• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CARPENTERS ARMS in Highgate

christy

master brummie
hi,everyone, roger Mcgurley, used to run the carpenters arms,pub in highgate,his parents owned the shops in vaughton st in the 60,s. & ran shops in gooch st in the 50,s.. roger Mcguley had a pub in the maypole & hollywood area in the 70,80,s. do you know him?. if so could you let me know or let him know,he would be well into his 70s, as i am trying to trace old films, he made of highgate. thank you in advance....cheers,..christy

Christy i used that pub in the 80s and was always known as ''The Bag Of Nails'':)

Mossy

Christy

I know nothing of Roger McGurley, but I know that "The Bag of Nails" did a roaring lunchtime trade in the 70's & 80's because they did good meals. It was very hard to get in there at all some lunch times.

Phil

HighgateLowerDarwinStTheCarpenterArms-1.jpg

thanks, guys. its not the pub that it was once.. i remember it as the bag of nails, too. i just give it its, posh name.. roger Mcguleys, parents owned 3,of the shop,s facing st martins flats in the 60-70s, in vaughton st.. take care...regards...christy

hi,pmc1947, you have a good collection of photo,s, where the carpenters arms is, just down the alley way there was a pub called the nags head. do you have a photo of it, if so could you please put it up on this thread or pm . thank alot....cheers, ..christy..

i celebrated my 18th with stay back at nags head think owners were ex police at time took record player down for music :)

Christy

Sorry I can do you the Nags Head at Monument Rd or at Hockley Heath, but not Charles Henry St but I will say it was another good pub though.

Phil

thanks, guys for your help,raffles50, did you take any foto,s inside or out side? & pmc1947, i have afew of my dad,when he was in a football club at the nags head early 1969-71?. the guy who run the pub was called jack,a dublin man, he run,s the irish centre now. i will sort some foto,s out ok.....cheers,...take care....christy*

sorry christy no photos, most of us played footy for st martins youth club, me, jimmy muholland, denis reynolds, bayliss brothers, billy stevens, eddy stallard ron tetsal and pete tomlison ran team undefeated for 2 seasons :)

thanks raffles50, st martins youth club, the one in gooch st, i played football when i wake up till i sleeped 24/7, we had penny club there on a friday, then boys brigade there, do you have any photo,s from your days playing at the youth club, my parents played in a match in 1969 againist a lads team in front of st martins flats, i have the fotos from that. ok take care,...regards...christy.

Just had a trip around Highgate the Carpenters arms (bag of nails) is boarded up, looks in a sorry state. As is the Peacock, also the Hide Out ( sinister name for a pub).
Sad times.

it is so sad, when you grow up in that area, all the pubs where full of people, everyone knew everyone?. i go down that way now & again its a dead town, you don,t see anyone you knew years, back....sad-times,....regards,...christy...

Robert

The Hideout is not all that old, well as pubs go anyway. It was built to replace the Emily Arms and was called just that for the former part of its life. I have no idea why they would change it to the Hideout unless its because it looked nothing like a pub from the outside.

I would have thought that the Peacock was a listed building. Its certainly been there some years. Now its boarded up the next thing you will hear is that its burnt down.

Phil

HighgateHideoutformerEmilyArms.jpg

Robert,

Sorry to hear that about The Carpenter's Arms. We went in there a couple of years back, and often choose to come that way back from town, just to see how they are doing.

Ann

hi,phil the hideaway, is that the pint pot,..the carpenters arms, i went in there last year to have a look around for memories, it was not like it used to be? a far cry from when it was....times change...regards....christy.

Christy

I think the Pint Pot was converted to a hotel and it was further up Emily Street.

Phil

cheers phil, i did not know they renamed the emily arms, to the hideaway. we lived facing the peacock pub manys ago, the land-lady then was a women called betty, her chap called ron or bill, a nice littie pub years ago, i did here it closed because some one turned it into a cannabis factory? true or false?...good old days....take care.....christy..

I worked at the carpenters in 98/99 and it was still really busy at lunchtimes for food, it had a small room with a bar upstairs where the kitchen was, all the food for downstairs came down a dumb waiter, the nights in the week were dire though no-one around only 2 or 3 people in, really died when east end foods moved out(to west brom i think), was still a great old school pub then with lovely features.

It's a very small world. I was visiting my parents over from the USA. Got talking to elderly neighbor of theirs. She and her husband (Doreen and John) used to run the carpenters arms in the 80s. More coincidentally my best friends husband turns out to be one of the old regulars that they knew and remembered well

Does anyone know the names of some Irish heritage brothers that used to frequent The Pint Pot (Carpenters Arms). There was quite a few of them and I believe some of them worked on track maintenance for the Railways. I'm a screenwriter and it's a background detail for a Highgate based story I'm writing.

Any help appreciated.

Brendan

Back