• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canning & Co & Electroplating

I can help with a few names. In photo 1 the person to the far right with the sideboard whiskers is FRED DAVIS and behind him ERNIE FELTON. The lady to the right with dark hair and glasses is possibly JOAN CHAPMAN and the person to the left with his hand to his chin is A.E.JONES. In the third photo down the person with the striped suit and glasses is BEN TROMANS and in the next photo he is making a presentation to COLIN SATTERTHWATE.

Norman,

I spoke to my brother for a while on the phone tonight and he remembers your name, but like many of us, can't put faces to names. I've just sent him the pics you and Postie posted, but most of the names I read out to him didn't mean anything. He says the name Reg Bleakman from the Home Guard picture rings a bell, but it is well before his time. He gets occasional messages from someone he used to work with. He says the Sales person you are probably thinking of was Chris Bird, and sadly he died earlier this year. I'll post again if he remembers any of the faces.

Maurice

Brian Halligan was Harry Eacocks' assistant, but I have completely forgotten the names of the girls in the office. Ben Tromans name rang a bell. I was there 1957 to 1962 and by the time I left, I knew my Anode from my Cathode. I remember the companies so reliant on the Motor Trade, Wilmot Breedon have been already mentioned, but there was a company called I think Frys Diecasting from Wolverhampton who had a big contract with Ford and like WB wanted everything yesterday, because they could not afford downtime. I wonder how they would get on in todays JIT (Just in Time) philosophy, where spares are no longer stocked by suppliers, but have to be ordered in, often from abroad.

Bob

Postie.
Many thanks for the photo how did you get it i'm amazed, just a little before my time, but I ended up working for Reg Bleakman who told me that they had a great time fire watching but he used to fall asleep on a stretcher they had, so the lads who I do not know carried him outside and placed him across the rectangular water tank on the carpark.
Once again many thanks
Rgds

hi folks i have been given some old canning quarterly news books...dates are 1959/67/70/72 the books contain loads of photos of workers and info and photos of employees weddings...retirements...leaving the company...births..etc etc etc... a menu for the 22nd annual 20 club dated 1979 and on the back it lists the names of new members..if anyone would like me to look up any names that may be mentioned in the quarterly news books just let me know..in one of the books is a wonderful photograph of the 1912 premises gt hampton st in the process of construction if anyone would like me to scan and post it please say in fact there are 2 photos of construction..i have certainly not seen them before..i can also scan the menu front inside and back if its of interest to anyone...i also have a book called the canning story 1785-1985 but have not had time to go through that one yet and there are a few other bits and pieces i need to look at... i would like to thank our member rosielab (sue) for passing them onto to me rather than throw them out as she now has to down size....thanks sue i wish everyone would think like you because once this history is gone its gone

lyn

Last edited:
If any of these folk or their families are readers here, I hope they see the humorous side of my post. But picture five of post 44 has some familiar political faces as far as I can make out. (Maybe I should go to Specsavers? :D)
From l to r: H. Wilson, M. Foot, A. Bevan, Dr. Beeching, M. Thatcher, G. Marx and P. Moore.

Last edited:
hi folks i have been given some old canning quarterly news books...dates are 1959/67/70/72 the books contain loads of photos of workers and info and photos of employees weddings...retirements...leaving the company...births..etc etc etc... a menu for the 22nd annual 20 club dated 1979 and on the back it lists the names of new members..if anyone would like me to look up any names that may be mentioned in the quarterly news books just let me know..in one of the books is a wonderful photograph of the 1912 premises gt hampton st in the process of construction if anyone would like me to scan and post it please say in fact there are 2 photos of construction..i have certainly not seen them before..i can also scan the menu front inside and back if its of interest to anyone...i also have a book called the canning story 1785-1985 but have not had time to go through that one yet and there are a few other bits and pieces i need to look at... i would like to thank our member rosielab (sue) for passing them onto to me rather than throw them out as she now has to down size....thanks sue i wish everyone would think like you because once this history is gone its gone

lyn
I was there 1957 to 1962, the name would be Robert Davis working in engineering sales, if there ia a mention, could be marriage 26/12/1959, very interesred in it all though.
Bob

Postie.
Many thanks for the photo how did you get it i'm amazed, just a little before my time, but I ended up working for Reg Bleakman who told me that they had a great time fire watching but he used to fall asleep on a stretcher they had, so the lads who I do not know carried him outside and placed him across the rectangular water tank on the carpark.
Once again many thanks
Rgds
The chappie next to Maggie Thatcher, not Dr Beeching (Harry Eacock) but the other side, isn't he that reporter from BBC used to be on tonight.....Michael something?
Bob

re post 51 here are the 2 photos taken of the construction of cannings 1912 if anyone else wants me to scan and post any of the other info i have please let me know..im not very good at scanning from books so if anyone would like to tidy them up please feel freeimg342.jpgimg343.jpg

lyn

I was there 1957 to 1962, the name would be Robert Davis working in engineering sales, if there ia a mention, could be marriage 26/12/1959, very interesred in it all though.
Bob

sorry bob i missed your post:rolleyes:...will have a look later to see if you are mentioned anywhere

lyn

Hi Keith.
Glad to see you again. I made a big mistake saying on a reply that Arthur Knight was in charge of publicity do you remember who was in charge in the fifties I think Robert Allen took over from him.
The memory isnt what it used to be.
Rgds Norman
When I joined the Publicity Dept in 1961 Mr Brockington was manager, with Robert Allen in the office along with Sid Smith. Valerie Stanton was Mr Brockington's secretary.

hi bob there 10 marriage day photos of canning workers that took place in 1959 but alas yours is not amongst them...sorry

lyn

Thanks for downloading the 7th edition of the Canning Handbook, I still have a copy of the 23rd Edition which has a list of publish dates which shows the 7th edition was originally printed in 1918.
I remember seeing the original of yours when I joined Cannings in 1950, in the Publicity department which was run by Arthur Knight.
Best Regards Norman Thurston
My dad Jeffery Dry worked at Cannings on Great Hampton Street from 1960 to 62, he knew Sir Ernest Canning and worked as Publicity Manager responsible for the catalogues and meeting customers, so Dad was about 35 then when we were living in Hall Green.

My dad Jeffery Dry worked at Cannings on Great Hampton Street from 1960 to 62, he knew Sir Ernest Canning and worked as Publicity Manager responsible for the catalogues and meeting customers, so Dad was about 35 then when we were living in Hall Green.
Actually must have been earlier when dad worked at Cannings, probably more like 1955 than 1960, dad was born in 1925 so my dates are out.

lyn

Hello Lyn, my dad worked at Cannings Great Hampton Street but I'm unsure of dates possibly 1955 to 1962 I think as we lived in Hall Green back around then when I was 6. Dad was working in Publicity and knew Sir Ernest Canning, as dad was responsible for the catalogues. Anything from those far off days will be of interest for me. Thanks.

When I joined the Publicity Dept in 1961 Mr Brockington was manager, with Robert Allen in the office along with Sid Smith. Valerie Stanton was Mr Brockington's secretary.
do you by chance remember Jeffery Dry, he would have been about 30 in 1955, my dad, he worked at Cannings in Publicity but I'm sketchy on the actual dates. He left about 1962 to work in Wolverhampton.

I have been reminiscing by reading all your posts, I joined Cannings as an apprentice in December 1960 and left in 1973 I believe, I worked my way through all the departments of the Eng Works, I then worked in the Laboratory before moving to Head office, then sales of Harperizers for Ron Beebee, Rod Chapman-Davies and Rick Holford-Jones. You all mention many names of colleagues of mine! Roy worked for Harry Hall in the Elect Test Shop, I learned so much from Roy, Alan Smith and others. I am in touch with John Cheatle. I also can contact John Clements and Richard Murgatroyd if pushed!
I left and joined Oxy Metal Finishing based in Moor Lane Witton before getting a good international sales position with an American Company in Atlanta USA. I still have a Canning Handbook on Plating but it’s not been opened for a good few years! Great to see Norman Thurston active on the site!
Best wishes all!

hello george and welcome to the forum i thought i recognised your name..i do believe we were both at oxy metal at the same time think head office was at woking..i was on the switchboard..its a long time ago now but names that spring to mind are george nicklin and i think it was ian redding ? there were also 2 ladies older than me one possibly a secretary..will try to remember their names.. hope you enjoy the forum

lyn

Last edited:
hello george and welcome to the forum i thought i recognised your name..i do believe we were both at oxy metal at the same time think head office was at woking..i was on the switchboard..its a long time ago now but names that spring to mind are george nicklin and i think it was ian redding ? there were also 2 ladies older than me one possibly a secretary..will try to remember their names.. hope you enjoy the forum

lyn
Hello Lyn, I do remember you! also Maureen on the switchboard, the other ladies were Margaret Hall I think and Liz Hayley who lives next to my mother in law. I remember George Nicklin, Ted Johnson, Cyril Howson, and Ian Redding and several other old colleagues! Peter Hill, Trevor Bedenham, Graham Hammond who I met some years later in Auckland NZ, we were quite a team! Lyn, were you at Cannings also as you are on this site? Best wishes George

George,

I'm sorry to inform you that my brother, Roy Sheppard, passed away at the age of 81 on 3rd June. Until around six years or so ago he'd been a very heavy smoker and in his later years suffered from emphysema, though it was a cardiac arrest that finally caused his death. I'll post three photographs shortly, though I don't know the dates that they were taken, nor the names of the other members of staff on one of them.

Maurice :cool:

Hello Lyn, I do remember you! also Maureen on the switchboard, the other ladies were Margaret Hall I think and Liz Hayley who lives next to my mother in law. I remember George Nicklin, Ted Johnson, Cyril Howson, and Ian Redding and several other old colleagues! Peter Hill, Trevor Bedenham, Graham Hammond who I met some years later in Auckland NZ, we were quite a team! Lyn, were you at Cannings also as you are on this site? Best wishes George

ahh so it is you george :) i thought it must be...i am posting on the cannings thread because i noticed your user name and it rang bells but no i never worked at cannings

what a blast from the past this is...now that you have mentioned a few more names i do remember peter hill...ted johnson and trevor bedenham..the name maureen also rings bells. george rather than take this thread off topic i will send you a private message if that is ok with you.. all the best

lyn

George,

I'm sorry to inform you that my brother, Roy Sheppard, passed away at the age of 81 on 3rd June. Until around six years or so ago he'd been a very heavy smoker and in his later years suffered from emphysema, though it was a cardiac arrest that finally caused his death. I'll post three photographs shortly, though I don't know the dates that they were taken, nor the names of the other members of staff on one of them.

George,

ahh so it is you george :) i thought it must be...i am posting on the cannings thread because i noticed your user name and it rang bells but no i never worked at cannings

what a blast from the past this is...now that you have mentioned a few more names i do remember peter hill...ted johnson and trevor bedenham..the name maureen also rings bells. george rather than take this thread off topic i will send you a private message if that is ok with you.. all the best

lyn
Lyn, good idea. G

Thanks to all on this forum for giving me a much better idea of what my father may have been involved in work wise when he worked at Cannings in the Publicity Dept around 1958-1962 but I don't know exact dates. His name was Jeffery Dry, then aged around 35 and on his 2nd job. He told me some stories of Sir Ernest Canning and his rod of iron but respect he commanded. A long time ago now of course. For myself I joined Rover Cars then Lucas Industries, so stayed in engineering.

I have been reminiscing by reading all your posts, I joined Cannings as an apprentice in December 1960 and left in 1973 I believe, I worked my way through all the departments of the Eng Works, I then worked in the Laboratory before moving to Head office, then sales of Harperizers for Ron Beebee, Rod Chapman-Davies and Rick Holford-Jones. You all mention many names of colleagues of mine! Roy worked for Harry Hall in the Elect Test Shop, I learned so much from Roy, Alan Smith and others. I am in touch with John Cheatle. I also can contact John Clements and Richard Murgatroyd if pushed!
I left and joined Oxy Metal Finishing based in Moor Lane Witton before getting a good international sales position with an American Company in Atlanta USA. I still have a Canning Handbook on Plating but it’s not been opened for a good few years! Great to see Norman Thurston active on the site!
Best wishes all!
George,
Welcome to the forum, great folks with a wealth of knowledge about everything. Where in Hotlanta are you?

Back