• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Carriage wheel makers

Gladysarthur

Brummie babby
Hi my grandparents both worked as carriage wheel makers before they were married,would anyone know where the factory for that was in Birmingham.
Thanks

You don't say when you are talking about, but in 1912 the wheelwrights listed in Kellys in Birmingham are below
wheelwrights in birmingham 1912.jpg

While in 1939 they were as below
Wheelwrights in Birmingham 1939.jpg

Hi my grandparents both worked as carriage wheel makers before they were married,would anyone know where the factory for that was in Birmingham.
Thanks
Hi it would have been before 1912,1901 census states they are both carriage wheel makers,goodness I didn’t realise there would be so many,it would probably have been the closet to were they both lived in Kings Norton.

Here is the list for 1900/ There seem to be several it might have been in that area

Wheelwrights in Birmingham 1900.jpg

Glady's the thing is before 1911 Kings Norton was part of Worcestershire and it covered a much larger are than it did now, I don't suppose you know the name of the road they lived in do you?

Phil - if I have the right Minnie Collins - on the 1901 census she is listed as a boarder at 3 back of 319 Gooch Street - says "carriage wheel maker" and she is 17

Well Janice if indeed Gooch Street was the address where they lived then Bissell Street was only a few moments walk away, Hurst Street not much further followed by Highgate Road and Brighton Road all have wheelwrights listed according to Mike's list c1900.

If I have the right person then they married in 1905 but I haven't found John Williams on the 1901 with any degree of certainty. I agree there seems to be plenty of choice.

If I have the right person then they married in 1905 but I haven't found John Williams on the 1901 with any degree of certainty. I agree there seems to be plenty of choice.[/.
If I have the right person then they married in 1905 but I haven't found John Williams on the 1901 with any degree of certainty. I agree there seems to be plenty of choice.
thanks for your help,you have indeed got the right Minnie Collins,John Williams was living with his parents at Oldfield road,and you got the Marriage right

The four wheelwrights I indicated still work for each address, though back in the 1900's people would walk miles to work and back home again without giving it a second thought. So in reality where they worked could have been an hour or more walk away.

Back