• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

There was a Dennis Skidmore and an older brother Johnny who dealt in Records at Markets around Brum I think came from that area. Used the Broadway in the early sixties but never knew where they lived then. Does that sound promising?

Didnt Johnny Skidmore own the record shop opposite the bus garage at the top oof Kingston Hill ?

Does anyone remember a family called Skidmore who lived at 87 Cattel Road?

I remember Tom Skidmore from Cattell Road, just down from the Atlas pub. He had 2 sons, John and Dennis and a daughter named Mavis. I know that Dennis worked at T&K in Bordesley Green Road from 1950 to about 1957.

There were two Thomas Joseph Skidmores listed in Cattell Road, one at 87 and one at 84. Both were Thomas Josep and one was listed as the elder and one, his son, the younger. TJ the elder is listed at 87 from 1912 to 1950. His son is listed at 84 from 1939 to 1955, but then he is listed with a JOHN Skidmore, his son and presumably the one I knew. Percy and Joyce Skidmore are listed at 87 in 1950 and 1955 ( the lists stop there) and are obviously cousins or uncles, but for sure are related. Hope that clears things up a little. I need a lie down now...

That's my Uncle Perce and Aunty Joyce (my mom's sister). Many thanks for the look-ups.

If anyone ever met Percy Skidmore, they wouldn't forget him, he was quite a character!

Didnt Johnny Skidmore own the record shop opposite the bus garage at the top oof Kingston Hill ?

Probably Fatfingers, he was a principal partner in the Midland Record Co with Wilf Riley and I think Pete Cotterell, and employed his brother Dennis, plus characters like Billy Riley, a well known bruiser of the day, plus Billy Harrison and his wife Dot. They were all well known in all the local Market Stall situations round Brum for vinyl stuff. Jim Reeves being their most popular artiste!! I am not sure about record shops, but I guess they had to start somewhere..? Johnny was a wealthy man with Merc and all the trimmings by the time we knew him at the Broadway. He was a very fair bowler, as was Dennis, but work commitments always intervened...smashing blokes. Never belied their 'roots'.

Probably Fatfingers, he was a principal partner in the Midland Record Co with Wilf Riley and I think Pete Cotterell, and employed his brother Dennis, plus characters like Billy Riley, a well known bruiser of the day, plus Billy Harrison and his wife Dot. They were all well known in all the local Market Stall situations round Brum for vinyl stuff. Jim Reeves being their most popular artiste!! I am not sure about record shops, but I guess they had to start somewhere..? Johnny was a wealthy man with Merc and all the trimmings by the time we knew him at the Broadway. He was a very fair bowler, as was Dennis, but work commitments always intervened...smashing blokes. Never belied their 'roots'.

I remember him from when I was a little kid, probably through my Dads long time friendship with Billy Riley.
Throughly nice bloke from what I remember.

The shop on Kingston Hill was a cafe by the late 60s, cant remember if it was frequented by Skinheads or Hells Angels now, but definitely one or the other.

Can I ask how your old chap knew old Billy if you can recall?

On another tack, I bought my second proper bike from a shop somewhere before the Victoria St, Bordesley Green Junction called SCOTTS I think. A Carlton, a ten speed Benelux geared lightweight beauty. Only to find my rival for my girlfriend, who stole her in the end, had a Claud Butler. The dogs testicles of bikes in those days. His name was Colin Scott ( no connection I think) , hers I can't remember. Odd That....it must be a male thing. Anyone remember this Shop?

OK thanks, got the message. I have heard of the family name. Will investigate further.

Meanwhile here is a photo of Billy Riley and Dennis Skidmore in our Broadway Midweek champions side circa 1970 to confirm we are talking about the same fellas. Dennis is bottom left crouching, and Bill is far right back row. Third from Left is Johnny Maturi of the Small Heath knife grinder family. Some may remember their shop in Coventry Road?

OK thanks, got the message. I have heard of the family name. Will investigate further.

Meanwhile here is a photo of Billy Riley and Dennis Skidmore in our Broadway Midweek champions side circa 1970 to confirm we are talking about the same fellas. Dennis is bottom left crouching, and Bill is far right back row. Third from Left is Johnny Maturi of the Small Heath knife grinder family. Some may remember their shop in Coventry Road?

Yeah, thats Bill, only thing missing is his pipe !

I only remember Johnny Skidmore, and last time i saw him I was probably about 15 or so, cant remember any of the others.

Look carefully, it's in his hand!

Den

Yeah hadnt spotted that..
Other familiar faces, cant put names to are back row centre and is the one on the far left a guy called Geoff - lived in Victoria St ?

Couldbe that I know them from the Broadway though, I used it a lot myself from about 73 till about 76

Can I ask how your old chap knew old Billy if you can recall?

On another tack, I bought my second proper bike from a shop somewhere before the Victoria St, Bordesley Green Junction called SCOTTS I think. A Carlton, a ten speed Benelux geared lightweight beauty. Only to find my rival for my girlfriend, who stole her in the end, had a Claud Butler. The dogs testicles of bikes in those days. His name was Colin Scott ( no connection I think) , hers I can't remember. Odd That....it must be a male thing. Anyone remember this Shop?

This place ?

Yeah, that's the one!! Gosh I can smell the place- the rubber and metal polish. Brilliant. See, I knew it was something Scottish.... Cheers Col. That bike was my social and domestic standby for years. Cycled all the way from Stechford to the QE Hospital every day, rain or shine for three years before I could afford a car. Good in the fog though, crap in the snow and ice. Remember those pea-soupers? Dinner was a shilling for fish and chips in Harborne, Day's expenditure transport and food, 5P in todays dosh. Not bad eh?

Hello Dennis my husband worked for Maturi in the 60s

The former Coventry Rd bus garage opposite Cattel Rd/Morrisons Supermarket now has 2 car repair garages in the big doors entrance. Len.

Lyn

In reply to your PM, these are the only photos of Cattell Rd that I have that are not already posted to this thread.

There is one of Ashley's Garage at the Coventry Rd junction with Cattell Rd, another of the other side of the road showing a tram crossing the front of The Greenway PH. There is an old one of The Atlas PH at the junction of Garrison Lane and finally one of the Marquis of Lorne before it had changed its name to Shannon's.

Phil

SmallHeathCattellRd1959.jpg
SmallHeathCoventryRd-CattellRdJunction.jpg

SmallHeathCattelRdGarrisonLaneTheAtlas.jpg
SmallHeathMarqessofLorneCattellRd.jpg

Lyn

In reply to your PM, these are the only photos of Cattell Rd that I have that are not already posted to this thread.

There is one of Ashley's Garage at the Coventry Rd junction with Cattell Rd, another of the other side of the road showing a bus crossing the front of The Greenway PH. There is an old one of The Atlas PH at the junction of Garrison Lane and finally one of the Marquis of Lorne when it had changed its name to Shannon's.

Phil

The Marquis used to have a big glass(I think) sort of dome thingy on the corner of the roof, missing in this pic. Seems a shame when architectural features like that are removed dunnit. Anybody know how it got its name, and who was the Marquis of Lorne ??

If I remember right, the Gaffer was murdered in the pub during the mid 80s.

Hi my family lived in Templefield street till they were knocked down ,my grandparents pat kane and Ida, my granddad drank at the Marquis. Their daugther Sheila Kane [Keating]

Hi Kim, I lived in Templefield St. I knew you Grandparents Pat and Ida and went to infant school with Sheila, is Sheila still about?
Nick

Kim, in the 1950s one of the crowd I went dancing with lived somewhere round there.His name was Laurence(les) Kane. Any relation?

Back