• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cannon Hill Park Art Gallery & Historical Museum

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
found in the 1921 directory Cannon Hill Park Art Gallery & Historical Museum.

Any information on them gratefully received. Seem to remember going round the museum in the mid 50's.

There used to be a small one at the entrance to the park with stuffed animal and natural history. It's the entrance to the Nature Centre now. I'm not sure that this is the one you mean?
rosie.

I remember it so well, just up from the river ray, always had a "Midland dairies" 3 wheel trike, outside in the summers of the 1950's. Paul.

Mike,

The building is still there, but it has now been utilised as the entrance to the nature reserve.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Museum.jpg
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Museum.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 28
Phil

Thanks for the image , do you know anything of it's history ? I can't seem to find anything by googling !!!

Mike

Sorry I know nothing of it's history other than it has been there as long as I can remember, I used to visit it every time we visited the paddling pool that was just to the rear of the building. All I know it was an extension to the Birmingham Natural History Museum and that I think it was used for the exhibits they hadn't got room for in the main museum. I suppose when they opened the storage facility in Dollman Street it became surplus to requirements.

Its on the site o Pebble mill farm, but seems tohave been built after the farm was demolished between the wars.

Not sure if anyone is still watching this feed. I believe the building was designed by A Edgerton Leeson and the commission was as a result of a competition. Still trying to track down evidence for that and information about the competition.
The original intention was for a museum commemorating the War I think, but the hall of memory was built instead (as it would be more central).

The museum has had several uses over the years, as a museum of Birmingham, natural history and a nature centre type thing.

Trying to track down more information and images but typing cannon hill in limits the results somewhat! If anyone has anything to add, that would be great!

Back