• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannon Hill Park Memorial

O

O.C.

Could anyone tell me if this Soldiers Memorial is still in Cannon Hill Park ?

That was quick Jennyann, Thanks, just looked at the link you gave. Amazed it was unveiled by Lt.Gen.Sir
Ian Hamilton

The statue was designed by the same chap who designed the statues in the Hall of Memory
apparently. Hope that the city does the necessary repairs. This statue was very costly even for the time it was erected. It's a shame to let these important memorials get overlooked.

Be nice to see the change in it Oisin if you take it from the same position

Well got down to the park at last to have a look at the Memorial and it is in great condition from all sides
except for two broken bayonets, which is to be expected, well done to the council or parks committee
Photo taken on 15th July 2006

Oisin Any Idea if the Glacier Boulder which came from Arenig Mountains in the Ice Age is still in the park that was found in the bottom of the lake ? Photo 1900c

cromwell,

Sorry I didn't risk returning to this thread until I had the pictures. I went and got them today to find you'd beaten me to it. :-[

Yep that boulder is still there and there's also a remnant of a meteorite by the lake. The only thing that's missing is the mock windmill, used during the old Tulip Festival - that was burnt down by vandals years ago.

Anyway, just to prove I did get the photos, here's a couple...

Thanks Oisin...doesn't it make you want to take a pail of water and a brush to clean up the plaque. Great to be able to read the inscription.

I have a programme with the Windmill at Cannon Hill Park somewhere. It must have been the booklet/programme for the Tulip Festival years and years ago.

Here's a 1906 postcard of the memorial with bayonet's in tact.

THe chap who designed the South Africa War Mermorial in Cannon Hill Park

The chap was one Albert Toft (1862-1949).

Toft was born in Hunters Lane, Handsworth (at that time a town to the west of Birmingham and definately not part of it!). He was a highly-regarded artist who had produced a marble statue of His Highness Rajah Sudhal deb Bahadur of Bamra, as well as the statues to Queen Victoria at Leamington Spa, South Shields and Nottingham and the statue of Edward VII in Birmingham, as well as the bronzes around the Hall of Memory.

Toft had worked for Wedgwood, studying at the art school in Henley in the evenings, and then at Newcastle under Lyme.

In 1881 he went to London to study at National Art Training School, under Edouard Lanteri (1848-1917). He set himself up with a London studio, producing first bas-reliefs and doing some black and white work, and then turning to portrait sculpture which were much sought after.

Fate Led is in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool and the Spirit of Contemplation is in the collection of the Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle. Examples of Toft's portrait sculpture are in Peterborough and the Captain Ball memorial in Nottingham.

Two other famed public works of his are the Welsh National Memorial in Cardiff and the Royal London Fusiliers Monument in Holborn, London.

He died in a nursing home at Downview Rd in Worthing, Sussex on 18 December 1949

Read more at:

https://glasgowsculpture.com/pg_biography.php?sub=toft_a

Pro Civitate, thank you for the very informative history of the sculpter of the statue. I will keep this information with my postcard.

hello to all
I am researching my husband's family, the Hardings. My father in law told me a family story that his great-grandfather Tom or Thomas Harding is on the War Memorial in Cannon Hill Park, as he fought in the Boer war. I cannot find a transcription of the names on the memorial anywhere - can anyone help? ( I think the family story is wrong as Tom was still alive in 1911, just checking that the soldiers on it are those who died, not just those who fought?)

hoping some one can help - this is the first time I have posted, but have used the site in my research a lot - so many thanks!

Hi, many thanks for this. So does that mean that names of soldiers who fought but did not died are on it? It sounds from the inscription as if it could. I'm a bit dubious about this Thomas Harding having gone to war as he was in his late 30s with a young family.

It certainly reads that way.
I had a look on the UK National Inventory of War Memorials and they have no transcribed list of names.

Hi Maccalenny...was in Canon Hill Park today and remembered your post so had a look at the Boer war memorial. All names listed contain only the initial of the Christian name... There was just one Pte. T Harding.

Kind regards...Florence

Thanks so much Florence, that was very kind of you! I'm no nearer knowing whether he was our T Harding or not yet, but at least I now know there is that name on the memorial - I'm very grateful.

Kate

Back