• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

Could see from the no 63 bus on the Bristol Road in Selly Oak that they already have a bridge built over the Lapal Canal at Selly Oak Junction from the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

It goes along the side of the Sainsbury's Service building to the Unite student accommodation tower.

They just need to dig out the soil in the middle and the paving.

Could see from the no 63 bus on the Bristol Road in Selly Oak that they already have a bridge built over the Lapal Canal at Selly Oak Junction from the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

It goes along the side of the Sainsbury's Service building to the Unite student accommodation tower.

They just need to dig out the soil in the middle and the paving.

My grandson from Taunton is living in that student accommodation, it is very nice
Bob

Last edited:
My grandson from Taunton is loving in that student accommodation, it is very nice
Bob
Probably!
Somewhat inspired by Tim West and Prunella Scales planning to come cruising on Worcester-Birmingham & Stratford-on -Avon. Shall be avoiding locks. Hope for idyllic weather etc.

I work on Bridge Street, adjacent to Gas Street Basin (the business park I work in is even called The Wharf). I am very curious about this cottage/pair of cottages that are on the corner of Bridge Street & Holliday Street. I have tried to find out about them, but can't find anything. There is an estate agents sign on the side, but it's been there years & there's nothing on their website.

I feel they must be connected to the canal or wharf in some way & as everything thing else around there has been demolished there must be a reason why these haven't been.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200322_122655.jpg
    20200322_122655.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200322_122811.jpg
    20200322_122811.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 22
I work on Bridge Street, adjacent to Gas Street Basin (the business park I work in is even called The Wharf). I am very curious about this cottage/pair of cottages that are on the corner of Bridge Street & Holliday Street. I have tried to find out about them, but can't find anything. There is an estate agents sign on the side, but it's been there years & there's nothing on their website.

I feel they must be connected to the canal or wharf in some way & as everything thing else around there has been demolished there must be a reason why these haven't been.

Any ideas?
Judi, there might be some convents as too the use of the properties that is maybe why they have not sold. Not sure if you have called the agents to find out about them. They usually do not put everything on the website!
Just a thought...….

It's a great view, one I don't tire of even though I see it so often as it's right next to where I work!

I won't see it for a while though as I'll be home working for the foreseeable future.

Brilliant picture and you may not believe it one of the most peaceful places that we tied up at. If you are looking for good night's sleep, go enjoy a meal in Brindley Place and then return to your boat here not a sound all night, Brindley Place was alive and roaring, down on the water different place.
Bob
Yes, it is very tranquil. The Canada Geese can be rather noisy on occasion though!!

Not a Birmingham Canal, but in these times may be of interest to those interested in canals.

Bridgewater 250: Researching the archaeology and history of the first industrial canal.
Pedro, this is wonderful article, thank you!
As an engineer that has built plants, when I see articles like this I wonder if we would have the courage to do this today! Thinking about doing all that work without a CAT or JCB would be a non starter! I so enjoy reading about canals, just wish I had paid more attention to them when they were all around me.

And inevitably quite a few deaths in the process in those days, Richard. Back-breaking, unhealthy work must have taken its toll.

Maurice :cool:

Back