• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

A Black and white (same shot as Bernie's nice colour one), with some added historical info for you. Had a decent football side when I played against them for the Victoria, further down in the early 60s.

Marquis of Lorne  Cattell Road 1935.jpg

absolutely fantastic! If anyone has any more I would be really grateful. I would like to display them above the fireplace in the pub if thats ok

Thanks very much Bernie, thats wonderful. By the way, I was born in Garrison Lane, now live in Solihull and Nariz azul is bluenose in Spanish!!

Reference redken's picture BCFC entrance post #116. does anyone remember the big detached house just up on the right.?
when we were kids we called it 'The Haunted House' had a tower on top.

Nick

That is great info.

Charles and Mary Lee were in no. 85 in 1911. My grandfather was John Alfred, their son.

I have a streetplan so can work back from no. 99.

My research says my G Grandmother Mary and her daughter Myrtle made curtains from home as a business.

Cheers.

Does anyone remember the demolition yard in Cattell Road? ..1950s...
may have been known as Shipley's or Shipley & Davies?

Hi Nick

Phils my dad and on hols at the moment, but since I am told that I spent my first 18 months living at 150 Cattell Road thought it would be ok to chip in. We lived with my g-grandmother Ellen Lacey who had been there since about 1908, it sold a range of household things like paraffin and I think vegetables. We moved out in about 1955. My other g-grandfather was James Carr who lived just behind 150 in Dover Place until he died in 1933.

all the best

Dave Carr
Yes Lacy's sold vegetable weighed on old scales,my wife Betty Holt lived next door on the other side of the entry to the 4 back houses,she live at number 149,does anyone remember the Holt family,mother Alice,father jimmy,he was a coalman,then bill,Jean,Betty,patty,and Glenys

hi nick I lived at 35 templefield st. until 1959. bob allcock,
Hi Bob, I'm replying for Phil. His Grans name was Ellen Lacey and she lived and in and ran a small grocers shop at 150 Cattell Road from about 1908 until about 1955.
My dad and Mom (Phil and Frances Carr) lived there with me as baby from 1953 until 1955. My Great Grandfather Jim Carr lived in the courtyard behind the shop called Dover Place until 1934 but that really is going back a bit now!!

Back