• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Care Homes

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

I am fairly sure that prior to WW2 there were no such things as care homes. Old people either fended for themselves or were looked after by their children..

Now every city and town has care homes usually privately owned and run for profit. What does this indicate? Were children of yesteryear more mindful of the needs of their aged parents and were prepared in the main to help them and find room in their homes for parents unable to look after themselves.

Or, is it the children of today who are mindful of the fact that their parents need care and are prepared to find care homes for them and, in some instances, help pay for the care?

Old Boy

It a very good question, however I don’t know anything about care homes prior to WW2, I know that there was a care home on Short Heath Road Erdington since the 50’s.

Lots elderly people did tend to live with relatives, I had friends who had their grans living with them. There were also hospital geriatric wards too, alas sadly gone now.

I think there are a number of other reasons too; a lot of women did not work and therefore were able to help parents out at home, my mom would pop in to see her mom on a regular basis.

We have to also remember that more people are living to a greater age, people are less likely to die from heart attacks or cancer etc and now die of strokes and dementia.

I have heard some people say that there was a stigma attached to sending your parents off the a care home, so would find ways of caring for them at home.

During the 30s/40s many 'residential' homes were set up by Church organisations , the Methodist church had some as did the Church Army.
I think that as well as there being a stigma about an elderly relative being 'put in home' most families had a great deal of respect and has Morturn says 'time' for their elderly relatives unlike this age where everyone is so busy having to make money they don't seem to have the time.

I think nowadays that, despite what some may say, the authorities are far more concerned with the elderly than then, though they struggle with the costs. Certainly those brought up before the war had an aversion to going into any form of care, associating it with the workhouse, which , under a different name, still existed for the elderly infirm. Relatives therefore did their best to care for their elderly if they possibly could, whereas nowadays there is the choice, even if it is not as good as might be wished. I know from personal experience with my mother, who had an aversion to anywhere that was not her home and lived with me for many years, that, when she had to go into hospital, the authorities were apparently amazed that they did not know someone of that age (99) was in the area, and rushed to provide any assistance they could, with her deteriorated condition, though sadly it would not be needed. This would not have been available in the 1930s and so people had to make do, which often was by relatives and neighbours helping out. Undoubtedly the conquering of many diseases has lengthened lifespans and increased the numbers that need care, but I suspect that then many of the most helpless of the elderly could not have been supported by relatives etc and would either have had to go into hospital, or possibly not have lived as the facilities to support them just was not available

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I guess the number of people living to advanced ages increases the need for care homes. Just looking at the obituary columns shows the number of people living into their 90's and older. One chain of card shops stocks a range of birthday cards for Folks aged 100.

Like the other posters above I guess the stigma factor is important too. In the 1960's this would certainly have been the case.

I am 86 and, fortunately, in very good health both physically and mentally (my dog Toby and I walk at least 6/7 miles a day) I am capable of cooking and tending my house and garden, still drive to my sisters (both in their 80's) in Glascote and my daughter in Selly Park. I would prefer when I do find it difficult to cope to have help with housework/cooking and maybe gardening( I only have a small garden), which I would be happy to pay, rather than go in a care home and lose my independence which I value dearly. Eric

My Daughter works for our local council auditing service providers which includes care and nursing homes where the council provide the funding. You wouldn't believe some of the atrocious standards of care she has come across which sometimes results in the homes being closed down. Shame we don't have the same family commitment as the Spanish have where the family stays together and supports even the elderly.

I agree that care in the family would be great but sometimes, health-wise, it is not possible. After my Mom (at 94) had a severe stroke it broke my Dad's heart to see her go into a care home but there was no way he (even with my help) would have been able to give her all the care she needed at home. We were offered very little support to keep her at home (2 hours a day) - and their flat did not lend itself to having a carer for more hours, or live in, even if we could have afforded it.
Janice

Just read that average life expectancy in 1960 was 71. Now that people live much longer this will increase the tendency towards the situation Janice describes above.

Brian, people do live longer now, but they also remain much fitter for longer which should balance things out. I am 86, easily look after my house and garden, no problems with cooking, walk my dog 5 times a day, still drive, this probably would not be the case 50 years ago and I may have needed help (I get offers now which I politely turn down !), my 2 sisters and their husbands all in their 8o's also have no problems, so I don't think it's that uncommon. I have a neighbour and dear friend Muriel who will be 95 this month, she not only looks after her 1 bedroomed flat but works in a charity shop 2days a week involving a mile walk. Eric

Last edited:
Are people living longer now, or is it that more people are achieving older age?

Back