• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich Buses pre 1950

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Can anybody tell me the number of any bus that would have got me from the City to Castle Bromwich via Saltley prior to the inception of the 55 & 56 routes on October 1st 1950 when those routes took over from the tram service.

I realise that the 28 would have gotten me there from the city at one time although on a very convoluted route, but it wouldn't have taken me via Saltley. Was there such a route even if it was Midland Red?

You know, I went to Coleshill many times but only by bicycle. We would have ridden through Castle Bromwich to Bacons End and on to Coleshill, so probably the Midland Red would have gone to there too. Strange that I never took the bus but probably had no money in those days.

Phil, I came across this thread started by Peter Walker, you may find what you are looking for here. Its a pity that some of the pictures have been lost. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13584 I have lived in the Castle Bromwich area for many years, but I only know of the 55/56 buses. Prior to 1950 I have'nt a clue.
Almost all of those missing images are in the Coppermine Image Host. If you search in it for file names with the word 'fig' you will see them.

It's fine as I am not looking for images, but it's the information I require. It seems it's as I suspected that before 1950 the only bus that you could catch from the city that went to Castle Bromwich was the number 28 and from the plans reloaded by Mikejee it looks as if there was also a Midland Red service that run from the city through Saltley and Alum Rock. This must be the service I am looking for, does anybody know the number of this service?

I have just pulled this off the Midland Red web site "The reason why the 170/172 passed to WMPTE was because they ran mostly inside the West Midlands County. The same happened with Birmingham - Coleshill services 161, 168 and 171 (that number again!). Coleshill stayed in Warwickshire, but these services ran mainly in West Midlands County and so it made sense for WMPTE to take them over." I remember catching the 161 to Coleshill back in the 60's. The 161 went from B'ham to Coleshill via the Washwood Heath Rd via Castle Bromwich, and I think the 168 went via W/Heath Rd via Water Orton. Not sure about the 171.

I used to visit a friend in Water Orton, I caught the 170 or 171, the 170 turned round at Water Orton and the 171 went on to Coleshill.

Certainly from around 1952 onward the Midland Red 161 ran all the way to Coleshill via Water Orton, 171 only as far as Water Orton by same route, 168 to Coleshill via Bacons End.

Speedwing

The information I need is bus routes to Castle Bromwich from the city via Saltley prior to the inception of the 55 & 56 routes on October 1st 1950. Any information on Midland Red buses that covered the same route would be great.

The midland. Red. Bus number 160 kings Hurst and terminated at the bottom of over green rd and king Hurst. Rd. And
If I remember correctly at one point many years ago our bazzm lived out there as well also if she does not mind me
Mentioning it it was our Wendy or a friend or relief to her
Lived in the same block as myself with my first wife we lived at 27 wing field house and so she did or friend or relief
Because I recall her giving out a number for donations for the key hill and cemetrys on this forum
And they was on the floor be.ow us way back then
But never or less our bazzm will be able to tell us as he lived at a couple of address,s out king Hurst. And in those days
Especially in the winter if you had no car you was snookered especially in the winter
That dammed bus never came from brum in. Ad weather or it was very bad and you was either late for work or never went
Best wishes astonian

Speedwing

The information I need is bus routes to Castle Bromwich from the city via Saltley prior to the inception of the 55 & 56 routes on October 1st 1950. Any information on Midland Red buses that covered the same route would be great.

All of the MR services mentioned (161, 168 and 171) routed via Saltley Viaduct, Washwood Heath (Fox and Goose) and The Clock Garage (City boundary) before either turning off down the Old Chester Road past Castle Bromwich Hall for Water Orton and Coleshill or straight on along Bradford Road/Chester Road for Bacons End etc.

I will stand corrected but I believe the 56 only ran to the boundary following the removal of the 10 tram service on 30th September 1950 which terminated at the Fox and Goose and meant those travelling onward to Castle Bromwich etc. would have needed to board a MR.

My knowledge stretches back to 1952 when we lived in CB and either took the 28 or 56 to the Clock Garage and legged it up the Water Orton Road or forked out the extra fare and got on a 161 or 171 outside Littlewoods in New Street.

From memory the MR buses did not pick up at intermediate stops within the boundary but only stopped to set down due to the BCT's monopoly on the main city routes. This changed in the mid/early sixties as I recall catching the MR home from outside the Sack of Potatoes in Gosta Green in college days.

Prior to the mid 20's the 161 was simply the 21 but was renumbered around 1927 to signify it being a Birmingham area service.

If you have access look at page 16 of Malcolm Keeley and Roger Torode's "Midland Red Style" where the 21 is pictured in 1927 with the route board showing Ward End, Castle Bromwich, Water Orton and Gilson.

Hello all.

Im new to this forum but have loved looking through some of the stories. I can see how enthusiastically you remember being "on the buses" and wondered if you could possibly help me to shine a light on my family tree which I'm trying to research.

I had an aunt - Flo Beecham who I believe worked as a bus conductress for 31 years. I have a newspaper clipping of when she retired, possibly around the early 70s - she's pictured sitting on the bonnet of the No 56 at Washwood Heath garage. She started working in the city in 1939, presumably on the trams as well as the buses. She lived at Arran Road, Castle Bromwich at the time of her retiral.

I've hit a brick wall with my research on that side of the family (her maiden name was Smith - how hard is it to find a Smith living in Birmingham..?!) so am hoping that someone may remember her and can provide a little detail on whether she had any family they recall (children, brothers, sisters, any other relations). I believe she may have had a sister Hilda and a brother but only know his initial - D.

Any information which may help me to trace her or her family (especially her brother Alfred who lived in Great Barr) would be the most fantastic help

Thanks in advance

Thanks for that, i was only about 14 when she retired and recognise her face, or convincing myself i do, i only remember one other female clippy (there was more ) small lady with glasses somebody either put a pic or told us her name somewhere on this forum

Hello all.

Im new to this forum but have loved looking through some of the stories. I can see how enthusiastically you remember being "on the buses" and wondered if you could possibly help me to shine a light on my family tree which I'm trying to research.

I had an aunt - Flo Beecham who I believe worked as a bus conductress for 31 years. I have a newspaper clipping of when she retired, possibly around the early 70s - she's pictured sitting on the bonnet of the No 56 at Washwood Heath garage. She started working in the city in 1939, presumably on the trams as well as the buses. She lived at Arran Road, Castle Bromwich at the time of her retiral.

I've hit a brick wall with my research on that side of the family (her maiden name was Smith - how hard is it to find a Smith living in Birmingham..?!) so am hoping that someone may remember her and can provide a little detail on whether she had any family they recall (children, brothers, sisters, any other relations). I believe she may have had a sister Hilda and a brother but only know his initial - D.

Any information which may help me to trace her or her family (especially her brother Alfred who lived in Great Barr) would be the most fantastic help

Thanks in advance
scotsbonnet, welcome to the Forum, a really good place & folks! Enjoy…….

Back