• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Car tax office in city centre

Hadn't realised driving licences were once renewable every year, then in the 50s renewable every 3 years. Viv.
Screenshot_20230805_124213_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

How long are the licenses renewed for now and are they done on line as well as in the post?
Though the photocard needs to be renewed every 10 years, in general driving licences are valid until you're 70, after which it needs renewing every three years. If you only need to update your address or name, or you're over 70 and you're just renewing it, this is free.
only prob when you reach 70 the c class entitlement finishes untill you send a medical cert in

Once a motorist reaches the age of 70, holding a C1 license required to drive a motorhome and heavier vehicles is not a guarantee, as they must undergo a medical examination to continue driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. At D4Drivers, we offer a cost-effective solution that simplifies this process and gets it done within 20 minutes

and you can do it on line

Last edited:
Though the photocard needs to be renewed every 10 years, in general driving licences are valid until you're 70, after which it needs renewing every three years. If you only need to update your address or name, or you're over 70 and you're just renewing it, this is free.
only prob when you reach 70 the c class entitlement finishes untill you send a medical cert in

Once a motorist reaches the age of 70, holding a C1 license required to drive a motorhome and heavier vehicles is not a guarantee, as they must undergo a medical examination to continue driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. At D4Drivers, we offer a cost-effective solution that simplifies this process and gets it done within 20 minutes

and you can do it on line
Thank you!

Hi does anyone know what road the car tax office was in the city centre we have been having a discussion on this at home someone said ooze street . Can anyone help or put me in the right direction please
It was in, I think, Sheepcote Street off Broad Street.

see also

I used to attend Matthew Boulton Tec College in rooms above a Honda car showroom on the corner of Oozells Street and used to wait in line to tax my Ford Pop 100E in the late 70s.

I worked as a driver for a Moskvitch and Lada dealer in Sparkhill in the 1970s and was sent to tax many of the new cars it was usually a full morning or afternoon job thankfully i got a promotion to the parts dept so that task fell to someone else. Oozell Street tax office is a place i wont forget

it was well known if you went to tax your car there you needed to take a flask and sarnies becouse it was half a days wait,while the car garages etc bulk taxed there vehicles:(
Sounds like New Jersey. After you paid what they called plate fee you could then wait in line to get your car inspected! thankfully in TN everything is online (16 years ago) and you could register 60 days ahead so no time worries!

Back