• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cancelling Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Could anyone tell me how to cancel alerts on one particular thread please? I can see how to cancel all alerts but not a single one!

As I have never received thread alerts since being a member, because I have never seen the need because I log on to the forum at least once every day. Whilst I realise that the new operating system sends out emails about messages received, I am not too sure if in fact anybody receives emails about posts, but I suppose it has something to do with threads you are watching.

since joining the forum in 2008 i have always received email alerts to tell me a member has posted on a thread that i have posted on...always found it very useful especially if i am away on holiday for a week or so..when i get back i just check my emails...just tried something and if you do not want to receive the red alerts go to alert preferences and untick the box..

Last edited:
I used to get e-mails, but since the change in the forum mechanism, I don't. That doesn't worry me as I am the same as Phil.

As I have never received thread alerts since being a member, because I have never seen the need because I log on to the forum at least once every day. Whilst I realise that the new operating system sends out emails about messages received, I am not too sure if in fact anybody receives emails about posts, but I suppose it has something to do with threads you are watching.
I don't see the need for them but usually get an email to tell me of a new post on some thread I have contributed to. They only come for threads I have posted. Useful if I am away as Lynn says and the thread has gone from recent posts. If I log in immediately I also have a red alert.

I don't get any emails - just a red 'Alert' notice top right of screen! I've checked my preferences but although the relevant box is ticked I haven't received an email alert since the site was updated several months ago.
I have always received emails from the forum subject to the following Xenforo default...
By default, XenForo will only email notify you on the first new post/reply after the last one you read. Any additional ones will not show up with new email notifications until you visit the thread and read the latest post which appears to reset the email setting, so you will get an email with the next response.
Many of us have more than one email address so you could try using a different email address in forum preferences settings. I did this some years ago on the old vB system when I did not receive forum alerts and it seemed to jolt things into action.

If you have not got a second email but use Windows 10 with a Microsoft log-in, then you could use the basic xxxxxx.outlook.com email which comes with W10 as a second email address and which also shows a small envelope on the lock screen for unread received emails.

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me how to cancel alerts on one particular thread please? I can see how to cancel all alerts but not a single one!
An alert for a particular thread can be cancelled by opening the thread and selecting 'Unwatch Thread' on the right of screen.

Many of us have more than one email address so you could try using a different email address in forum preferences settings. I did this some years ago on the old vB system when I did not receive forum alerts and it seemed to jolt things into action.

Many thanks oldMohawk - using another email address brought the notifications back to life! Thanks also to everyone else who replied. John

Updating this thread as follows:

You can change your alert preferences by
* going into your account (click on your name in the blue bar above)
* select ‘preferences’
* you’ll then be presented with email options

Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back