• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cannon Hill Park

Unfortunately, this is just a costing exercise with a grant that is usually awarded by the architectural heritage fund, a branch of Historic England. In my experiences these grants are what they say, for funding architects. I applied for one for about £2.5k match funded once. It was not a big amount, but I ended up attending thirteen meeting and submitting countless reports. In the end I was going to tell them to keep the grant.

The heritage industry is swimming with consults who are basically grant farming. I think if you do the numbers you would find that for every £100 spent on heritage about £1 gets spent on actual building work.

I did speak to a councillor about this a few years ago and suggested that they engage with a local technical college as this type of work is ideal for building industry apprentices. Again, they suggested I write a proposal, to which I declined to do as it was just going to be another layer of bureaucracy that did not get anything done to the building. Don’t hold your breath folks.

Unfortunately, this is just a costing exercise with a grant that is usually awarded by the architectural heritage fund, a branch of Historic England. In my experiences these grants are what they say, for funding architects. I applied for one for about £2.5k match funded once. It was not a big amount, but I ended up attending thirteen meeting and submitting countless reports. In the end I was going to tell them to keep the grant.

The heritage industry is swimming with consults who are basically grant farming. I think if you do the numbers you would find that for every £100 spent on heritage about £1 gets spent on actual building work.

I did speak to a councillor about this a few years ago and suggested that they engage with a local technical college as this type of work is ideal for building industry apprentices. Again, they suggested I write a proposal, to which I declined to do as it was just going to be another layer of bureaucracy that did not get anything done to the building. Don’t hold your breath folks.
agree with you mort...i just cant see the pub being saved now...which for its age is just tragic

lyn

In view of the council's bankruptcy and outstanding 'equality' wage debts, I can't see and funding being available for this (or, to be honest, and other non-essential) project. It would be mis-spending of public funds. The building can only be saved by offering it to a society or museum (Avoncroft or the like) to restore, even if it means moving it away. Leaving the status quo will only result in its eventual collapse and then being cleared away. Every day it deteriorates a little more.

I agree Morturn. Personally I think a large proportion of "consultants", whatever the field, though particularly those in HR, social work and business organisation, are pretty useless parasites.

far as i know janet it was always the golden lion....shame it was not left where it was as it could have stood a chance ..there should be old photos of it on the forum before it was removed

lyn

I didn't even know in all the visits I made to the park in my youth there was a pub there , I remember the pool we used to paddle, from what I remember at times it was rather difficult to pick your steps as the floor was coverd in rocks etc . I picked up an old welly on one visit in the river and I heard like a rat a tat from inside the boot , turned out it was a crayfish when I poured the water out of the boot . I was at a loss what was this alien in front of me at the age of about 8 or 9yo it was my first experience of seeing a crayfish .

Does anyone know what pub it was in Deritend prior to 1911? would be interesting to find out
It has its own thread

far as i know janet it was always the golden lion....shame it was not left where it was as it could have stood a chance ..there should be old photos of it on the forum before it was removed

lyn
Think you are right Lyn just found this picture:

Attachments

• 0_High-Street-Deritend-with-the-Golden-Lion-and-St-Johns (1).jpeg
    0_High-Street-Deritend-with-the-Golden-Lion-and-St-Johns (1).jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 8
Back