• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Carl Chinn Archive - Birmingham Lives No longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. just thought i would let you all know that the carl chinn site is being updated quite fast now. keith is working very hard on it (no not our keefy) its a brillient site so some of you may want to take a peep at it now. bear in mind the update is by no means finished. google carl chinn archives.hope you enjoy it.

wales.:)

Thanks for the site reminder Lyn. Keith does a brilliant job!

hes a good man wendy.. its starting to look good now.

see you soon

lyn:)

Thanks for posting this site. It's just amazing how much Dr. Carl Chinn has achieved over the last 20 years. There was a huge amount of catching up to do regarding the contemporary history of Birmingham in particular and we have much to thank Carl for in this respect. He took the opportunity to be the main historian for the city of Birmingham. His contribution is really astounding and will continue to be.

I say this because I myself wanted to expand my knowledge of the city and it's history from many aspects. In my endeavour to do this, starting in the mid l970's, I found that there was very little available on the history of the city of Birmingham overall except for the older books that had been written many years ago. I asked for information when I wrote to the City of Birmingham at the Council House and the main Birmingham Library. This would be in the early l980's. There was very little official information available to send to someone like myself. The photographs that were included came from the working Engineering files. There was no other source available. A few years on the city was casting off a lot of it's industrial mantle and moving in different directions and I received a beautifully illustrated book edition of the building of the Convention Centre which I was very happy to receive.

All that has changed now, of course. The City is well marketed and there is so much information in the form of books available. I have watched the Birmingham section of Waterstones Book Shop on New Street expand incredibly over the years. The choice of books is...well..huge. Also, the citizens of Birmingham are heavily involved in digging out their amazing collections re the history of the city from so many aspects and that this valuable information will be recorded online is just the best news. When we had our Centennial Reunion celebration of Fentham Girls School at Sutton Coldfield in April 2004 with 375 attendees, all ex-pupils, we (the Centennial Committee) put together some photo collages and school history going back almost 100 years. We also made an images CD which we sold a lot of copies of. The whole collection will be donated to Carl Chinn's project before too long as part of the Educational history of Birmingham.

Thanks to all who are working hard on the project.

viv over the past few years i have done a heads up on carls birmingham lives site many times...there are some great photos on there...thanks for bringing it to the top again...enjoy

lyn

Hi Lyn. Do you know how it works? I wondered if it's regularly added to. Lots of useful links on there to other sites too. All in one place. Viv.

viv use the drop down boxes...if you just want to look at photos click on photos in the format box....if you want to find any photos of say bridge street west type in bsw in the area box if there are any they will come up...you will soon get used to it...funnily enough carls archivist who is in charge of updating this site is coming to see me next week to bring me some new photos i have ordered for my old end folder that are not yet on the site so i will ask him how the updating is going on...i know he is very busy and his time spent on it is limited so it has been a slow process...

lyn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back