• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

W.H.Keys, who dealt with tar and tar distillates, had allowed some tar to drain into the canal. Even as late as then, safety measures were not anything like today.

When I was a student at Birmingham College of Art in the 60's we did a project on Canal Art. My friend and I took the Midland Red buses out to the canal side museum at Braunston to see their collection. I don't know if it still exists?
Yes, the Canal Museum is still there...

If you are still interested in the subject, this is a good book. ("this" is a link...click on it...)

A bit technical, but very, very interesting...

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Black Country history thread but it is applicable to all canals.....interesting clip about traditional canal boat painting.

That artwork is magnificent! I love canal boats but the ladies skills are outstanding!

Truly outstanding workmanship, funny as a kid would stand with Dad on bridge Street bridge , watching the highly decorated, barges going up and down to gas Street Basin, with the bargee's shouting to each other, wearing large cloth caps , and bright neck cloths, Dad aldo told me that they had a language which only they could understand, don't know if that was true!!

I realize this is not Birmingham history, but shows these events happened elsewhere:

"The Cuyahoga River which flows into Lake Erie – caught fire in 1969 (and) ignited a firestorm of public outrage over the indiscriminate dumping of sewage and industrial chemicals into the Great Lakes...
Mats of dense fecal matter mixed with condoms and other unmentionables joined the oil sludge in a macabre cocktail of toxicity. In 1985, a 23-year-old man died from a rare parasitic waterborne disease (leptospirosis) after falling into the river and swallowing water."

Another canal walk available on Streetview. This time, it's from Lifford Lane to Selly Oak Sainsburys. Quite a variation in scenery, including the Cadbury factory and a section that runs parallel to the railway.

Birmingham, England

Another canal walk available on Streetview. This time, it's from Lifford Lane to Selly Oak Sainsburys. Quite a variation in scenery, including the Cadbury factory and a section that runs parallel to the railway.

Birmingham, England
A beautiful walk! Thank you…..

apologies for going " off piste" I noticed a mention about the Dudley canal tunnel in this thread , last week I went for a walk from Brierley Hill waterfront to the canal tunnel mouth , plenty of industrial archeology remaining , here are a few pictures at Blowers Green of the pump house, Viaduct and tunnel mouth
blowers green.jpgviaduct.jpgcanal tunnel.jpg

The brick viaduct at Parkhead replaced a an earlier timber structure built to the design of i K Brunel. but made under the supervision of his successor, John Fowler CE. The modern image shows work being done on the viaduct for the Metro Extension to Brierley Hill

apologies for going " off piste" I noticed a mention about the Dudley canal tunnel in this thread , last week I went for a walk from Brierley Hill waterfront to the canal tunnel mouth , plenty of industrial archeology remaining , here are a few pictures at Blowers Green of the pump house, Viaduct and tunnel mouth
View attachment 189457View attachment 189458View attachment 189459
The construction of yesteryear never ceases to amaze me. Functional & true eye candy! And there were not ICE's or EV insight to help! Sorry off topic!

Back