• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Car Marques, Figureheads And Badges

Daimler Benz (Mercedes) still has a factory (or factories) in Germany - I worked at one in Wörth am Rhein for a short time in 1999/2000 commissioning a machine for fitting tyres to rims for Mercedes Lorries (and I think the lorries were assembled there although we didn't get to see the rest of the factory!).

The British Daimler company was started to import cars from the German company, but soon branched out on its own manufacturing side. Mercedes was a model of German Daimler, named after Mercedes Jellinek, daughter of a director. The full story is here.

Lloyd, once again thank you for all your input and information .

vrte.jpegswq.jpeg
I remember the name Allday & Onions but this car is news to me.

Hi Stitcher The illuminated badge was introduced a lot earlier than 1960. My grand-dad's 1939 Wolseley 12 had one. J
When the Metropolitan Police used Wolsely cars as patrol vehicles, the bulb was removed from the Wolsely illuminated badge so that at night it couldn't be easily recognized as a police car when following other vehicles. Almost all of the police cars were Black in the 1940's, 1950's and early 1960's
Reg.

I remember when all the Police cars were black, and I remember them using Wolseley cars but I did not realise the rad-badge bulb was removed. Maybe thats because I was not allowed out in the dark when I was a nipper.
Thats an interesting point roverman, thanks.

zz.jpeg
The Vulcan Motor and Engineering Company Ltd.
This company produced cars during the period 1903-1928 and sometime during this period they amalgamated with Lea Francis.After this , passenger car production ceased but commercial vehicle production continued. The badge and figurehead was Vulcan- the god of industry, in 1945 the company was swallowed up by Rootes.
Image.jpg.jpeg
This was the Vulcan figurehead from 1911.

Last edited by a moderator:
gg.jpegI came across this item this morning and
whilst it is not about marques or badges, it does fit in with this post. I did not know whether to post it here or on the Broad Street thread so I may re-post on the Broad Street one as well.
View attachment 74906The badge on the left of these two was fitted during the 1930s, whilst the one on the right is the illuminated one with which I am more familiar.The company started as 'The Wolsely And Motor Company Limited'. Adderly Park, Birmingham, this as we all know became 'British Leyland U K Limited', Cowley, Oxford.
Herbert Austin came from Australia where he worked for 'Wolesley Sheep Shearing Company' and he started working at 'Wolesley Machine Tool Company' in 1893. Car production at the factory began in 1900, The company was taken over by Vickers in 1912 and over the years several mergers took place with Riley, Morris and M.G. after which it was re-named the 'Nuffield Group'.
View attachment 74907
Waverley and Weigel were two separate companies both in London, Waverley 1910-1931. Weigel even shorter, 1907-1910.
View attachment 74908

Whitlock Aster was a short lived one 1904-1906 but the original Whitlock made in Cricklewood London was active 1906- 1933.

Back