• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

Nice map John, both bridges Friday & Saturday in town is where the men met to get their wages some on a Friday some on a Saturday

Going away from town on leaving the Camp hill flight of locks, Samson Road Wharf is reached, it was greatly enlarged in the late 1930’s erecting large warehouses and cranes to create an inland port, once known as Birmingham Quay. The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company also had a small fleet of lorries that served the depot, which could speedily transport goods to anywhere in Birmingham. Nearly all general cargo was handled at this Wharf including the Cement that came from The Rugby and Portland Cement Company’s works at Southam to their main depot situated nearby which finally came to an end in 1969. The horse drawn butties took 15 hours to pull the load from Southam to Sampson St Wharf loaded with two hundredweight jute sacks of cement and if they carried on to Crescent Wharf in Town it took another 4 hours ……..In the 1930’s they were handling 2.000 tons a month

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the Birmingham Quay lorries with a narrow boat behind and behind that the railway

Colin, when you went to take a pic of the guillotine lock at Kings Norton did you go any further along the canal to the Kings Norton or Brandwood Tunnel ? which I find rather strange as it has twin niches in the brickwork which look as though they were made for a pair of statues also there is a stone plaque of William Shakespeare ( which I think was the canal companies seal ) this is the west side of the tunnel which I find is rather unique........I have an old photo which I will post at a later date

Graham,did not go that far that way,I parked at the old swing bridge by Sturges chemical works and walked west to the junction with the Worcester/Birmingham Canal,passing the guillotine lock on the way.
As you say the plaque is on the west portal and the niches on the east end.I have found many references to them,but no explanation as to why they were built like that.

Colin

If I remember right Colin the tunnel is about 16ft wide and about 352 yds long and still had the original iron handrails in the side of the tunnel walls so the boat could be hauled through........I will take a trip up there when the weather gets a bit better and have a look...

As you leave the canal at Gas Street Basin (by Narrow Boat or Walking the towpath) travelling towards Wolverhampton.. Galton Bridge is reached after about 4-5 miles which was designed by Telford which is a superb cast iron lacy bridge spanning 150 ft and dates from 1829 it was named after the Chairman of the Finance Committee of the Birmingham Canal Company of 1826 and is recognized as an ancient monument…and at the nearby Galton Heritage centre I had the good fortune to meet Ian Sadler who kindly gave me a panel which he had just painted which demonstrated how the rose designs were laid out and after talking to him for a few hours confirms what I know about the boat decorations (Roses and Castles) and where the boat people come from……its been lost in the mists of time…Ian runs free painting classes if anyone is interested on canal art Tel. No is 0121 558 8195….and he is also involved in the restoration work in the old Pump house which had one of James Watts beam engines in …..which I should be able to visit in a few weeks time and go down and see the workings...
He told me about a bridge further down which the side has all been hacked away as when the horse came along pulling the boat as he went under the bridge which is quite narrow it knocked the horse into the canal ……so I went and took a few pictures of it..... which is just before Bridge St North and just north of Windmill Lane Smethwick

The 15 by 12 inch panel that Ian did for me to demonstrate the art of traditional canal painting that the boat people decorated their boats with done in 5 stages starting with 3 chalk rings for 3 roses.....the white tips on the leaves in No 2 just shows a variation

I don't want to take up space on here but I have to say that this is a magnificent collection of material.

Rupert I was allowed to go on one of the old Morton boats and photograph the 7ft long cabin and boy did I get a shock...I was showed how 6 human beings sleep on the night 2 in a double bunk one in a pull down cupboard two on a board that pulled down and a baby in a bottom draw..........
I took pics of the whole sequence ..... the stove is in the same room ......the chimney for the stove had a chain attached and was hinged so if could be pulled down flat when going under a low bridge
First photo Looking into the cabin from rear of the boat.
Second Photo, Seat which was used as a single bed and could be made into a double by adding a plank or two. By the peg rug is a drawer when pulled out where the baby slept. Just above the painting is a brass knob which pulled a hinged door down which created another child's bed.
Third Photo, Bed viewed from inside the cabin

How the beds folded down......veiwed from the side hatch
In the last pic in the cupboard their was a large roll of Brown Paper which would not have been there
Where they slept as they grew to teenagers and beyond is anyones guess...............

Wonderful pictures Cromwell, many moons ago my ex and I had a boat moored at Alvechurch, wonderful life on the waters, the beauty of our countryside at its best especially early morning. Hope you enjoyed your trip :)

This is such a fascinating thread and great pictures Cromwell, it always makes me wish I could be there. As I have said before it was one of the highlights of our 2005 visit to Birmingham.:great:

A lot of folk don't know how much beauty there is in some of our canal bridges and other architecture......the wonderful Telford's Engine Arm Aqueduct that goes over the BNC is just a work of art with its fantastic gothic arches, all cast in iron...... built in 1789 - 90.... just by Smethwick Locks
The half mile long Engine Arm was built to feed water to the summit and the Boulton and Watt beam engine that did this job is the one you could see in the old Science Museum in Newhall St......now moved to the Think Tank

The First Photo is of the Old Wharf Canal Office ( some more pics on post 47) which was in Suffolk St opposite Paradise Street if you study the photo which is not very good it shows a Horse Dray and a Ladder up to the middle window ..either to get something out or in ....as the building was demolished in 1912
The Second Photo shows the officers of the Birmingham Canal Navigation posing outside the offices ....but the reason why they were their was the annual inspection of the canal system....photo taken in 1912 ( note the motor car )

Going back a few posts here is a great Lithograph ( before photo's ) of the Fabulous Galton Bridge which spanned the Birmingham to Wolverhampton Canal at Smethwick ....and opened in 1826
And seeing the horse reminds me I should have replied to Rupert's Post on the Horses that were used.......
The Shire was the most popular but second came the Clydesdale followed by the Norfolk Punch and the Percheron .....Great work horses

Nice photo Nick here is a closer view on the horse rig for pulling the boat

This Photo was taken in 1966 and I find it rather strange that as this photo was taken from the bridge at Bath Row of the Birmingham and Worcester Canal going into Birmingham Gas St Basin if you look the the left from the middle their is over 23 arches ( see post 180) and this is a Railway cutting .....Can anyone tell me the reason WHY?
The name of the road ! to the left of the railway is Communication Row

A great interesting photo of the "docks" at Saltley which if you knew the area where at (coming from town)at Saltley Viaduct right over the canal heading to wards the Gasometer's and the docks were just before them (next stop was the gas works
The canal for Saltley docks was in between Nechells Place and Crawford St ....My Playground .....
Photo shows intensive work going on and the laying of a new keel for a narrow boat ( barge )

I think that it was just a method of building a brick wall with stiiffening ribs. It seems quite a tall structure. The arches were a way of finishing the upper part and supporting the road walls above. The wall between the arches is set back reducing the bricks required. Just a guess.
Post 180# though seems different. I thought these little coves may have been storage for stove coal for barges. Especially the ones with barred gates and locks. Maybe for barges that did not go near a coal wharf. It's kind of sheltered from the elements.

Rupert if the walls were to hold back something like an earthen bank ...Buttress walls would be use....and as for arches they have tremendous strength from pressure from above......during government test on the canal bridges in 1936 on a 150 year old brick bridge they put over 127 tons on it before it collapsed and that weight was on it for three quarters of an hour, I know that arches are built to save on the amount of bricks being used and like you said I wonder if the bridge in town was built with storage in ....which makes sense

I have touched on this subject before on post 71, but I came across an article in an old Brum paper and found a couple of pics.
When the winters were bad canals froze over for sometimes over 6 weeks or more at a time so no matter where the boats where they were frozen in…and without money or food began to starve and things got pretty tough for them….they relied on the goodwill of the folks around were they were stranded and I suppose bonds were made and friendship were struck up (is this why they adopted villages or towns as their home? It only took the canals to freeze over 2 to 3 inches and the boat was well and truly frozen in ….and the canal companies began to loose money so in the maintenance yards metal clad narrow boats or iron made boats were bought out to smash their way through the ice just by the simple action of wildly rocking the boat backward and forwards towed by teams of horses …this action has been known to turn the boat over and pitch the men into the water or force the boat under or over the ice.
In Birmingham the canal boat folk had no job or income in the severe weather and so the Boatmen’s mission organized collections for the boatmen parading round town after putting a boat on wheels and filling it with ice ……..Then one of the boatmen got inside the boat after being suitably insulated from the ice and they paraded round town with their collection boxes trying to raise money

As allways brilliant pictures Cromwell. How did they survive! I have read about the hard times in the frozen winters when they could not work the boats. I have been told local families in Tamworth and I am sure elsewhere helped the boat people in these times, as much as they could and were repaid with coal later. We have no idea.

Thanks John...as Rod knows my scanner is kapput but getting a new one next week .... I have a feeling those arches are on the opposite side as well so I must go and take a look to see what is going on ....

Post #229, photo #1 - See the body language of that horse in the background? I read it as, "''Bout time they learned what it's like to do the REAL graft". :he:

Loading the barges at Sampson Road Wharf which was situated alongside Rugby Portland Cement Company depot above Camp hill Locks
Photo and Ad 1938

The Bridge Street Mission which was opened in 1885 by the Incorporated Seaman’s and Boatman’s Friend Society with the view of spreading the gospel to the boatmen. They published “The Waterman” magazine which they distributed freely (as well as Religious Books and tracts) which told them were they could spend a pleasant evening. The Mission at Bridge St. (photo 1) could accommodate nearly 300 people when the movable screen was removed which portioned off the Vestry, inside it had a large open timbered roof on the first floor which suffered slight damage in the Blitz in 1942, the incendiary bomb that fell though the roof started a serious fire which could have devastated the place, burning a large hole in the floor boards and destroying a few chairs but is was promptly dealt with by one of the firewatchers …the Mission caretaker.
Personal contact was well know by evangelical missionaries and they often visited the people on their boats to spread the gospel and help them write letters to stop them going to the Public Houses were they had to pay for this privilege at a cost of 1p a page…..All kinds of enticement was used to get them into the Mission from providing them use of the latest games like skittles and bagatelle, even airgun shooting (which I find strange as they would have used this to shoot game) Tea, coffee, books, papers and washrooms. Christmas parties were held and the children were given presents and if they could not get to the mission Father Christmas went out to them. For outings Manor Farm was used at Northfield (a magical place were I use to go as a kid, courtesy of The Daily Mail Christmas Tree Fund who also provided me with boots and shoes) Here they could paddle in the brooks and swim, as swimming in the canal was illegal, have picnics and have pop, tea and buns and be entertained in the great barn built their by Elizabeth Cadbury who cared greatly for the poor and worked as a missionary before she married.
Local businesses supported the Mission at Bridge St. and the people who attended also raised money in any way they could by collections and carol singing at Christmas time. Bridge St Mission was in use till 1950’s but in Kelly’s Directory 1956 it lists The Federation of Boys Clubs and when I went to Gas St a few weeks back on the spot where it once stood.. is a multi-story car park.
Their were other Missions belonging to the Seaman’s and Boatman’s Friend in Birmingham and not all of the were situated by canals.
Not only The Bridge Street Mission undertook missionary work for the boat people, the Salvation Army were involved from the 19th century. Fred and Ivy Fielding (photo 2) bought a motorised Butty “Cornwall” renamed it “Salvo” and toured the Midland canals in 1949 giving educational, social and spiritual support to the boat people.
Photo 3 is inside a floating classroom that toured the canals and taught the children for a day at a time as schooling was rare as the children moved with the boats and only got a chance to learn when their parents were either loading or unloading or at some other time when the boats were moored up such as a bad winter

Back