• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player problem

judith allport

master brummie
Pl can someone help me. I usedc to have gadgets such as clock, weather etc but now they are not visible only a slight trace of a few lines here and there where the clock is. I have the latest edition of Flash Player. Also on IE when i try and watch a video via I player it tells me to enable scripting. It is already enabled so i cannot understand what is wrong. I have windows 7 64 bit etc and 4GB of memory.

Re: Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player pro

Or you could do a System Restore to a point when all worked OK.

Re: Cannot see gadgets on my desktop THEREFORE CANNOT OPEN THEM. AlsoBBC I player pro

This may not be to the point but try right clicking on you task bar and look to see if the task bar is locked if not you may have accidentally dragged it down below the screen.Dek

The problem is I have them but when I double click they do not appear just an ! mark appears.
I don't know why you have lost your gadgets, but here is how to restart them.Click on Start ButtonClick on All ProgramsCLick on AccessoriesClicl on Windows SidebarFor more info on the sidebar / gadgets : https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Sidebar-and-gadgets-overviewHope this helps

The simplest answer then, will be to do a System Restore as suggested earlier. You will lose the printer installation but if it restores your gadgets, you will know the reason for sure. You can then try the re-install of the printer - it may work properly the second time.

With System Restore, you have to be patient. It can take quite a long time before it gets started. It looks like nothing is happening but eventually it should start OK - it can take a couple of minutes or so (it seems longer if you are not expecting a delay) before it reports that anything is happening. There is an equally long delay in the final stage of the re-assembly of the Windows Desktop after the Restore appears to have finished.

Lets hope you have a suitable restore point ,I did not (only had PC 3 weeks) so I had to do a full recovery and then spend the day putting all my files and software back. Still it solved my original problem. Eric

Judith, Have you tried right clicking any part of you desk top, clicking on 'gadgets' from the options box which appears then double click on the gadget you require ?? Eric

Back