• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Inn Church Lane Aston

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Can’t find a thread for this Aston pub. Let me know if you find one. This drawing of the pub is from May 1909. Viv.

F1B4DC2A-783E-47F7-B836-DDA6F9AE8F45.jpeg

Well in 1908 he was a Beer Retailer at number 2 Bright Street Aston.....Also I cannot find a Castle Inn in Church Lane in 1908, 1913..., he may have had the idea of turning his beer retailer into The Castle .....he did died quiet wealthy in 1957, leaving a few thousand pounds to his son's....

The 1904 and 1910 Kellys also show him at 2 Bright St. However the Birmingham gazette in November 1909 did have a report of the Castle Angling Society having a competition and their host, P.Gurley offering a dinner to distribute the prizes

Birm Gazette.13.11.1909.jpg

Looks like they supped some ale in the Castle in Church lane. Sporting man's pub, Angling, snooker, shooting.

Back