• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
The war was three years old when I started school, so I'm not sure what normal would have been. we had to know where to assemble should there be an air raid, and at one point we carried our red 'mickey mouse' gas masks with us. No matter, I loved it from the word go; I came down with measles on the day I should have started, so it was all the sweeter when I finally took that walk along The Broadway in Witton, arriving at Canterbury Road with my mom and a fair number of other moms too. There was a procession of us daily walking the route. You knew you had clinched it when you were allowed to go on your own. :D

Mrs M was waiting to welcome me, I was the only new girl that day. She asked a girl called Pauline to look after me, but I wasn't listening as usual, and thought I had to look after her. Bit of a mixed up day really, ending with me taking a coat from the cloakroom that was identical to mine, but three sizes smaller. I walked into the house with the sleeves up to my elbows and my frock traliling six inches below. Mom had forty fits, as was her wont. I hadn't noticed.

It was all very non U in those days, if anyone was naughty, heaven forbid, they were stood in a waste paper basket in the corner of the room. One red haired little chap spent his days there. I soon learned to read, I think I had been born knowing my alphabet, I loved books so much; and we said our tables by rote, a different one each day until they were seared into our minds.

The next teacher I remeber was Miss J - Junior, there was apparently another Miss J in the senior school. It was she who first introduced me to Worzel Gummage. We each took it in turns to read a passage, and I picked up the West Country accent, the performer in me is inate. I got to read often after that. Miss J was the teacher every kid should have, she instilled in me a love of History, she described the Battle of Hastings so vividly that we were there, we saw the arrow fly, and poor Harold fall.

Mr B was next, he was probably a youngish chap but I was a bit in awe of him at first, he was a MAN. Time passed uneventfully though in the year I spent with him. we seemed to spend a lot of time 'reading quietly'.

It all went pear shaped after that, Miss C was sharp nosed and sharp tempered, she took one look at me and I cringed. She scared me and I couldn't do anythng right. There was a shortage of paper and so we had to make our own exercise books from any that the education department could get hold of. We cut and cobbled the bits together with big tacking stitches, or paste made from flour and water, until the day came when we got our first proper writing books, they had red covers and were ruled with blue lines.
'Open them carefully, write your name, leave a line and then write numbers one to ten' was the order from Madame C. Pencils were licked, heads bent, deep breaths taken, best handwring - lovely. But I had forgotten to leave a line before writing out the numbers, so she took a ruler and brought it down edgewise on to my hand. I didn't write for a while, my hand welled up like a baloon, and my mother threatened to lynch her.

I would gladly have called it quits then, but the next class loomed and with it Miss P. She had an aim that had to be admired I have to say. When she threw the blackboard rubber at you, if you didn't duck quickly it hit you, as did chalk, keys, anything that came to hand she hurled. But she knew her stuff, no one left her class wanting. If we were capable of learning she was more than capable of teaching us.

In between all this education the nit nurse and the dental nurse came and went with awful regularity. The school was in disarray when we all had to have a medical, there were white coats everywhere, and screens put up in the hall in front of classrooms where the examinations were to take place.

Mr C was our kindly headmaster. There is a photo' of him on the Friends reunited site, and I was five years old agan when I saw it.

In 2006 the school is holding its Centenary celebrations. I guess I'll be there looking for the past.

:D Di what a lovely story really sounds like you loved school from day one.

I can’t remember much about my first day at school, as I always seemed to be there quiet early on.
Having an older brother and sister already attending the school, my Mom always seemed to be at the school for one reason or another.
Mom was one of those moms’ who like to tell the teachers how to do their job, we were her kids after all!
I knew my way around very well and I do remember being in charge of showing a group the new kids around.
We infants all started on the same day that year and the teacher said she knew I was bossy and a mother hen and would not lose any of her chicks.
I also remember two of the children in the group crying a lot for their mom’s, a boy named Steven and a girl named Carol, they became two of my best friends at that school.
I still have a photo of the whole class taken by my first teacher, because she was leaving to get married.
Carol and I even ended up working together for a few years after leaving school, before losing touch.
It was only a small school and we had about 12-15 in each of the four classes and the age range of the school was 4.1/2yrs - 16yrs.
We kids would spend an average of 2.1/2 – 3yrs in each class and went up to the next class on ability rather than age.
I did however leave that school when I was about to go into the third class, when we moved house when I was 10yrs old. :)

I can't always remember what I did last week Pom, but my first day at school and some of those early years I'll never forget. :D

Schooltime memories

Miss J was the teacher every kid should have, she instilled in me a love of History, she described the Battle of Hastings so vividly that we were there, we saw the arrow fly, and poor Harold fall.
MIss J also passed this'skill' onto you - vivid descriptive recall - A lovely story :)

School daze.

Like you Diana, I had a succession of great Teachers...they taught me not just by repetition but with their love of imparting knowledge..
Like you I fought at Hastings and Agincourt, I lived with Cavemen and marched with Roman Legions as they stormed across the British Isles.
I ran with Mole and Toad of Toad Hall throughout the pages of Wind in the Willows.
I cried for Peter Pan when the children left him alone in Never Never land..
Those Teachers put into me a love of History, of Adventure, of life.
No matter how long I live I could never repay Miss Painter, Mr Bullus, Mr Fleming, Mr Pullen and the names of many others lost, through no fault of their own to the passage of time..
How CAN I ever repay them?
Every time I open a book I owe them one more page of 'Thank you's for giving me one of the greatest gifts of all.....the desire to learn.

Canterbury Rd school just off Perry Barr in Handwroth - as i remember it was a Senior girls school when World war 11 started - there was a time bomb in the playgraound and many children were were evacuated including me who had just started - so obviously it changed Beryl M

There were senior jumior and infants schools Beryl, I started in the infants in '42.  It was apparently an infants school when it was founded in 1907.  The 100th anniversary is being celebrated. I am really looking forward to it.
Alfie  :smitten:

When I started Canterbury Rd 1941 It was Birchfield Rd for boys and Canterbury Rd for girls really don't remember Canterbury Rd school being an infants school. was there more than one school on the street??????? Beryl M

No Beryl, but there were two gates, the first one you reached from Stoneleigh Road end was the senior school, further along towards the Police Station was the gate to the infant/junior school.

Thanks Di - problem solved - I didn't need to walk to the second gate - Beryk M

:)Hi Di when is the reunion or anniversary being celebrated ? I went to Canterbury Cross in the early 70s, Mr Hunt started his teaching career there & hes still there ! He taught me & made me stand outside the door a few times too (i can't think why !).

Hi Laraine, the date isn't decided yet. It was to have been this year, but although the date over the door says 1906, records showed that in fact the school didn't open until 1907. When I know the date I'll post it here. :)

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

My memories of the boys at Birxchfield Road were when we gilrs at Cantrebury Road played netball after school, and they appeared as our audience as if by magic.

Hey Di.....when did you go to Canterbury Rd? I could have been one of the 'peeping toms' :D

You were in short pants when I was at Canterbury Road Fran. :)

My sister went to a Comp somewhere near Perry Common, Chris.I forget where now. :-\

It's Canterbury Road Centenary next year, and I am so looking forward to it. Wonder if the lads form Birchfield Road will still be clinging to the railings ;)

Lovely photo Di., I was immediately transported back there to our reunion day. As you know, I managed to avoid the Junior School by going to St. Marys in Handsworth, but the Senior School....aaah. Me: last year of school, all my mates had left #sob# so thought I'd better 'pull my socks up' or I'd never get a job! So...top of the class in everything except maths and religious education. Just about sums me up to this day - can't add up and an agnostic! BUT - I can read and write, spell Ok and still devour books as though they're my life's blood.
Let me know when you're in Brum sometime - we'll meet up and have a longer chat than we managed at the old Alma Mater..eh?

I always thought my sister attended Lozells Street Girls school but apparently not. I am told she went to school somewhere off Birchfield Road behind where the cinema was. Does anyone know where I mean? She would have went there in the late 50's.

Jules I think you mean Canterbury road girls school?. Jean.

Edit. To confirm that Canterbury Road no Canterbury Cross Schools were the same schools see extract from British History Online below.

CANTERBURY CROSS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Handsworth. Canterbury Rd. Council Sch. opened 1907 by Handsworth U.D.C. Accom. 1,220 B, G, I.(1) Altered and reorganized 1930 for SG, JI. SG dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). Accom. provided 1949 in All Saints' Church Hall, Wenlock Rd., and 1952 in former Birchfield Rd. Day Nursery.(21) Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 11 classrooms, hall.(28)

CANTERBURY CROSS GIRLS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Handsworth.(27) Canterbury Rd. Girls' County Modern Sch. became a separate sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.).(21) Accom. for 120 in huts provided 1947. Name changed 1954.(28) N.o.b. 1961: 520.(27)

CANTERBURY ROAD SCHOOLS. See Canterbury Cross Cty. Primary Sch., Canterbury Cross Girls' Cty. Modern Sch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back