• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cathy Come Home Film

DPL

knowlegable brummie
A short video introduction By Ken Loach: https://vimeo.com/13105600

This social explosion of a seminal film was released in the year of 1966. The following trivial anecdote occurred the year before in 1965 and thus, a valid excuse for posting as such in this film’s penultimate half century anniversary.

In 1965 I was a ‘model-perfect’ [sic] pupil at Harry Lucas Secondary School in Farm Street Hockley. The school never quite achieved the introduction of ‘Rhodes Scholar Status’ for its students despite the monumental efforts (mainly in vain) of its headmaster, Mr John Walker. The man looked for all intents and purposes like the Scottish actor David Haymen with perhaps a touch of the Bill Paterson’s about him: small in stature with a definite aura of menace.

He was born into abject poverty in Little King Street, just off Great King Street. This pearl of information was divulged to me during one of his many, many lectures I personally received – delivered with his customary wagging finger whilst a cane swished the air with swash! It would be many years later before I came to appreciate his devotion to his calling, and it was a devout calling for him, for he had the wherewithal to be headmaster in any school of his choosing yet, he chose the school most near to his abject poverty birthplace.

And so it came to pass, that about this time of year in the year of 1965 and certainly around the Easter holidays, Johnny Walker addressed the morning school assembly. On stage with him were one or more probably two strangers. These strangers (so Walker went on to explain) were going to make a film, a cinematic film about the area we lived in. The strangers were looking for people from the area to cast in this film, including pupils from Harry Lucas School. We were told to ask out parents for their verbal consent (or words to that effect) and the following day the two strangers would go from classroom to classroom and watch us during playtime to pick and cast those pupils they needed for filming.

You can imagine the buzz from the school assembly that day - we had visions of Hollywood stardom with starring-roles in another Cliff Richard ‘Summer Holiday’ or the prospects for realising my secret desire of kissing Hayley Mills on a deserted island somewhere in the Pacific. With these fanciful notions filling our heads all of the day and most of the night, and our parents informed of the pending auditions - zinc baths were filled, children were bathed and it wasn’t even a Friday!

The following morning school assembly looked and smelled like a Sunday’s apparition: children adorned in pristine pressed clothes; hair Brylcreemed or starched to within an inch of coiffured perfection whilst shoes shone sans scuffs – many boys polluted the air with Hai Karate aftershave scent, whilst girls dabbed just a soupcon of Woolworth’s eau de cologne, ‘Soir de Paris by Bourjois’ behind their ears just as Audrey Hepburn had shown them.

The result from this monumental midweek transformation was nothing...zilch...zero!Not a single school pupil was selected, not one. Johnny Walker was most probably the only person with an induced proud smile that day - proud that his pupils had risen to the occasion yet the occasion was not what the filmmakers needed. As we all now know, they required a bleak and barren landscape with a bleak and barren cast, a cast of dirty, snotty, downtrodden and disheartened poor souls. If only they had said that from the outset, I could be snotty, I could be dirty and I definitely know I could play the downtrodden and disheartened, all I required for that desolate motivation was the knowledge I would never kiss Hayley Mills...

FACTS:

1) Fifteen days after the screening of ‘Cathy Come Home’, Shelter was launched by five church housing-association trusts on the tide of public emotion.

2) The writer for ‘Cathy’, Eton and Oxford-educated Jeremy Sandford had experienced first-hand the lives of those in Battersea after moving from fashionable Chelsea. When a neighbour and her children were evicted and placed in a centre for homeless families, he started to investigate the homeless problem. Sandford wrote articles about homelessness for Sunday newspapers and a radio documentary before penning the script that was to become ‘Cathy Come Home’.

3) After ‘Cathy’ was screened, the standard local authority policy for separating homeless families, with mother and children taken into shelters and fathers having to fend for themselves was abolished.

LINK:
Ken Loach's Youtube Chanel. https://www.youtube.com/user/KenLoachFilms where the full length feature of 'Cathy Come Home' can be viewed.

just clicked on the you tube link thats on above post and was looking forward to watching cathy come home..something i have wanted to watch for ages but cant find a copy of it....just found out we have to pay to watch it...i think ive got that right...

lyn

Last edited:
Dear Lynn

In the lead-up to the film's half-century, the previous free-view has been changed by BBC Worldwide to a pay-per-view. You'll just have to pay or wait till next year when it will be repeated ad nauseam.

There are some Dark-Net Sites that have free full versions of this film but it's a case of caveat emptor and beware of the malware.

hi DPL..its not that i mind paying but i would imagine we have to give our bank details and i am always careful about doing that...im ok now as ive sorted a copy out...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Hi

have seen it for sale on amazon for under 6 pound plus delivery,unless you spend over 10 pounds, then delivery is free, according to the website.

Steve

i could never find it for sale when ive looked steve...have a particular interest apart from the topic...our dads grandparents ran the rose and crown in hingeston st in 1929 where i believe some of the film was shot...dad lived there with his parents from a month old and his christening party was held at the pub...hoping to see a couple of shots of the street before demo

lyn

Hi Lyn I looked the other night and it was on Amazon at the price I mentioned,it would be good if you can see your grandparents pub. Steve

hi steve...one of our members very kindly sent me a copy so i have now seen it....very hard hitting certainly for its day...cathy and reg treated badly by the authorities and the rent man resulting in their children being taken by social servies through no fault of their own...they tried so very hard..days after the film was made the charity crisis was set up and the year after shelter was set up such was the impact on the plight of the homeless in birminghams most deprived areas...many shots of hingeston st and the insides of the houses..back yards etc using the people from the street as extras and their names are given in the credits and one of cathy and reg walking towards prescott st..there is one scene shot in a pub and i am for now asuming that it was inside the rose and crown also key hill cemetary is shown which is more or less opposite hingeston st..being into social history it has given me more of an insight into why folk moved around from house house so much....i have one rellie who had so many addresses ive lost count...wont give too much away just in case other members buy the film...i shall be watching it again this weekend as im sure i must have missed things first time round even though i was hitting the pause button a few times and taking screen shots..

lyn

Last edited:
thanks wend just had a look and actually all of the film is on youtube think it goes up to part 13....

lyn

Yes it does Lyn, I just thought I would link the first part for people who hadn't seen it.

It is so nice to read about 'Cathy Come Home' A small part of it was filmed in Hingeston Street up our 'back yard' My Mum had a small part in it, as did my sister. My sister obtained a copy of it from 'Amazon'

Ken Loach & Jeremy Sanford on the set of "Cathy Come Home" in Birmingham, this might possibly have been a back court in Hingeston St.

Attachments

• Set of Cathy Come Home Ken Loach & Jeremy Sanford.jpg
    Set of Cathy Come Home Ken Loach & Jeremy Sanford.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 20
Back