• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cateswell Cottage(s) Green Lane & Cateswell Road, Hall Green

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Good Evening All.

A friend and I are trying to find out more about Harry Longfield who on his marriage cert to my friend's Great Aunt Mary Kathleen Powell in Aston in 1916 was shown as living at Cateswell Cottage in Green Lane Hall Green. We have no idea if this was a family home or if he was a lodger. At the moment we are trying to build a tree for him to see if he connects to Alexander Brown and his wife Henretta who are there on the 1911.

As far as we know he was from Leeds - this is what his family believe, and indeed he & Mary moved there at some point, and there they remained. None of his grandchildren recall him having any relatives. The best they can come up with is that his mother was a single Irish girl, or so they believe. They do not know when & where he died as the marriage eventually failed and Mary found a new partner, but did not re-marry until 1953.

This has led us to question how the cottage or cottages if there were more, got their name. Close by is Cateswell Road so why weren't the Cateswell Cottages in Cateswell Road for instance? There is still a cottage in Green Lane which could even be it but at the moment nothing to confirm that. We've Googled and anything else we can think of to find where the Cateswell name came from. We are both Brummies and we've always believed that most Birmingham names had some significance; we just can't find this with Cateswell.

Any knowledge or thoughts would be very welcome. Many thanks. Jill

Cateswell was a large house on the Stratford Road, almost opposite which Cateswell Lane was later built and developed. Green Road ran to the north of the estate, and so any cottages on the north side would , probably, have an address in Green Road. The maps below show the area in c 1905, c1915 and c 1937, I think therefore that cateswell cottage(s) would have been the attached pair of cottages on green road in all three maps. They do not seem to be there now on google

map_c_1904_around_cateswell_stratford_rd.jpg

map_c_1915_around_cateswell_startford_road.jpg

map_c_1937_around_cateswell2C_stratford_road.jpg

Back