• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

Bristol Road, Selly Oak. I thought this was for access to the Worcester & Birmingham Canal but I now think it's for access to the new Unite student accommodation.

But a new ramp might get built in the autumn from this bridge on the other side.

Currently the only way onto the canal for pedestrians and cyclists is via The Dingle.

The new ramp / steps will be built on this side. Photo taken in February 2013

Here's an update from the canal level.

The Selly Oak Student Accommodation towering over the Bristol Road Bridge.

On the left where the graffiti is will be where the new access ramp from Bristol Road will go.

The other side - Lapal Canal - new steps built to access the Student Accommodation. I think there is a bridge to the right, but should they build a bridge closer to the towpath if they remove the towpath for the restored canal in future?

Selly Oak Bristol Road Bridge update: there is now an exit / entrance from the Selly Oak Shopping Park to the new steps near the student accommodation near the Bristol Road.

Path from near Sainsbury's.

Worcester & Birmingham Canal is to the left.

From the top of the new steps.

The steps also has a rail for bikes.

From the Bristol Road.

Do they still need to build steps on the other side of the bridge?

Selly Oak Bristol Road Bridge update: there is now an exit / entrance from the Selly Oak Shopping Park to the new steps near the student accommodation near the Bristol Road.

Path from near Sainsbury's.

Worcester & Birmingham Canal is to the left.

From the top of the new steps.

The steps also has a rail for bikes.

From the Bristol Road.

Do they still need to build steps on the other side of the bridge?
My grandson from Taunton has just moved in to the new student accommodation at Birmingham university, I know there are three or four but he is at the original one. Thanks for the pictures

Bob

The images at Selly Oak show the site of the new junction for the Dudley Canal. The old route was lost with the building of Sainsbury's and the Students Union. The diversion, when or if open will rejoin the old canal. It would be of use to have that part of the canal opened out for boaters so that there could be useful moorings provided. There are few moorings here on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal and mooring there is a problem as there are a few cyclists who steadfastly believe the towpath is a race track and ignore the CRT code.

The images at Selly Oak show the site of the new junction for the Dudley Canal. The old route was lost with the building of Sainsbury's and the Students Union. The diversion, when or if open will rejoin the old canal. It would be of use to have that part of the canal opened out for boaters so that there could be useful moorings provided. There are few moorings here on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal and mooring there is a problem as there are a few cyclists who steadfastly believe the towpath is a race track and ignore the CRT code.
Reading the canal magazines, I understood that the Lapal tunnel was in such a poor state of repair and blocked that opening this old canal which really would be a Birmingham bypass and a timesaver was a no go
Bob

Reading the canal magazines, I understood that the Lapal tunnel was in such a poor state of repair and blocked that opening this old canal which really would be a Birmingham bypass and a timesaver was a no go
Bob

The last news I heard was they are thinking of running the canal over the top, through Woodgate Park

The last news I heard was they are thinking of running the canal over the top, through Woodgate Park
Thank you for that, pardon my ignorance where is Woodgate Park? I think the last time I was up there on the Bearwood side I coffee'd and laptopped in a Starbucks near an Aldi near Mucklows Hill I then left headed towards the City turned right at a big four cross way and seemed to remember seeing signs to Woodgate and Weoley Castle but did not really know where I was.
Bob

Thank you for that, pardon my ignorance where is Woodgate Park? I think the last time I was up there on the Bearwood side I coffee'd and laptopped in a Starbucks near an Aldi near Mucklows Hill I then left headed towards the City turned right at a big four cross way and seemed to remember seeing signs to Woodgate and Weoley Castle but did not really know where I was.
Bob

Bob, I think you mean Starbucks by Asda at Quinton, there is no Starbucks by Aldi at Bearwood. About two miles south of where you were is Woodgate.

I have thought all along that reopening the the Dudley (No.2) Canal is a real pie in the sky idea. Even if they sort out how to deal with the Lapal Tunnel problem they still have to get across the Quinton Expressway/Halesowen Bypass. either the road will have to be raised on a viaduct or the canal would have to be raised on an aqueduct. Raising the canal would create a new summit level with no natural water supply so water would have to be pumped.

The idea of a branch off the Worcester Canal has some merit but you will need additional land for a basin where you can turn the boats round. Some years ago I lead a guided walk from the Stonehouse pub (don't know if it is still there) past the back of Weoley Castle along the course of the old canal as far as the bridge near Selly Oak and back along the Borne Brook. If I remember correctly we only crossed one road in about 4 1/4 miles.

Woodgate Valley Country Park is located near Quinton. Between the 23 and 24 NXWM Platinum bus routes. From the Quinton Expressway to West Boulevard. Buses on Quinton Road West (24) or Clapgate Lane (23). The Bourn Brook runs through the park. You can get your bus from Harborne.

Woodgate Valley Country Park is located near Quinton. Between the 23 and 24 NXWM Platinum bus routes. From the Quinton Expressway to West Boulevard. Buses on Quinton Road West (24) or Clapgate Lane (23). The Bourn Brook runs through the park. You can get your bus from Harborne.

thanks for pics

Thanks for info and pics, I know route 9 goes to Merry Hill because I used it some years ago, so its the 10 that has disappeared?
Bob

Bob, I think you mean Starbucks by Asda at Quinton, there is no Starbucks by Aldi at Bearwood. About two miles south of where you were is Woodgate.

I have thought all along that reopening the the Dudley (No.2) Canal is a real pie in the sky idea. Even if they sort out how to deal with the Lapal Tunnel problem they still have to get across the Quinton Expressway/Halesowen Bypass. either the road will have to be raised on a viaduct or the canal would have to be raised on an aqueduct. Raising the canal would create a new summit level with no natural water supply so water would have to be pumped.

The idea of a branch off the Worcester Canal has some merit but you will need additional land for a basin where you can turn the boats round. Some years ago I lead a guided walk from the Stonehouse pub (don't know if it is still there) past the back of Weoley Castle along the course of the old canal as far as the bridge near Selly Oak and back along the Borne Brook. If I remember correctly we only crossed one road in about 4 1/4 miles.
Thanks David, sorry I got the wrong place, I once cycled up Mucklows on a fixed wheel 44crank,12 rear wheel cog, standing on the pedals at the top, knicky knacky knocked at the top.

Bob

Thanks for info and pics, I know route 9 goes to Merry Hill because I used it some years ago, so its the 10 that has disappeared?
Bob

Probably the X10 now via Halesowen. Those buses the 9 and X10 go near Leasowes Park. Which is where the Dudley No 2 Canal goes through.

Yes it's the X10 from Birmingham to Merry Hill.

The 9 and the X10 both go to Halesowen but pass Leasowes Park on different sides. To see the track of the Dudley no.2 Canal I would recommend the X10 and get off half way down Mucklow Hill at the roundabout by B & Q.

The 9 and the X10 both go to Halesowen but pass Leasowes Park on different sides. To see the track of the Dudley no.2 Canal I would recommend the X10 and get off half way down Mucklow Hill at the roundabout by B & Q.
Thanks David, next trip up will be next April, so I will do that
Bob

This map is from Google
1574015470556.png

The grey/white building top centre is B & Q. If you come down Mucklow Hill (A458), the X10 bus stop is just below the roundabout by B & Q, you will see a dark green line which is the Dudley No2 Canal. It runs at the side of Leasowes Park going south. It has to follow the contours of the land. It leaves the park and runs at the back of houses and other buildings eventually coming out just above Sandvik, the building just left of centre bottom on Manor Way (A456). I have not walked this route for many years but if you can still get through you be able to get a no. 9 bus back into the city centre. The green line slightly to the left on the map is the line of the old Halesowen Railway which closed, I think, in 1962

Back