• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cashmore pistol makers

mhall

Hi all, does anyone have any information on Paul Cashmore of Newton street west bromwich from the 1850s onwards?

Cheers.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Anj
3rd BATT STAFFS RIFLE VOLUNTEERS...
Prize consisted of a handsome "new military" self-acting revolver presented by MR Paul Cashmore, West Brom....
Birmingham Daily Post AUG 1878

• Appreciate
Reactions: Anj
There's a lot of info and photos on the net about Paul Cashmore, William Cashmore, and Price & Cashmore, all gun-makers in and around Birmingham in the 19th century. From what I gather, Australia was W Cashmore's major market for his shotguns, and I also have a vague memory of reading that Annie Oakley used one. It seems that there were a lot of Cashmores involved in the gun trade back then.

G

There's a lot of info and photos on the net about Paul Cashmore, William Cashmore, and Price & Cashmore, all gun-makers in and around Birmingham in the 19th century. From what I gather, Australia was W Cashmore's major market for his shotguns, and I also have a vague memory of reading that Annie Oakley used one. It seems that there were a lot of Cashmores involved in the gun trade back then.

G
Hi Gee would you send a link of any photos or info as i can't seem to find any. Thanks.

Bee Gee ''There's a lot of info and photos on the net about Paul Cashmore, William Cashmore, and Price & Cashmore, all gun-makers in and around Birmingham in the 19th century. From what I gather, Australia was W Cashmore's major market for his shotguns, and I also have a vague memory of reading that Annie Oakley used one. It seems that there were a lot of Cashmores involved in the gun trade back then.''

William Cashmore was from Birmingham; however Paul Cashmore, along with his father, grandfather, brothers and sons who were all pistol makers resided in West Bromwich, just over the border in the Black Country, where they had a small arms factory in Newton Street, West Bromwich.

Paul Cashmore and several James, Edwins, Levis etc all resided there. Paul Cashmore designed a pistol/gun which was used by the Royal Irish Constabulary. Paul's son Edwin went to Canada with his family around 1887. Badpenny I believe they were connected to the scrap dealer and metal industry as far as I know. The above info I have confirmed through ancestral research - but have not yet made a link with the famous William Cashmore of Birmingham - who sold in Australia.

I am related to the Cashmore through my grandmother Selina Cashmore - whose father just happened to be a William Cashmore but was an engineer according to records. I was born and bred in the Black Country not far from West Bromwich but have also worked in Birmingham so know both areas pretty well.

Angela Weston (nee Dunne) Cashmore related.

G
please see my reply above.... William and Paul were two separate parts of the Cashmore family as far as I can make out. I am related to Paul Cashmore through my grandmother.... but have not yet been able to make a connection to 'that' William Cashmore who made rifles for the Australia market.

Paul Cashmore and all his extended family owned a small arms factory in Newton Street West Bromwich - where Paul was responsible for designing the guns for the Royal Irish Constabulary.

I would be interested in a link to any photographs of Paul Cashmore - as my mother was estranged from her family I have no idea what they look like - but my grandmother was Selina Cashmore

regards

Angela Weston (nee Dunne)

3rd BATT STAFFS RIFLE VOLUNTEERS...
Prize consisted of a handsome "new military" self-acting revolver presented by MR Paul Cashmore, West Brom....
Birmingham Daily Post AUG 1878
I am related to Paul Cashmore through my grandmother Selina Cashmore.... see my comments above.

See my comments above.
Hi Mhall yes I have a wealth of information. I am related through my grandmother, as I said above, to Paul Cashmore. Paul Cashmore of James Cashmore and Phoebe Gilbert, married Sarah Marsh in 1842. Their children were Emma; Ann Allerd Cashmore who married a Welch; Edwin who married Elizabeth Winfindale and emigrated to Canada; Kate; Charles; and Frank. I believe that Paul died in 1894 but in the interim years he designed and produced guns for the Royal Irish Constabulary; awarded prizes at shooting venues . He lived in Newton Street - along with many members of his family from 1871. I believe he may have married a second time in around 1880. I hope this helps with your enquiry please feel free to get in touch further.

I came across his name when I was reading guns descriptions on https://ballachy.com/taurus-g3c-vs-g2c/. Paul Cashmore of West Bromwich together with Charles Pryse of Birmingham received a British patent in 1855 for self-cocking revolver mechanism. As I understand, that mechanism was adopted later for the production of Daw’s rifles. He also contributed to a few more patents for improving guns, like making barrels of a solid piece of metal and other simplifications to rifle mechanisms.

Last edited:
William, the gunmaker, (the son of William, a maltster and master brewer!) was born in 1819 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, and married Sarah Bland, daughter of Edwin Bland, gun finisher. Sarah’s brother Thomas Bland was also a gunmaker, and the two families/companies collaborated on several developments. There were also engravers in both the Cashmore and Bland families.
In the 1851 census William and Sarah were recorded living in Newton Street, with 2 daughters, Julia & Elizabeth. In the 1861 census they lived in Steelhouse Lane, and had added 4 sons, William (b.1853), Thomas James (b.1857), Albert (b.1859) and Frank (b.1860). William described himself as a gun and pistol maker. The 1871 census records William living at Holte House, Aston Village, (now under the Aston Villa football ground) with Sarah, Julia, William, Thomas, Albert and Frank. On 9 December 1887 F (Frank ?) Cashmore and T Bland patented a rotating block striker mechanism for four barrelled guns (No. 16969).
the company made some guns for Annie Oakley, one of which is I believe in the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming.

William, the gunmaker, (the son of William, a maltster and master brewer!) was born in 1819 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, and married Sarah Bland, daughter of Edwin Bland, gun finisher. Sarah’s brother Thomas Bland was also a gunmaker, and the two families/companies collaborated on several developments. There were also engravers in both the Cashmore and Bland families.
In the 1851 census William and Sarah were recorded living in Newton Street, with 2 daughters, Julia & Elizabeth. In the 1861 census they lived in Steelhouse Lane, and had added 4 sons, William (b.1853), Thomas James (b.1857), Albert (b.1859) and Frank (b.1860). William described himself as a gun and pistol maker. The 1871 census records William living at Holte House, Aston Village, (now under the Aston Villa football ground) with Sarah, Julia, William, Thomas, Albert and Frank. On 9 December 1887 F (Frank ?) Cashmore and T Bland patented a rotating block striker mechanism for four barrelled guns (No. 16969).
the company made some guns for Annie Oakley, one of which is I believe in the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming.
Hi William Cashmore of Birmingham, should not be confused with the Cashmores of West Bromwich who owned a small munitions factory. I have traced the line, so far, back to the late 1700s when one of the family was a pistol filer...... following which a family - grandfather, father, sons, sons of sons..... all went on to produce guns and sold to the American market, as well as Paul Cashmore winning a contract for guns for the Royal Irish Constabulary. Bizarrely they also lived Newton Street, but Newton Street West Bromwich - as opposed to William Cashmore who first lived in Newton Street Birmingham before moving.

You make reference to Pryse and Cashmore guns..... they are the guns of the West Bromwich Cashmores. I also believe a Tranter was involved at some point, as they married into the family and Tranter was also a pistol filer / gun maker.

Another line of West Bromwich Cashmores went I believe, into the metal / recycling trade following WWI and can be found at Great Bridge to this day. The tenuous link we have made here is from someone by the name of Gilbert whose ancestors worked for this company and we have traced Gilberts in the 1800s linked to Cashmore.

G
William Cashmore and Paul Cashmore are not the same family. William Cashmore Newton Street, Birmingham whilst Paul Cashmore was Newton Street, West Bromwich in the Black Country. Cashmore was linked with Pryce - not Price... they were Pryse and Cashmore guns which Daws a London broker sold under his name and advertisement. The West Bromwich Cashmore gun makers were a whole family of gun makers dating way back late 1700s (as far as I have got) to early 1900s...... they sold mostly to the American market I believe and Paul Cashmore won a contract to sell to the Royal Irish Constabulary in the 1860s

I came across his name when I was reading guns descriptions on https://ballachy.com/taurus-g3c-vs-g2c/. Paul Cashmore of West Bromwich together with Charles Pryse of Birmingham received a British patent in 1855 for self-cocking revolver mechanism. As I understand, that mechanism was adopted later for the production of Daw’s rifles. He also contributed to a few more patents for improving guns, like making barrels of a solid piece of metal and other simplifications to rifle mechanisms.
There was a whole family of West Bromwich Cashmores involved from at least late 1700s to early 1900s. they owned their own munitions factory in Newton Street, West Bromwich.

I wonder if the scrap dealer J Cashmore in Great Bridge was part of this dynasty.
We believe therre is a link, but so far only tenuous - the Gilberts seem to have worked for J Cashmore.... and in our search for ancestors we know that Gilberts married into the gun making line

Back