• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannon Hill Park Memorial

Got this info on the photos.

It is by Albert Toft, made around 1905. It is a bronze sculpture on a red granite pedestal.

"To the glorious memory of the
SONS OF BIRMINGHAM
who fell in South Africa 1890-1902
and to perpetuate the example of all
who served in the Boer War.
This memorial is erected by their fellow citizens"

FBourne thank you very much for posting the link.

We on here are eternally greatful to all who transcribe old documents and make the available to all.

I hope some may find a lost relative it would be nice to know if they do.

Yes, i'd love to know!
I found a lost relative, but had the nerve wracking experience of waiting to visit and trying to find his name on the actual memorial - there was no transcription on the roll-of-honour site for this memorial, while nearly every other one, no matter how small was transcribed, so sad that Birmingham's hadn't been.
I decided I had to right a wrong and so submitted my list.

The memorial in earlier times. Maybe the first image was just after 1918 as there are men in uniform standing alongside the memorial. The second image is from 1967 (maybe around the Tulip Festival?) Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

cannon hill park-2.jpg
My Dad used to take us three lads and Mom to Cannon Hill and it was always the same. nice café, plenty of people fishing and very tranquil.

Last edited by a moderator:
#89 - Cannon Hill Park - Soldiers Memorial
#89 - Cannon Hill Park.jpg

#90 - Cannon Hill Park - Soldiers Memorial
#90 - Cannon Hill Park.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Close up of the plaque at the base of the Soldiers Memorial. I only seem to have the one photo and have no idea why I only took one side! I will have to go back and take the rest!

Attachments

• S Africa memorial Cannon Hll.jpg
    S Africa memorial Cannon Hll.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 5
Beautiful bronze plaque Janice.
There seems to have been some debate about where the memorial was to be placed. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yes - the whole statue looks wonderful. Interesting debate. I think from memory I took the photo with new camera and was just trying out shots so I will have to go back and take the statue properly.

Cannon Hill Park - Soldiers Memorial
2 Postcards - second one has used an edited version of the larger picture postcard.
Canno Hill Park - Soldiers Mem2.jpg Canno Hill Park - Soldiers Mem1.jpg

Back