• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Caroline Street / St Pauls Square

MichelleGreen(gin)

Brummie babby
Hello, we have recently purchased 87 Caroline Street just by St Pauls Square and we would love to display some old photographs of the building itself if there are any out there.

We understand that at one point it was owned by the same fella that owned the rope works at 15 St Pauls Square (G E Mewis). However as consulting engineers we are rather geeky when it comes to these types of things and would love some documents or drawings or photographs to display in our reception area.

Any help with pictures or historical knowledge would be very much appreciated!

The building is certainly shown as part of Mears ropes on the c1955 OS map below. The c1889 map shows it as a separate building.

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing 87 Caroline st.jpg
    map c 1889 showing 87 Caroline st.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 32
  • map c 1955 caroline st showing mears ropes.jpg
    map c 1955 caroline st showing mears ropes.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 32
Actually on the 1889 map it is the building to the south-east as it was incorporated into 35 St Pauls Square. We have just reinstated it back as 87 Caroline Street. The section where the road turns (the driveway) was to access the coach house door. I have attached a picture of it as it stands today if that helps

Attachments

• 87 Caroline Street (2016).jpg
    87 Caroline Street (2016).jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 28
My Grandmother and her family were listed on the 1911 census as living at 2 Bk 35 Caroline St St Pauls Birmingham.
I have looked on Google Street View and I am almost certain these houses have been demolished now. I wondered if anyone has any photos of the house prior to this? My great grandfather was a sawpiercer according to the census along with his wife.

Came across this re pub on Caroline St, does anybody have any old photos etc. Plus confirm if the pub was in the Jewellery Quarter.

Hope & Anchor, 79 Caroline Street, Birmingham​

Birmingham pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Birmingham, Warwickshire.

Residents at this address.

1835/Thomas F Jones, Hope & Anchor, Caroline street/../../Pigots Directory

1861/Peter Blacklock/../../../Birmingham Directory

1867/Peter Blacklock/../../../Kellys Directory

1875/Robert Blacklock/../../../Whites Directory

1881/Maria Blacklock/Licensed Victualler, Widow/37/Nordeley ?, Stafford/Census
1881/Ellen Blacklock/Daughter/12/Birmingham, Warwick,/Census

1881/Mary Blacklock/Daughter/11/Birmingham, Warwick,/Census
1881/Robert Blacklock/Son/8/Birmingham, Warwick,/Census
1881/William Skellens/Boarder/48/Ward End, Stafford/Census
1881/Elizabeth Treadfold/Servant/16/Cradley, Stafford/Census
1881/Sarah A Walker/Servant/14/Birmingham, Warwick,/Census
1881/Jane Reynolds/Servant/24/Kingswinford, Stafford/Census

1883/Mrs Maria Blacklock/../../../Kellys Directory

1892/Mrs Eliza Leigh/../../../Kellys Directory

1900/James Dale Rogers/../../../Kellys Directory

1908/Mrs Charlotte P Cooke/../../../Kellys Directory

1915/Mrs Gertrude May Cooper/../../../Kellys Directory

1940/Chas Banks/../../../Kellys Directory

The pub was in the jewellery quarter, on the corner of Northwood St. I have no photo. Up till July 1942 there are a number of classified adds for staff in the local papers, and the 1943 Kellys directory does not include it, so it is possible that it suffered bomb damage and did not reopen. The present building, at a guess, is 1950s.

hi OM would you have a decent overhead looking down frederick st from warstone lane clock please...its the properties on the right looking down i am interested in...

many thanks

lyn

I think that is the building there now, though looking a little different in detail. I dont think it is the original

hi OM would you have a decent overhead looking down frederick st from warstone lane clock please...its the properties on the right looking down i am interested in...

many thanks

lyn
Lyn,
This is the only reasonably clear one I can see showing Warstone Lane running from the bottom right to the clock at Frederick Street and onwards. It is dated 1937.
Phil
WarstoneLane1937.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks om its not showing the frontages of the buildings i am after in frederick st but still a great overhead... i shall pour over it tomorrow...cheers ps what a great view of the church now demolished in warstone lane cem..

lyn

Thanks from me too oldMohawk, this shows Warstone Lane Cemetery before the chapel was demolished and all the gravestones were flattened.
rosie.

Aerial view of Caroline St - Northwood St junction dated 1948. The front of No 79 not visible.
View attachment 160631
image source 'britainfromabove'
The block on the corner of Northwood Street and Caroline Street was bought in 1988. demolished and a courtyard of new office buildings built .No 10 was retained.,refurbished and later a hange of use to residential There usedt o be a great little takeaway in No 10 The architects Reids have been in occupancy of 1 of the office buildings since 1991

My great Grandfather attended J.T. Godfrey's Commercial Academy in Caroline Street in 1846 (I have one of his exercise books). I have not been able to find out whereabouts it was on the street. I know where Caroline Street is but the address of the Academy is proving elusive as the book only contains the data above. Does anyone have access to information in that year?
Thanks

On the 1841 census there are 2 addresses on Caroline St next to each other, one headed by a writing master and the other by 2 school mistresses. No numbers listed but they are listed (with a couple of other abodes) between Regent Parade and Regent Place.

I wouldn't be totally confident that the listing reflects the actual street or it's the correct school but that's all I can see.

On the 1841 census there are 2 addresses on Caroline St next to each other, one headed by a writing master and the other by 2 school mistresses. No numbers listed but they are listed (with a couple of other abodes) between Regent Parade and Regent Place.

I wouldn't be totally confident that the listing reflects the actual street or it's the correct school but that's all I can see.
Thank you. I'll see what I can determine with that information. Intriguing.

I am confused about the Pub being at 79 Caroline street, because I worked at 79 Caroline street on the Corner of Northwood Street, now a new building with blue panels under the windows.
I worked there in the offices, from 1958 to 1963 for the firm David Hollander and sons, EPNS manufacturers, the factory was the Plato Works, operated there between 1929-1980.

Here is the listing in the PO directory of 1845. I appears that there were three ladies schools in the street at nos. 8, 17 and 66

PO directory 1845 caroline st.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
When looking at the 1939 census Charles Banks is pub manager at 78-79 Caroline Street but the numbers are odd on one side and even the other.Strange!

I am confused about the Pub being at 79 Caroline street, because I worked at 79 Caroline street on the Corner of Northwood Street, now a new building with blue panels under the windows.
I worked there in the offices, from 1958 to 1963 for the firm David Hollander and sons, EPNS manufacturers, the factory was the Plato Works, operated there between 1929-1980.
yes that is odd alberta as post 8 says no 79 was the hope and anchor pub maybe someone could sort this mystery out

lyn

Junction of Caroline Street and Northwood Street. Viv.

AE6E4AC7-807C-4A1C-944D-A710A8FAC9D2.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

53905A0E-953B-4F92-966C-CB744A4CE65D.jpeg

Last edited:
When looking at the 1939 census Charles Banks is pub manager at 78-79 Caroline Street but the numbers are odd on one side and even the other.Strange!
Alberta
The Kellys directories and the c1950s map (below) does not seem to show odd ones one side, even the other. the numbering seems to have been at least approximately the same since 1841

ScreenHunter 5628.jpg

looking at your map mike the plato works where alberta worked is at no 79....do you know what no the hope and anchor pub was

lyn

With reference to the PO Directory, Charles Ireland is the same writing master on the 1841 census.

Back