• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cannon Hill Park model of Elan Valley Dams

Stephanie K.

Brummie babby
Hello, I am trying to find out about the model of the Elan Valley dams which is situated in Canon Hill Park and wondered if anyone remembers it being installed or has any pictures of it when it went in in the 1960s or any other relevant information. We are hoping to do something to celebrate the connection between Elan Valley and Birmingham to coincide with the anniversary of Canon Hill Park in 2023 and would be very grateful for anything people can tell us about the model.

Many thanks in advance

Stephanie
Cultural Heritage Officer, Elan Links

Hello, many thanks for your help last year when I asked about the model of the Elan Valley dams in Canon Hill Park, most helpful. If anyone else has any other photographs or memories of it opening/going to see it I would love to hear from you.

What we would like to do to celebrate the connection between Elan Valley and Birmingham and to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Canon Hill Park in 2023 is refurbish the model. Does anyone know anybody who works with concrete - maybe an artist, or local concrete firm - who could help with this?

Many thanks in advance
Stephanie Elan Links

Hello, many thanks for your help last year when I asked about the model of the Elan Valley dams in Canon Hill Park, most helpful. If anyone else has any other photographs or memories of it opening/going to see it I would love to hear from you.

What we would like to do to celebrate the connection between Elan Valley and Birmingham and to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Canon Hill Park in 2023 is refurbish the model. Does anyone know anybody who works with concrete - maybe an artist, or local concrete firm - who could help with this?

Many thanks in advance
Stephanie Elan Links
Hi Stephanie

My first port of call would be to Severn Trent Water. The must have a corporate responsibility team with a budget for community engagement. They are also well experienced civil engineers too, so should be able to give good advice and guidance on refurbishment.

When you consider that the heritage of the modern water industry is almost entirely absent, despite its unarguable relevance to human development. Clean water changed the quality of lives of the many communities in the industrialised midlands, adding over twenty years to life expectancy.

The monument to clean water in Canon Hill Park is indeed under valued so let hope you can change this.

I notice that in the thread title and several posts there is reference to Canon Hill Park. It should of course be Cannon Hill Park. I don't usually mention spelling mistakes but if there is to be some sort of celebration in 2023 for the park then it's best to get the spelling correct.

I remember making a paper mache model of the Elan Valley in junior school. The whole class was involved. It sort of taught me some of the basics about water supply and clearly fixed the name of Birmingham’s water supply in my mind. I have a vague memory of the teacher using the model to explain the cycle of water by him wafting his arms over it like some magician !

I expect his inspiration came from the Cannon Hill Park model. Viv.

Viv

I remember making a paper mache model of the Elan Valley in junior school. The whole class was involved. It sort of taught me some of the basics about water supply and clearly fixed the name of Birmingham’s water supply in my mind. I have a vague memory of the teacher using the model to explain the cycle of water by him wafting his arms over it like some magician !

I expect his inspiration came from the Cannon Hill Park model. Viv.

Viv
Great memory, thanks for sharing

Back