• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

caravans

A

angeleyes

hi does anyone remember the old blue bird caravans from the 1950s onwards. any pictures any where the old gas mantles i miss those times thank you all gt people you are mary x

The photo of the caravan brings back lots of memories for me. We had several caravan holidays and enjoyed them all as I remember. The first caravan we styed in belonged to a Mr. Armfield who worked with my Mother at Sun Cycles & Fittings in Aston Brook. Must have been in the early l950's.. Mom complained that she didn't much like the Guest House type holiday with three children in tow that we had been having. It meant being in the dining room three times a day if you took full board. Just got settled on the beach with the kids. Dad going off in search of a Cockle and Whelk stall and then coming back with a tray of tea. Then it was rush back for lunch at the Guest House kids had to be presentably dressed ..no sandy feet,etc.
In the early days following WW2 we had to take our Ration Books with us.

The afternoon could be spent on a side trip, no car for the first few holidays. So on the bus to where ever. Then back to the GH to change for an evening meal..same drill. Loads of clothes needed to look presentable. Mom hated this regime. Heavy suitcases filled with all this clobber! Mr. Armfield suggested that Mom and Dad rent his caravan at Cromer and avoid all this "dressing up" and having to be on best behaviour.

We rented Mr. Armfield's caravan on a small site and we loved it so much many caravan holidays followed this one. I remember the gas mantles very well and also the strong smell of the calor gas canisters. We all pitched in with chores so that Mom could have a holiday too. We never thought about holidaying any other way until we grew up. Those first caravans
were perfect for us.

Back