• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cato Street North

cato st, north

hi, have a pic of my back garden at 58 Cato st north, thats me in pic lol it be great if ther any pics of the front of the house, i lived ther as a child from 1958 until 1970 also attended bloomsbury school. my granddad alfie griffin, lived in clements rd, big house filled the corner, facing the albion pub, at the side the old bike/helmet shop and frank`s sweet shop, i rember factory too,
Photo unfortunately lost

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pinky, I used to live at No 7 Cato Street North in the 50's and went to Bloomsbury Street school between 1956 - 1960/61.

Do you remember the 'Bull' - a loud sound from the gas works at Nechells every morning?

keith :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kieth, my aunt and uncle lived in cato street north and they kept an outdoor called the ROB ROY if I can remember right about the name. I am sure that is the one in your photo. What a suprise to see it. here names were Olive and Phil Kilroy and they had two girls Annette and Susan. My other uncle Eno and Winnie used to keep the Sportsman round the corner.

hi keith, yeh i do rember the morning call lol my friend lived near number 7. her names was margret o`hagans , also remember fruit shop, and my fav shoe shop, browns, i think... and parish, the paper shop, be nice if ther was any pics ther, i would like to meke a donation but av`nt got paypal. is sending post order ok ?

I took this on the 2nd of November, the old place looks a bit of a state now. I worked in this place for about six months in about 1963. In the tube bending shop.

Phil

Attachments

• Cato St North 2 Nov 2008 .jpg
    Cato St North 2 Nov 2008 .jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 23
hi,all. there was a small shop next to the sweet shop,opp the helmet shop.can any one remember what was sold there?.was it electrical tat.?

I took this on the 2nd of November, the old place looks a bit of a state now. I worked in this place for about six months in about 1963. In the tube bending shop.

Phil

Phil, can you help me out with the history of this place please? I know it was a mill, similar to JN Miller in olverhampton, but was last used around 1984. Much of the stuff I photographed in there was from that time, when it was used for Asian food stuffs production(still flour production!)

Rember from the photo what been posted , Franks sweet shop what in view and the Helmet shop ... there was a shop over the road facing the Albion pub name Margaret does any one from the St, rember them ...

hi pinky, in ynys mon.i remember the helmet shop,and i dont think i ever saw it open.also turners scrap yard next door,and the sweet shop op side of the road .op the pub next to the sweetshop/grocers was a small shop.electrics i think,but cant remember.can you remember it?

Hi Pete, yeah that right helmet shop never open i think his name was Mr Payne and he worked else were , i use to always be in the little electrical shop facing pub my mom was friends with his wife Lewie and we used go in the back play .. im hoping to go and stay in the pub so i have my last sleep in Cato ST, North bring on the old days plus the street was haunted but no one ever believes what you see ... Ha Ha ...

Roberta :)

hi pinky i did not know of a ghost in the street.but the buildings was strange. i went to bloomsbury st school 1n 1950s.
i go to a club your way llanfairpwllgwyngyll

I went to Bloomsbury school too in the 1950s then on to Eliot st, just had to chuckle ... LLANFAIR PG .. pass it when go shopping to Bangor on the train .. did you live Cato St, North ?

no pinky.i lived in nechells cattells grove.went to b/street then in 1969 i went to elliot st.i passed that shop when i fetched coke/coal for folks
to ern a few bob at the weekends.it was a hard job pushing it up that hill.
as for ghost there are a few here.but that is another story.

small world my nan lived Cattells grove they called her Pem i put a photo of her but its on my profile .. she always had dogs and snuff every one seemed to no her in Nechells . play her up .. yeah rember that hill my mom brought me pair of roller skates when the number 8 came i hung on be pulled up the hill still got the scars today ..

regards Roberta

hi keith, yeh i do rember the morning call lol my friend lived near number 7. her names was margret o`hagans , also remember fruit shop, and my fav shoe shop, browns, i think... and parish, the paper shop, be nice if ther was any pics ther, i would like to meke a donation but av`nt got paypal. is sending post order ok ?

i lived on cato street north also remeber margaret ohagen and the shannons our name mckinnon

Hi Pauline,

Gertrude Hart's shop was at 54 Devon Street. and on the entrance to court number 11 Cato Street.

Well that Ford Anglia model was around from about 1962 to 1967, a classic car that I loved. Is that an Austin A30 on the right too?

Back