• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Carrier bag seller

C

cornwall col

I am trying to trace the old lady who sold carrier bags outside the Market Hall in Birmingham during WW2.
Its possible her name was Sarah...anyone have any clues or memories?

It seems there are lots of memories from Brummies who remember the "Handy Carrier" lady in the Bull Ring all those years ago. Some mention of her on this forum. Someone may know her name and something about her because she is certainly remembered as an important fixture in those long ago days in the Bull Ring.

Jean. I remember the 'andy carrier' lady. outside the Top Market, she seemed an old lady to me [I was a little girl at that time]. She was a fixture. Miriam.

Not sure, but looks like flower posy's or bundles of runner beans [bean wigwams in back ground. Doesn't she look neat and tide. Wonder if her name was 'Higgins' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No idea as to her name - but looks to be selling flower posies or bunndles of bean [bean wigwam in back ground] - wonder if she knew Prof. Higgins!!!:D

Got a feeling her name was Mrs Cox.......dunno why, years before my time.

Isnt there a song about her by Laurie Hornsby ?

Am I getting confused ? bin a long day.

Actually her family name was Skidmore and I met her grandson by chance in the Grange social club, Acocks Green some years ago when my song 'Andy Carriers' was picking up a lot of radio play.
I've just noticed a piece that Malc Stent wrote a lyric, 'Saturday Night In the Bull Ring' to the tune 'Messin' About On The River'. The truth is that the late John Douglas was responsible for the lyric and after gaining copyright clearance from composer Tony Hatch Malc became the recording artiste

Hi
I have been reading your posts as i am in the middle of making my family tree .
The Andy Carrier Lady was my Great Grandma . Her name was Beatrice Gibbs
Mother of Dorothy . Dorothy married William Skidmore they had 6 children
one of the sons being my father .
If anybody knew of the family i wood be love to hear of any memories you may have
thankyou stacey

Hello Stacey. Thanks for making clear the surname 'Gibbs'. So the man 'Skidmore' I met in a club in Acocks Green was either you dad or your uncle. Sorry I can't add anything else to your research but if it's any consolation I recently had a new musical play have its first airing, 'Postcards From the Seaside' and I used the surname Skidmore for the character 'Gerty' purely and simply because I wanted a personal and secret to me thread from 'Wallop Mrs Cox' to carry through. So it's no secret any more!! All the best. Laurie. 'Andy carriers!'

Hi
yes it could have been my one of my uncles .
Depending how long ago it was , as my dad died in 2004 aged 54 .
Beatrice was married twice , her first husband died 1925 and she remarried 1929 to a Leslie Deane
living in vaughton street .
And your more than welcome to use the name Skidmore as you wish
stacey xx

Regarding the carrier bag lady, as a very young lad going into the Bull Ring with Mom and Dad, being told to go and buy a bag, Dad used to say that she was blind and I musn't go trying to rip her off with foreign coins.
Is this true, or was the old b****r winding me up?

Back