• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canterbury Road Police Station

Steve R

master brummie
Hello all.
At very short notice the volunteers have been given the go ahead to have an open day at Canterbury Road Police station. The building has been around since 1904 and has now been emptied as it is due to be sold as part of the estates reduction. The event will be on Friday 24th November (next week) This is the one and only event as it is due to be sold off shortly. Once again we have joined with out friends from Hidden spaces, it is a small building so not as many tickets available as when we open the Steelhouse Lane Lock up for visitors so we will stay open a little longer until 18.00
Visit our new site called WMPeelers.com for additional information or visit:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk
Steve R

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Good to hear about the event. Hope one of our members gets along to take lots of photos for BHF. Good luck to all volunteers and those involved in making this happen. Viv.

Perry-Barr-police-station-5.jpg
I have posted this here because it is from the days when the area would have been rather rural.

Sorry l missed the date of the closure that was my first nick to be stationed at.We left on
the amalgamation to form West midlands Police and we went to Sutton Coldfield Police Station

Joe 90
that is a pity, it was sold at auction last week, so there won't be another. I used to do the front office duties there of a night time back in the early 90's. It had a great wooden front counter back in those days, long since gone. That is another great old police building that has now gone. Wander what it will be now?

If you have any police picture you can share we would like to build a collection up at the museum especially of the Lock Up building

Steve R

Purely out of interest, my 1954 edition of Bartholomew's Street Guide to Birmingham was once the property of S/L R.249 Wood, 'D' Division, Canterbury Road Police Station, according to the hand-written note on the fly-leaf. Is it a name anyone recalls?

G

This c1907 image of the police station was posted by Oldmohawk on the "Birchfield Road Perry Barr" thread. Labelled "Perry Barr Police Station" it was Canterbury Road Police Station, not to be confused with Perry Village Police Station which was, if memory serves me right, in Church Road, by Perry Park. Viv.

image.jpeg

I think the photo must be Perry Barr Station, I went to Canterbury Road School and the Police Station was nothing like that. It was a much smaller building, wasn't it!!

thanks viv....we are very lucky canterbury road police station is still there....its a nice building

lyn

I was a sergeant working from Aston in the 80"s and we had two section houses we kept open, Nechells Green and Canterbury rd. The "canters" building as it was lovingly termed was supposed to be haunted, by whom I know not, and never had any supernatural experience there. Those of you interested may have discerned the Staffordshire knot which appears in the coat of arms over the building, harking back to the days prior to formation of west midlands Police as we know it...regards Andy Cap

welcome to the forum andycap and thanks for your post...there is plenty of birmingham police history on this forum so enjoy

all the best

lyn

I served at this station, about 1998ish..It became the WMP Driving School for a brief time..It was in the process of being rewired, and remember having to work in an office covered in brick dust!!..It was a great old Victorian nick..Unfortunately, I don't have any photos.

I served at Canterbury Rd from 1974 to 1976 when we were all moved to Sutton Coldfield when we were West Midlands Police and not Birmingham City Police.I preferred to work out of Canterbury Road to be honest.Joe 90

Back