• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

The Kings Norton or Brandwood Tunnel which I find rather strange as it has twin niches in the brickwork which look as though they were made for a pair of statues.
The horses pulling the butties had to go over the top and a motor narrow boat had to fire up and tow the boats through.....filling the tunnel with smoke which could not have been very pleasant
The First photo was taken in the 1900's and shows the entrance to the West portal of the 352 yd long tunnel ....notice how dramatic it has changed over the years compared with the four I took

PS Just found out that their was a bust of William Shakespeare in one of the niches many years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
The other end of the tunnel up to 1975 had a portrait of William Shakespeare............
It was a circular stone plaque bearing Shakespeare's head between laurel sprays ..
As the brickwork was redone at a later date the head was enclosed in a square design

Rupert, Going back to page 16 post 157 on the tunnel puzzle, I think the next 3 pics explains a bit more
The First photo I got (courtesy of Birmingham Central Library Services)
shows a narrow boat going down the Farmers Flight at Newhall St in 1984
(Boat is last surviving steam powered narrow boat built at Saltley 1909 by F.M.C.) take note of the yellow arrow and another arch and the small tunnels without the roof on.........so where all the small chambers connected ?
The second pic I took from about the same spot

Cromwell, I don't know but can only surmise that the need for coal supplies for the barge stoves for barges that did not go near a coal wharf. meant that it was delivered to lock up spots locally. Steam barges would need more coal. It would have been time consuming to go up a long flight of locks to get coal at the Old Wharf. Maybe supplies could be delivered to these compartments via a passage way behind.

Rupert watch this space as I have a few people intrested and have come to help and are intrested in the "cuts" but I have noted the arches in the above photo all lead into the same building so why not have one door or opening ?

The Canal tunnels presented many problems for the men and their families before the canal companies realized that some tunnels were quite dangerous.
If they had a stove burning away entering a long tunnel as the men legged the boat (first pic) through it been know that the fumes rendered the men unconscious.
The canal companies had strict rules for the tunnels and cooking fires had to be nearly out before the towing boats would tow a buttie through while the horse and family went over the top to the other side.(second pic)
Just like a house chimney the tunnels became covered in soot and the first method to sweep them was to cut a tree down and tie it on the boat and drive through the tunnel
Then came the Brusher Boat fitted with brushes like brooms which could alter to fit the shape of the tunnel (third pic)
Ashted Tunnel on the Digbeth Branch canal (fourth pic.)

Decoration And Public Works

It seems like an aeon, though I'm thrilled and delighted to report abrupt recovery from pestilence. Anyone who endured, whether younger child or elderfolk, the vile fogs where people hugged walls to make to their abodes, or sought refuge in taverns, when omnibuses either crawled, often with a pointman (the conductor) in front [!], or were stilled, and one could often not see your own hand extended full arm before, will know what a hacking cough is. It is astonishing how so many of the workforce, of what ever description, made it to and fro. Of course the domestic consumption grade coal was the lowest. Tip top being for export. Next tier for industry (incl. commerce). So in a chill, damp maritime climate it is hardly surprising the dense thick acrid stuff hung, clung so one was sort of drowning in air like a fish out of water. I recall, as an infant, a most dense wafting gamboge murky limish green thick blanket. I remember viewing as a young lad a "Teddy Boy's" bright yellow socks across a narrow lane, and as well some yellow pieces set in the preposterous suede thick sole lace ups.
The fire up operation through the tunnel was of course a relief for the horse and I dare say a chance for snooze by the towed party. The operator of the combustion contraption was likely puffing his pipe as the smoke wafted behind.

Following my recent bout of infirmity of no mean import, mayhap stout would have proved roburant, there is a wealth of contemplative material herewith and I am as well as being able to breathe unfettered, on that account notwithstanding, ditto with breadth and depth of illustrations. Some are so close up is so that it is 'somewhat' difficult to fix presactly where. But that is a kind of digression.

I've some contribution further, though I will print the photos &c so that I might mull with big magnifying glass.

The Mission building is a handsome job and unfortunately the old BCN complex was obliterated as well. The Salvation Army and it appears the Methodist contingent were prominent pastoral and 3 Rs outreach.

Query:
On Adderley Street [Adderly] there was a huge expanse of public works yardage, including coal and coke stockpiling for distribution. That was off the canal before Bordesley - Camp Hill reach from the Digbeth cut alongside the massive railway freitage yard at Vauxhall, by the Rea culvert and immense Birmingham municipal refuge disposal plant (incidentally: what has become of that astonishing edifice?). I am gazing with my back to Watery Lane facing the Duddeston (loop) railway viaduct and the construct as warehouse-yardage my left. (The Wagon and Horses same side beyond)

Canal to Camp Hill at Coventry Road: W side off said was another public works yard stockpiling such as grit, salt and other items. It was evident to myself that at one time this big yard was served by canal boats. Thence south to the massive high fire blue engineering brick viaducts the Camp Hill locale.

(Cromwell: what are the foundations on those arches? The fact the pillars are all laid brick is astounding, of course: how far down and are they set on concrete blocks? Considering the immensity of weight thundering the length and breadth non-stop they have have remained true.)

This might be olden hat; viz.: Gas Street basin, past the Opposite Lock recreation club, was another such large public works yard with the same stocks. Presumably nearby was The Mission.
The length of canal pictured 1966 with the railway cut alongside I recall. The photo is snapped from an interesting vantage point!
The brick arches are immense load bearing as retaining wall inner urban. Otherwise there would be no need. I recall about that time, mayhap further along toward the right angle bend alongside UoB campus, the railway in use and a lone elevated signal box still ago.
Must have been a marvellous assignment any time of year. But that picture I am a touch puzzled by: I see the center of the city as Civic Center yonder so I've my bearings but I don't understand the absence of tracks. Of course given monumental incompetence then and now as a constant common denominator then I suppose that is hardly surprising.

Regarding iron bridge spans: the Smethwick construction is of course a wonder. First occasion I traversed as a lad I might have as well have been awestruck at the wonders of ancient works such as Rome and so on and so forth.

Afore I go, during my secluded infirmity quite miserable, self immunizing from rambling, I was fascinated at the photographs of the narrow boat residential cabins for, for the most part, a family. It does not get more cozy than that. The frozen winter boatman lug about the streets is a searing index germane as to the extent of brutalization which industrialization entails.

;)

Decoration

I forgot in great haste: was the painted decoration of flowers and castles (apparently roses and castles) done by women or jointly with menfolk, or with women and children?
Did they carry the floral into their embroidery such as aprons?

It is noteworthy their stalwarts. The castle representing indomitable man made security and the rose of what is natural regenerative; both being aspirant crowns of creation. There is a Romany flair. Though of course no sensible person would seriously suggest such illustration was originated and monopolized by one ethnic group.
There's clearly a collective consciousness at hand. The castle is masculine family specific and the rose feminine principle.

Did they have folk music? Any evidence of such as clog dancing, spoon playing? What sport such as skittles?

Hmld If the Viaduct you are talking about is the one running from Bordesley Goods Station to Curzon St Wharf it was the biggest white elephant the railways ever made and was in disuse as soon as it went into service as it became a pointless railway track (but thats another story for another thread) the viaduct was built just like a normal bridge with no special foundations as the weight was spread over half a mile (like a stick lying down instead of standing upright)
The Painting on the boats were done I should imagine in their spare time and all as they had to do was paint over the old design so it could be done with very little skill just like tracing with paint.
The favorite instrument was the old squeeze box,and I did find out most of the boats carried bicycles so they could race ahead and open lock gates...
I spent a weekend down at the Waterways Museum at Stoke Bruerne on the Grand Union to check a few facts out, and find out what I did not know......what an amazing place and if you like the 'cut' it is a must to visit and I recommend the full breakfast at the Boat inn washed down with a few pints of real ale
They have a Narrow boat weighing machine over 100 years old which I took a few pics of and will post later
The weighing of the cargo on the Narrow boats baffles a few people but it was a very easy and pretty accurate method.... the empty boat was Gauged and the toll keeper had a gauging rod to measure each boat.
He was issued with a set of books with all the weight and measures of all the different boats and each cargo had a different rate, and if you got caught fiddling like hiding a load of pipes under sand or gravel the fines were heavy.
Going back to the drawing on page 16 post 152 on walking the towpaths of the Grand Union I came across the wood used to make a dam across the cut, so all they had to do was drop the wood in the slots and open the lock gates further down and the water level would drop dramatical as the canal is a flowing body of water
The pewter horn was used by the boatmen to warn other boats going round a blind turn or entering a tunnel.
The pic of the two narrow boat is quite good as it shows the toll keeper gauging the boat

When I was in the Boat Pub on the side of Grand Union enjoying a few beers I spotted a great painting hanging on the wall of a Fly boat traveling through the night which really bought home what words could not, so the barman allowed me to take a pic of it to put on the forum.
Also A poster I found in Brum of a B'ham man who was fined for trying to evade the proper toll charge on his boat and was fined.

Great painting, Crommie. I like all the little details like the steam rising out of the overflow pipe, the water running from the downpipes, the steam outa the engine, not to mention the courting couple also getting steamed up. :rolleyes:

Canal by Nechels Power Station 1950's

Hi

Copy of a 1950's picture of Nechell's Power Station with the
River and Canal.
Looks like a Winter setting.
Im not sure of the direction of Photograph.
Looks a little countryside in the distance.
Could be Gravelly Hill Erdington.

Mike Jenks

Hi Mike Jenks - That's a very interesting picture of the Fazeley Canal, which must have been taken from or near Cuckoo Lane bridge, where I think there was a public access to the towpath. I have been comparing the picture with the Alan Godfrey OS copy of 1904, which shows several of the features - but no power station of course, and it looks as if the canal must have been realigned near Salford Bridge when that was rebuilt and widened in the 1920s.
The river on the right is of course Hockley Brook, and the background is Gravelly Hill and Erdington.
Peter

Not quite right Peter I have put arrow were pic was taken from, Map is 60's canal map

How they ruined our cut...Nechells Power Station view would never be the same again

Cromwell, you're quite right of course. What fooled me was the buildings on the left, from which I assumed could only be those fronting on Lichfield Road. I was forgetting Tyburn Road, probably because it wasn't built until the 1920s and the area on the left of that pic was just fields in 1904 when the old map was published. In fact the photo would have been taken from the junction with the canal to Saltley and Bordesley.
Although I have walked that bit of the Fazeley Canal 50 years ago, I don't think I've ever done the stretch from Salford Bridge up towards town. I should have realised that Hockley Brook is much smaller than the river Tame in the photo.
The old map also shows that diagonal bridge over the river, which must have contained either water or drainage pipes.
Peter

canal boats

hi all cromwell the post 221 last picture is one of my husbands family, they were the harrisons all boatmen i have a lot of pictures of them on the boats.

thanks kmt123

kmt 123 - What great photos to have of your husbands family. We hear so much of the life on the canals but to know about that first hand must be fantastic. Do you know whether any of their boats still exist.
The boat on the picture on the right with the decorated doors is like one we saw when we were there in 2005. It was now a restaurant.:) Mo

kmt123, Thanks for showing us those pic's.here is another view of the Harrison family as the boats are gauged ......I see they worked for Fellows Morton and Clayton as well as the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company.... would your husband have known Charlie Carter ? and do you know the name of the boats ? they worked

canal boats

hi all they worked on the hanwell,the exe and laurel, here is a picture of my husbands nan (who is standing) emily on hanwell the little girl is his aunt hilda (who is on the other picture with her brother billy when she was older) the picture was taken around 1926 emily drowned in canal on a foggy night around 1943 the other picture is ann stokes his great great aunt View attachment 7743

View attachment 7744

I posted two photo's of Ann Stokes a while back (one is on page 12 post 117) took from the same sequence of pics as you have just put on...so it looks as though a whole series of her was taken.
Within the next few weeks I will be doing a bit about Eily 'Kit' Gayford who trained a lot of the women during WW2 as I have some intresting pic's of her..
My Son's wife grandparents were boatpeople ...The Barlows
Nice photo of a very early boatmans water bucket

Charlie Carter filling his Buckby Can (water bucket) at Sutton Stop (Hawkesbury Junction

Just past our famous Ackerdocks Mike the old Salvage and Destructor Works Hay Mills -Tyseley... Grand Union

Just to add to the tunnel mystery from page 16 post 157 take a look at this postcard of a narrow boat on the Farmers Fllight

If you ever wonder what were on the man made islands you see in the middle of the cut here is a couple of photo’s from the past.
The first one shows the small toll keeper’s abode at Groveland Bridge on the Netherton tunnel branch line built in 1848; note the wooden barriers going across each side so boats could not pass till the toll was paid
The second pic shows a barge (narrow boat) weighing machine, boat would float over it, water drained out and the empty boat would be weighed or if suspected of evading tolls weighed full.
The last two pic I took the one from the bridge and the other one to show on the island which looks as though someone’s been on and took some of the flooring of the building that had been on stop bar

Four Pic's I took of the preserved boat weighing machine at Stoke Bruerne

Just to show I have got a heart I released this lot out of a lock yesterday as the little ones looked fed up waiting for the next boat to come along

Back