• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannon Street

Can one of you knowledgable men tell me. There was a snooker hall just off Corporation Street, possibly in Fore Street on the first floor. Seemed to be behind Yates Wine Bar. Can you tell me if it was on the corner of Fore Street and Cannon Street?

Last edited:
hi folks...would anyone know when little cannon st was changed to fore st please and if possible why....

many thanks for any info...

lyn

Lyn
In the 1875 improvement map little cannon st goes across the site of what will be corporation st . the view in 1890 is at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...eetid=10098&ox=0&oy=0&zm=1&czm=10&x=218&y=187. In 1883-4 neither Fore st nor Little cannon st are listed. This is presumably while work is being carried out on the improvement. Fore st is listed in 1888. As part of little cannon st disappeared, they presumably thought it appropriate to change the name. Maybe the Fore came from Forward on the birmingham coat of arms, which was awarded in 1889..
Mike

little_cannon_st__1875.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn / Mike - thanks for the information ref the name change from Little Cannon to Fore Street. Very interesting. I must take a trip up that way in the summer - and like yourselves - think "crumbs, you wouldn't recognise half of this if you had lived here at the turn of the century"! Might take a look at the "back to back" housing example also while I'm there.

Mike could you be kind enough to have a look to see what the building was in the middle 1800s. Many thanks.

Carolina
The earliest directories seem to list it as a private house (dates are publication dates, which could at that time be more than 1 year earlier), though possibly with business from their homes, but this seems to change in the 1860s.
1841-50 George Newton Swinson, Surgeon (Eye hospital was a couple of doors away)
1855 George R.Bull
1862 Mrs Mary Louisa Pearson, stay & corset maker
1867 Thomas Ash & Co, zinc workers
Does that give you the information you require?

The stonework above the door seems to be a W with possibly an H. From 1872 or before it seems to be William Ash up till about 1900, though a Frank Smith & Wilson, auctioneers were also listed there alongside in later years. then in 1903 it was the Evening Despatch office

Attachments

• over door at 37 cannon st.jpg
    over door at 37 cannon st.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Mike. I also found this. But not sure whether it was No 37.

Polytechnic Institution, held in the Theatre of the Philosophical Institution, Cannon Street, was established in 1843. It embraces Public Classes for Instruction, in English Literature, Music, and Drawing, the French, Latin, and German Languages, Experimental Classes in Science, and Phonographic and Phonotypic classes. Lectures - of which 38 were delivered in 1837

Here we have the birthplace of Sands Cox in Cannon Street. (Image from “William Sands Cox and the Birmingham Medical School by J T Morrison, 1926”). Hard to imagine this scene in Cannon Street. The buildings that replaced these were much grander and taller, effectively making Cannon Street a darker street. Viv.

DFBDE948-AF11-48FF-9BCF-D882730CF743.jpeg

Last edited:
Can one of you knowledgable men tell me. There was a snooker hall just off Corporation Street, possibly in Fore Street on the first floor. Seemed to be behind Yates Wine Bar. Can you tell me if it was on the corner of Fore Street and Cannon Street?

Hi,

Very belatedly, yes, the door was in Fore Street near the junction of Cannon Street, and the snooker
hall stretched on the first floor the whole length of Fore Street and faced onto Corporation Street.

I remember going up there with some mates, and waving to the girls in C & A's 1st floor offices
on the other side of Corporation St.

It's got to be 60 years ago, but it seems like yesterday!

Kind regards
Dave

Thank you Dave. I can remember going in there a couple of times with my boyfriend at the time, and like you say, it's got to be about 60 years ago!!!

Judy

This may be the image that’s missing from post #1. I’ve extracted it from an article (article dated 7/9/1945) about the 75th anniversary of the Birmingham Mail. Viv.
747A9B61-702C-4581-AD0D-CB8A952405AD.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archives

Back