• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cat Gut Lane.

acklam19

master brummie
Hi All.

You may remember me from a previous life when I called myself Steerboy but I moved to Wootton Wawen two years ago and this will be my first querie under my new name.

I was at B.ham Library today in search of my ancestor Letitia Mole1822 who was buried in St Mary's Whittall Street on 28 March 1824 her parents address was Cat Gut Lane and I was wondering if anyone has come across it as its a new one on me and Google by the looks of it.

Any help welcome regards Acklam19.

Not listed in the 1845 Bitmingham directory, so must have disappeared before then

mike as this is a most unusual name i googled it.. on the roots web site it says that in the 1949 directory it was listed as catgut row and it was just off 41 pershore st...dont know how reliable this info is but it was the name that caught my eye...not much chance of me finding a pic unless it remained and changed name some years later...

lyn

I think you mean 1859 Lyn, not 1949. Yes it is listed in the list of streets in Whites 1859 directory as at 41 Pershore St. , though it does not give any addresses in Catgut Row.(though this not surprising for a small street or alley, possibly just holding poor housing. The 1849 PO directory does not mention it, though the 1862 Corporation directory did. The 1862 directory also mentioned Smithfield passage, which i did at first think might be a later name for the Row, but this ruled it out. . It certainly leads off Pershore st on the east side between Edgebaston St and Smithfield passage. These are shown on the 1889 map below. I think it may have gone by then. . Whether Catgut Row is the same as Catgut Lane I do not know. However the 1839 map shows the area to the east of that part of Pershore St to be almost empty of buildings or roads other than what was later called Smithfield Passage (though it is not named on the map). It is complicated in that the 1833 Wrightson’s directory lists Catgut row as being off Dean St. I think it likely that the Lane was in that area, but whether it just disappeared or was renamed i do not know
mike

areaofcatgutpassagemapc1889.jpg

thanks for all that mike thats most interesting....but what a name..lol..

lyn

Possibly irrelevent, but pre 1840 there was a maufacturer of Catgut listed in the directories, William Jones, whose business was at 59 Edgebaston St, which washave been close to the area in question
Mike

Hi Both.

Many thanks for the info, its as near as I will get I suppose but it ties in nicely with the rest of their lives which was spent in the Bordesley district of Brum.

Regards Acklam19.

Back