• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

Brummie Nick... just shows how unobservant I am. Until a few weeks ago, we'd been using the Blues' car park behind the school for years without noticing the changes. :rolleyes:

my gran had a shop at 154 cattell rd from about 1906 to 1954.I also went to work at lawtons in doris rd and garrison lane from 1942 to46. phil carr.

Hi Nick

Phils my dad and on hols at the moment, but since I am told that I spent my first 18 months living at 150 Cattell Road thought it would be ok to chip in. We lived with my g-grandmother Ellen Lacey who had been there since about 1908, it sold a range of household things like paraffin and I think vegetables. We moved out in about 1955. My other g-grandfather was James Carr who lived just behind 150 in Dover Place until he died in 1933.

all the best

Dave Carr

I lived in camp street the road faceing marqurs of lorne we lived half in camp street and the corner of garrison lane over the road was raggi allan has any body any photos my moms name was oakley

I lived in camp street the road faceing marqurs of lorne we lived half in camp street and the corner of garrison lane over the road was raggi allan has any body any photos my moms name was oakley

barbara I remember you're Mom, Here's a picture taken before your time there.

:Dthanks brummi nick very kind of you It was nice to see. just wondering If any body has got any photos a bit later 19-50 -to 19 60 s thank you barbara

When I lived there 1953 - 1960, the pub on the corner of Arsenal St and Cattell Rd was the Marquis of Lorne, still standing all alone after demolition many years later. The next time I went by, the name of the pub had changed.

It changed it's name to The Roost and it's still called that despite having been shut and boarded up for a good while. Now reopened and rather nicely refurbished. Popular on match days.......

Ian

The attached picture is probably the nearest I can find to Cattell Rd & Arsenal St. I do hope that someone can do better though, Bill. This is an area of interest to me as I had family at 136 Cattell Rd.

What a belter. My dad was born 99 Cattell Rd (Denis Williams - 1922), the first house next to the pub. Brilliant find. Tilton Road was once Kelynge Street, and I started life as a Bluenose in 1947 on the Tilton, collecting paper tea cups and making them into a snake. Been a fanatic ever since.

I was looking after bikes at the back of gans, who had shop at 150 from 1906 to 1953. We would get a old penny a bike when the men would go to the match. This was in the 30s. Later in the 40s i worked lawtons in doris rd at the top of garrison lane. phil carr.

Barbara00 - I think you can print B&W negs on a flatbed scanner via the transparency doodah. Are the negs of pics from round here, or family shots?

Anybody else remember Dyers, Shop up towards the atlas, sold things like car parts and electrical stuff I think, and used to repair radios / bikes / just about anything else...

Used to charge an extra penny on everything after 7 pm.

Anybody else remember Dyers, Shop up towards the atlas, sold things like car parts and electrical stuff I think, and used to repair radios / bikes / just about anything else...

Used to charge an extra penny on everything after 7 pm.

I remember him well. He was an ambulance driver at night. His little store reminded my of something out of "Oliver". He sold anything he could that would generate money. Sly, but honest

Thinking about it, between Dyers, the shop on Cattell Rd next to the chip shop ( Richardsons ?? ) the one in Arsenal St, and a good few others, you could get hold of more or less anything till quite late. although there were some strange regulations about what you could and couldnt buy on Sunday.

a bit like 'convenience stores' now, but with a different sort of service.

Thinking about it, between Dyers, the shop on Cattell Rd next to the chip shop ( Richardsons ?? ) the one in Arsenal St, and a good few others, you could get hold of more or less anything till quite late. although there were some strange regulations about what you could and couldnt buy on Sunday.

I remember a shop ref
using to sell my dad a lightbulb on a sunday once, and I couldnt get flour to make paste with, cos you could only buy self raising on sundays. and tha chip shop opposite the Waldorf / Embassy used to open sundays, but could only sell pie and chips, not Fish. All these things eem unconnected to me, wonder What the thinking was behind it.

The only thing I remember about the fish and chip shop next to the Marquis was a young lady by the name of Elaine, whose parents ran the shop. She also worked at Wimbushes

Terrific shots Winston. Can you tell me which book they are from? I thought I had all the BGE Tram books from David Harvey. This a shot I don't recognise. I know. I am a proper Tram nerd...

Terrific shots Winston. Can you tell me which book they are from? I thought I had all the BGE Tram books from David Harvey. This a shot I don't recognise. I know. I am a proper Tram nerd...
hello dennis.
i have looked through all the books i have and cannot find those photos. it maybe that i got them off the internet.perhaps e-bay postcards.i did find one of the photos on this site. https://www.smallheathcircle.com/ but can no longer find it.will keep looking.
best wishes.
sorry for the late posting.

Dennis & Winston
The 2 pictures with text are from "Birmingham in the Electric Tramway Era", , photos by W A Camwell, pub by BTHG 1983 , compiled by D F Potter, J S Webb & Ray Wilson
Mike

Dennis & Winston
The 2 pictures with text are from "Birmingham in the Electric Tramway Era", , photos by W A Camwell, pub by BTHG 1983 , compiled by D F Potter, J S Webb & Ray Wilson
Mike

Cheers Mike (and Winston). You are both diamonds. Have managed to find it on Amazon. Brilliant Forum.

There was a Dennis Skidmore and an older brother Johnny who dealt in Records at Markets around Brum I think came from that area. Used the Broadway in the early sixties but never knew where they lived then. Does that sound promising?

Back