word used on this mans discharge. In this day and age we accept that for some reasons people take this or that action, at that time it would have been totally unacceptable by all ranks, mates or not. The english equivalent is "Ignoble" or in modern words "cowardly", in military circles this is viewed as extreamly bad.

Hi All,

It would be interesting to know the date of this discharge and where from. Nothing on the thread seems to give a clue.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy
Place of discharge was Birmingham 23rd October 1890

Hi,

That explains why he got away with a discharge. In 1890 we were at peace. Those poor souls executed during WW1 were deemed to have deserted in the face of the enemy.

Old Boy

Back