• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Vale

maybe the houses are gone now,i dont know but wondered about the residents that lived at 18 raf dwellings chester road as i wanted to locate them,i know they were there in the 70s but dont know about after that

thx mohawk but i was wondering about the raf dwellings on chester road,is this them??
dandude
Hi dandude,
They were within the boundary of the airfield so I would think they belonged to the RAF. There only appears to be seven of them and were probably housing for officers. Modern housing was built around them.
A view of the back of them in the Google link below but not possible to see house numbers.
https://goo.gl/maps/hvDX9R9WGkLAwAWP8
oldmohawk ... :)

thx mohawk,its so hard to try and find old friends,i only knew their address in the 70s as 18 raf dwellings,chester road castle vale,erdington,birmingham.i just hope someone reads my thread that can help me.

dandude

Dave I think that’s the house I remember. It seemed odd to me standing alone on the edge of the estate. Viv.

It was TK Ales, aka Thomas Keresley Brewery. I didn't much care for their range of beers and most people were happy to see the Ansells takeover.

I have a feeling that TK were based in Mansfield or that vicinity bur I'll be happy to be corrected.

Ian
Just reading through this thread so it's a very late contribution to this subject.

I had a friend who moved onto Castle Vale in 1966 and, during his time there we used to drink in The Trees. As it was run by an unusual brewery for the area, I enquired about it and this is what I was told. It's 55 years ago but this is how I remember the explanation.

I remember the brewery as Thornley-Kelsey of Leamington Spa (Hence the TK Brewery I suppose). I was told that they had lost the licence of a pub around the Bath Row area of Birmingham due to redevelopment and had, by way of compensation, been awarded the licence for The Trees, Castle Vale. There is a slight coincidence that this brewery had connections with Davenports Brewery which was also on Bath Row. I don't have any further information regarding the pub around the Bath Row area and I couldn't say that it was specifically in Bath Row; just in that area.

Would do not know which pub you refer to, but it would have been owned by them from their takeover of Kelsey's Brewery in Henry St. according to McKenna's "Birmingham Breweries" they owned 4 pubs

Hi Irene. The last time I was there was in about 1980. used to catch the #64 up Tangemere Drive to Reid Square. Tangemere Drive was dominated by the long row of tower blocks. Was amazed to see most of these have now gone (according to the link in post #81). Think there were a couple of suicides from those blocks. But local authorities learned lessons from these and blocks at such a height are no longer built.

The other thing I remember about CV is I found it quite difficult to find my way around. A lot of similarity in the roads etc. As I understand it, in some parts new housing around squares have since been developed.

Going way back, my dad told me about the aircraft from the factory on Kingsbury Road which used to be wheeled across the road onto the airfield (later becoming the CV estate). In the 1970s I think there was still an old RAF house/building on the edge of the estate - near the canal side, going towards Tyburn House. Was wondering if it's still there. Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-172508_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-172508_Maps.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
I remember there being a single house on the edge of Castle Vale, almost next to the canal (up from Tyburn House). Looked like it was built in about the 1930s. Would this have been an ex-RAF house ? It definitely wasn’t part of the Castle Vale estate development and would have been on the the very edge of the former airfield. The house was still there into the late 1970s/early 80s. Viv.
Would it be this house?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-172904_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-172904_Maps.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Aerial 'then and now' views of the area. In the old view the buildings by canal lock and the island on the Chester Road can be seen and some trainer biplanes on the airfield to the left of the hanger.
CBAirfield1948.jpg

The buildings by the canal lock are still there and of course the Chester Road island.
Screenshot (721).jpg

if anyone knows of the wood family from 18 raf dwellings,chester road ,castle vale,erdington,please let me know as im looking for an ol friend
dandude
I knew Robert Wood who lived in RAF Dwellings, had a sister named Julie. Think their dad was an engineer for Severn Trent who bought up a lot of the RAF houses for their employees. Not seen Rob for a couple of years, think he'd moved to Erdington but was still going to Villa matches regularly....

I also lived on the Castle Vale Estate from about 1968-1978. I went to Castle Vale Comp and know most of the pubs that have been mentioned. I also went to Chivenor Primary school on the vale. I was great back then as our house was brand new and it felt like luxuary compared to where we had lived. At the comp we had house teams named after the planes used in the war. I was in the gladiator team and my sister was in the spitfire team the third was known as hurricane. I also used to go to the Astral club (more of a youth after school hang out). The big tower block of flats opposite where we lived (Concorde Tower) as since been pulled down as I remember. I loved the vale back then but have been away for so long so not sure what it is like now.
I went astral club

Back