• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Catchem Gate later Aston Cross

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone heard of a Catchem Gate? Apparently Cathem's End was on old name for Aston Cross because of the Catcem Gates. One of the barred the entrance to Turnpike Lane, now Park Lane and the other barred the road to Lichfield. The photo shows the catchem gate across Park Lane, at the time when the wall surrounding the grounds of Aston Hall adjoined Park Lane. The gates were removed about 1862, when the name Aston Cross was generally adopted.

Not something I have heard before, but I do know there is a Catchems End in Bewdley.

catchem gate.jpg

Has anyone heard of a Catchem Gate? Apparently Cathem's End was on old name for Aston Cross because of the Catcem Gates. One of the barred the entrance to Turnpike Lane, now Park Lane and the other barred the road to Lichfield. The photo shows the catchem gate across Park Lane, at the time when the wall surrounding the grounds of Aston Hall adjoined Park Lane. The gates were removed about 1862, when the name Aston Cross was generally adopted.

Not something I have heard before, but I do know there is a Catchems End in Bewdley.

View attachment 148795

There are a numbers of Catchem/s Corners in the country, including locally in Wolverhampton and Balsall Common. These were nicknames usually for tollgates on the turnpike roads where a fee had to be paid by travellers to the gatekeeper who would 'catch'em'. This Catchems Corner was the popular name of the tollgate at the junction of the Lichfield Road with Park Lane and Rocky Lane at Aston Cross.

On first look I can't see any reference to Catchem's Gate. In 1847 there is freehold land to be sold at the corner of Aston Road and Park Lane, opposite the Toll Gate and Aston Cross...

It must be another name for the tollgate. Here is the notice for removal of the tollgate at Aston Cross in 1867

removal of the aston cross tollgate dinner.jpg

It could be that the locals would refer to the Cross as Catchem's Gate. The Catchem's Corner in Bilston on the other hand was commonly used in 1825.

Back in 1825 it looks like the Aston Cross Tavern was referred to as the Cross Tavern.

The Aston Cross Tavern opened as a licensed house and tea garden in 1795; when the first landlord, Mr Barron, died his widow kept it on and ran it until her death in 1817. (The story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Williams, Ken.)

Considering there was almost 90 years between them, the 2 photographs showing the left hand side of Park Lane (Park Hall Lane) appear remarkably similar. The wall of Aston Park would eventually give way to numerous buildings including the amazing billiard rooms although I have read somewhere what the original function of this building was, I can't find the reference at present.

Attachments

• park-lane-turnpike.jpg
    park-lane-turnpike.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 9
Back