• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Carpenters' Arms - Adelaide Street

tardebigge

BCT Fan
Anyone remember how wonderful this pub was in the late 1960's, when it was run by Bill & Brenda Penn?
Fantastic beer, wonderful food (for that time) and a "genteel" atmosphere.
Visited it last time in UK and so sad it has gone downhill.

Anyone remember how wonderful this pub was in the late 1960's, when it was run by Bill & Brenda Penn?
Fantastic beer, wonderful food (for that time) and a "genteel" atmosphere.
Visited it last time in UK and so sad it has gone downhill.

I remember the "Bag on Nails" in the sixties and seventies. I used it many a lunch time if I could get in the door through the crowds of office and factory workers who were having their lunch break there.

Phil

Highgate Lower Darwin St The Carpenter Arms.jpg

Last edited:
Tardebigge, Perhaps it's come back up, since your last visit. I looked at it last year and it seemed fine to me. Unless i've got it mixed up with another.

Ann

I was in there a few months back and although a bit quiet it certainly wasn't run down.

Attachments

• Highgate Lower Darwin Street - Adelaide St Carpenters Arms.jpg
    Highgate Lower Darwin Street - Adelaide St Carpenters Arms.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 9
I wonder how many times we must have bumped elbows then Phil. The Bag of Nails was where I always partook. Never liked the back room.
Thanks Ann, I will look forward to revisiting, although I'm sure there won't be any Brew XI. Sigh:rolleyes:

The Pub is now called Moon Lounge and all the brick work has been painted white, in a fashion. Such a shame.

I am hoping that someone can help me.

I have been told my grandfather was a landlord of the Carpenters Arms about 1908. His name was Joseph Patrick Groome and probably known as Joe.

Any response appreciated.

John
New Zealand

Hi John

According to the 1913 Kelly's Trade Directory, at that date the landlord was Joseph. P. Groome.

Phil

Phil & Mike

Thanks a lot for that info. Has put some "ghosts" to rest!

John
NZ

Hate to sound repetitive, but I believe MY grandfather was also landlord of The Carpenters, during WW2 - Thomas Henry Fowler. I think he managed it along with his mother, Annie Fowler. Can anyone confirm?

He was not there 1933 or 1945, but:
1936-1940 Carpenters' Arms, Thos. Hy. Fowler, 1 Adelaide st. Darwin st 12
Mike

That's the one. Doesn't look to have too bright a future, judging from Google street view...

This may belong on another thread, but other Brum pubs my family were associated with:
The Roebuck - my Dad was born there in 1930, so Thomas Henry might be listed as landlord
The Australian Bar - Dad'd grandparents ran this when he was a kid in the 1930s - Thomas & Annie Fowler
The Royal George (Aston) - T.H.Fowler was landlord in the 1940s

Can you confirm any of this? Cheers!

Hope the following is useful from Kellys:
1932-1944 Fowler Thos, Hy. Australian Palace P.H. 48 Bromsgrove st
1932-1933 Fowler Thos. Hy. beer retlr. 177 Darwin st
1943-1950 Royal George inn, Thos. Hy. Fowler, 28 Park rd. Aston (Not there 1955)
Darwin St was the Roebuck, though it was not listed as such in directories of that time

The electoral roll shows that:
Thomas Henry and Francis Emily Fowler were at the carpenters arms
Thomas and Annie were at the Australian Palace as early as 1930, but not there in 1925.
Thomas Henry and Francis Emily Fowler & Edith Foster were at the Roebuck in 1930, but not 1925. Just Albert William Fowler was there in 1935 &1939 but in 1945 there was Dorothy E & Albert W Fowler.

There was also ;
1939-1940 Fowler Thos. Hy. & Co. secondhand furniture dlrs.133 Gooch. st & 31 Camp hill
1939 Fowler Thos. Hy. furniture dlr. 27 High st. Saltley 8
Was this the same person?
Mike

Thanks Mike - that's great information!

Your info reminded me that my Dad had told me that, after they left The Roebuck, the new tenants were also Fowlers (but unrelated). Apparently, Albert Fowler broke the unwritten rule of landlords at the time by marrying his barmaid...
My grandfather was called up to the Army in 1940, but invalided out in 1943 due to rheumatism - he was 38 by then, and only lived to 49 (died in 1954). This photo shows him (centre) outside The Royal George in 1945.

Attachments

• THF1945 (1).jpg
    THF1945 (1).jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
What a cracking photo Mike thanks for sharing it with us

Mossy

I remember that pub i lived a few minutes from there when i was little,i also remember there was a bookies next door,were they legal then,1955/59,when my brother got his first car,a popeye he had never driven before,he took the car up to a car park by the pub drove round it for the evening that was his driving lessons,and it was a few years before he took a test,

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have the attached, which I made up several years back (2003?) from pictures I trawled off the www.midlandspubs.co.uk site. Although they are marked Copyright, the smaller photos were actually thumbnails for full size photos you could buy, so I don't think the owner will mind. That site was becoming hugely comprehensive a few years back, but seems now to have removed quite a lot of Birmingham information, and I have no idea why. It's still a pretty good site, though. Presumably some of you true Brummies know what happened there?

Here's an example of a "lost" page that you can access through the Internet Archive (takes a while to load...).

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks like The Carpenters Arms is no more. I walked past today and it looked like it had suffered a serious fire - looking at digbeth.org it looks like it was deliberately burned down on the 26th!

Attachments

• moon-lounge-after-fire[1].jpg
    moon-lounge-after-fire[1].jpg
    87 KB · Views: 10
So much for the Moon Lounge (it had only opened recently). Sorry to see it go on fire. Lucky I got shots of it when I went past it (see above). Can't believe that had happened.

sorry did you say you have a photo of the royal george ? we lived in lombard st 100 yards from the cardpenters in the 1950s i have lots of memos of the late night and partys there ,my family were the scullys and cooks , ,but i do remember my dads mates joe cummings he had 8 children and the dillions hard times but fun we lived at 108 it used to be a coachouse inn

Carpenter Arms now Moon Vapez, seen from Adelaide Street.

April 2018 view before they changed the Mist sign.

Was so much litter flying about yesterday on Lower Darwin Street. The area needs cleaning up! Was also quite windy though.

Back