• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canal toll houses

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
There are still a few of these around. The first one on the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal at Cambrian Wharf is now the home of the Birmingham branch of the Canal and River Trust. Today the building is called Cambrian House (address Cambrian Wharf, James Brindley Walk). Image from Streetview.

I think 2 storey toll houses like the first one might be less common. There is another toll house at Cambrian Wharf which is one storey, seen in the second photo (Source: Geograph) to the left below the ‘Groundworks’ building.

I wonder if the 2 storey toll house had a different or additional role to the smaller one ?

Viv.

9A4F2985-9CA2-4179-9B64-35FE3583CFA5.jpeg
03F6EF4A-B852-440F-8750-32C989A10BAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice design. Are some hexagonal (?) for a reason ? Better view of canal traffic maybe ? Viv.

"Canal toll houses were built in very similar style to those on turnpikes. They are sited at major canal locks or at junctions. The great age of canal-building in Britain was in the 18th century, so the majority exhibit the typical features of vernacular Georgian architecture. In the English Midlands, a major area of 18th century canal development, most are of mellow red brick and hexagonal in plan, and tall enough to give the lock keeper a good view of local traffic on the canal. Being small, most have proved unsuitable for occupation, and so are often used as shops or tourist information outlets."

Also a picture of the one in Smethwick

Does this 1960s postcard show the hexagonal toll house on Cambrian Wharf (left) opposite, what was then, the Longboat ? If so the building next door (“Groundworks”) seems to have either had a new roof or has been completely rebuilt. Viv.

201E8CCB-F89B-4B65-B66E-9D917436523B.jpeg

The smaller toll house is Grade II listed. Here’s the listing description. Could be late 1700s to early 1800. These are lovely examples of canal history. Viv.

“KINGSTON ROW 1. 5104 City Centre B1 Lock Keepers Toll Office at Head of Farmers Bridge Locks SP 0686 NW 32/9 II 2. Circa 1789-1800 contemporary with the opening of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, or early C19 with the roving bridge. Single storey canted front to the tow path built of red brick with gault-brick dressings. Hipped slate roof. The structure descends through 3 storeys to rear against retaining wall of canal. Revealed glazing bar sash windows”.

Not a toll house but an interesting piece from the Birmingham Gazette of May 1839 and the Bar-Lock Tolls.

Locks kept open day and night and Sundays.... During autumnal and winter months from 20-30 boats found at the top and bottom......Nearly 70 steam engines and about 124 wharfs and works are already seated on the banks of the canals between Farmer's Bridge and Bordesley and Aston...

E8A837D8-9DB6-40A3-8633-6DBFCFF3357E.jpeg

There was a toll office, as stated at the top of Camp Hill Locks. In this 1955 view the building is on the towpath side of the canal.711306.jpg

It is a view as seen from the Railway Bridge.

With respect to canal side buildings (toll houses etc) in the Birmingham area, there are those that belonged to:

(1) Birmingham Canal Navigations (includes Dudley Canal buildings)
(2) Birmingham & Warwick Junction Canal
(3) Warwick & Birmingham Canal
(4) Worcester & Birmingham Canal

The BCN operated a numerical system for cottage rentals which was first arranged in District sequence order and then later combined into one numerical sequence. These rentals covered toll house cottages, wharfingers cottages, reservoir keepers cottages and engine house staff cottages.

Then there were the independent properties such as private wharves where a cottage or house may be associated with.

Present 3D Google Earth view of the above picture from 1955.

Perhaps the last few comments are of particular interest for the Thread “Canal Toll Houses“ ?

854926B1-0742-46EC-B5D1-AF4E03283688.jpeg

There are still a few of these around. The first one on the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal at Cambrian Wharf is now the home of the Birmingham branch of the Canal and River Trust. Today the building is called Cambrian House (address Cambrian Wharf, James Brindley Walk). Image from Streetview.

I think 2 storey toll houses like the first one might be less common. There is another toll house at Cambrian Wharf which is one storey, seen in the second photo (Source: Geograph) to the left below the ‘Groundworks’ building.

I wonder if the 2 storey toll house had a different or additional role to the smaller one ?

Viv.

View attachment 150810
View attachment 150813
Thank you for this posting Viv. In March I will be cycling along the Birmingham Canal Network between Wolverhampton and Worcester - if I come across any other toll houses will post/share a photo on this forum. This springtime adventure retraces the route of coal to fuel mass manufacturing industry and my journey from Birmingham to Worcester retraces the route of barges bound for the river Severn going to Bristol Docks. One particular export was Pen Nibs - apparently Birmingham mass manufacturing led to the Pen nib invasion of America.

See link for Kings Norton Toll house with the toll charges on the board

Attachments

• 2CC483E4-3201-4C4B-9A87-620CCEC495CF.jpeg
    2CC483E4-3201-4C4B-9A87-620CCEC495CF.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for this posting Viv. In March I will be cycling along the Birmingham Canal Network between Wolverhampton and Worcester - if I come across any other toll houses will post/share a photo on this forum. This springtime adventure retraces the route of coal to fuel mass manufacturing industry and my journey from Birmingham to Worcester retraces the route of barges bound for the river Severn going to Bristol Docks. One particular export was Pen Nibs - apparently Birmingham mass manufacturing led to the Pen nib invasion of America.
Sounds like an interesting adventure for sure. The route from Wolverhampton to Gas Street is quite good, although the tunnel at Coseley was closed last time I looked due to a landslip in the cutting.

Gas Street to the Kings Norton tunnel is also a decent ride, be it a bit straight.

I do recall the towpath after the tunnel at Kings Norton was not very good until you get to Tardebigge. The Shortwood Tunnel section can be a pain.

It’s all plane sailing then to Worcester.

Thanks for the heads-up, I can now plan some detours - Joe
If Coseley is closed you can follow National Cycle Route 81. It provides a nice bypass around Coseley tunnel. With the other tunnels, its only the conditions of the towpaths. Apart from Kings Norton tunnel, the other two are relatively short.

Please do share photos of your adventure on here please.

Well, Birmingham factories made copious amounts of pen nibs with a former nib maker Brandauer still in business.

There was once an important trade in coal south to the salt works and salt from the Droitwich and Stoke Works north to the chemical works of South Staffordshire.

On your ride to Worcester no doubt you will come across other toll houses and cottages such as those that exist at Bittel Reservoir, the top of Tardebigge, and at Worcester.

Thank you so much - the amount of knowledge this forum has harnessed and is willing to share is incredible; I will look up and make contact Brandauer and ask if they were part of the pen invasion of America. I didn't realise coal went to the Droitwich salt works yet it makes perfect sense. With permission, will include that fact into my cycling story. I'll also look out for and photograph the toll house and cottages you mentioned. With best wishes for the festive season - Joe

8DF9CF15-0EB6-4EC5-A926-CF3FD982A730.jpeg

“These octagonal toll houses situated on small islands were to be found in many places on the Birmingham Canal Navigations. Because the journeys over this network were much shorter, plus the fact that there were many arms and branches, there were a lot of toll collecting points to ensure that each boat paid adequately for the length of its trip and its cargo. George Arnold with his horse Betty, stops his boat loaded with dry slack at Bromford Stop for gauging and toll paying some time in 1958. George Arnold worked for Ernest Thomas of Walsall. The boat is Tom No 28 belonging to the Central Electricity Authority. The slack had been loaded at Sandwell Colliery Wharf, Smethwick, bound for Ocker Hill Power Station. This trip was made twice a day for six days a week.”

Narrow boats at work by Ware, Michael E, Publication date 1985.

View attachment 176373

“These octagonal toll houses situated on small islands were to be found in many places on the Birmingham Canal Navigations. Because the journeys over this network were much shorter, plus the fact that there were many arms and branches, there were a lot of toll collecting points to ensure that each boat paid adequately for the length of its trip and its cargo. George Arnold with his horse Betty, stops his boat loaded with dry slack at Bromford Stop for gauging and toll paying some time in 1958. George Arnold worked for Ernest Thomas of Walsall. The boat is Tom No 28 belonging to the Central Electricity Authority. The slack had been loaded at Sandwell Colliery Wharf, Smethwick, bound for Ocker Hill Power Station. This trip was made twice a day for six days a week.”

Narrow boats at work by Ware, Michael E, Publication date 1985.
Is that date, 1958 correct?

Back