• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canal Street, Aston

oops got the wrong end of stick i thought you meant there was a photo of staniforth st in altons book but you meant one of canal st:D but yes i do have that one and im looking at the photo you mentioned....later on i will scan it and post it on this thread

lyn

oops got the wrong end of stick i thought you meant there was a photo of staniforth st in altons book but you meant one of canal st:D but yes i do have that one and im looking at the photo you mentioned....later on i will scan it and post it on this thread

lyn
Lyn, Thank you, I knew you would be able to do it. Love your photo's, really appreciated. I don't say much but I do look a lot, I could write a book of my memories of Birmingham, from a very poor beginning to comparative luxury.
Bryan.

thanks bryan i love posting the old photos as they bring back so many memories to our members...one photo is is all it takes to transport us back....i can see that you have been a member for some time but we would love to read your memories of growing up as this is what makes this forum tick and the written word is equally as important as the photos.....so please have a go at it ...you may want to start on our childhood memories thread...just click on the link below....

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/childhood-memories.35030/

hi bryan my scanner is on the blink so i had to take a pic of it with my camera...best i can do....i was just thinking that as canal st was so tiny this photo must show all of it...you would know

lyn

CANAL ST 001.JPG

hi bryan my scanner is on the blink so i had to take a pic of it with my camera...best i can do....i was just thinking that as canal st was so tiny this photo must show all of it...you would know

lyn

View attachment 123424
Yes Lyn, that is the whole street. The fence on the left is Whittalls builders yard. Turn left at the bottom and in 150 yards is the island at the bottom of Corporation St /Steelhouse Lane, by the fire station. If you turn right at the bottom of the street it was 20 yards to the lights at the junction of Princip Street / Bagot street / Newtown Row.
Bryan.

great description bryan...were there any other houses on the whittallls side...i can only make out about 6 on your side...how lucky you are to have a photo showing your house...something many of our members crave for

lyn

great description bryan...were there any other houses on the whittallls side...i can only make out about 6 on your side...how lucky you are to have a photo showing your house...something many of our members crave for
did
lyn
No Lyn, I suspect that the houses on the other side had been demolished before my time, might even have been bombed . Then Whittalls moved onto the vacant site. Beyond Whittalls was the back end of a small factory with the entrance on Lancaster Street and not even a window on Canal Street. The factory on our side of the street was I believe a producer of some sort of paper or cardboard packaging. Can't recall the name but my wife did some office cleaning for them in the evening.
Our house had 3 rooms one on top of the other. Door on the street was the only way in or out. Up the entry to the toilet and the washhouse & clothes lines 8 more houses 6 toilets between us with shared cleaning duties and all the residents had wash days allocated, well you know the routine. In the winter of 62/63 every water pipe in the yard froze up for weeks on end and it was ages before the council got around to doing repairs. Don't ask me how we coped but we did. When we moved in we had our daughter Karen who was born in Feb 58 and our son Steve who was born July 61 was newborn. Our youngest son Gary was born in Loveday Street October 65, which was just around the corner. Everybody was poorer than church mice but it was a great community always willing to help each other. Next door to us was an Irish family named Kennedy, they had 11 kids aged between 15 and newborn,can't imagine where they all slept.
Sorry for boring you with all this you must be nodding off by now.
Bryan.

absolutely no way are you boring me bryan....your memories remind me so much of where i was born in our nans back to back in paddington st off summer lane...outside lavvies....shared brewus...nan had the one bedroom and mom dad me and my brother had the attic...when i was 5 we moved out to villa street then soon to be followed by 4 more children....as you say we didnt have a lot but would give half of what we did have to someone who had nothing....great community spirit back them..something that is sadly lacking these days....the winter of 63 i was just coming up to 10 and loved all that snow...our mom couldnt get me in..please keep posting bryan look forward to hearing more from you:)

lyn

Well done Bryan, though on the other side of town we had very much the same sort of lives and everyone who shares their memories stirs others.
As Lyn ( our super star !) says, please keep posting your written pictures ! As that old lady said " Every little helps.
Cheers Tim.

My great-great grandfather was born in 1839 and his birth certificate shows 1, New Canal Street. By 1847 his father was living at 1, Canal Street (which adjoined 106, Bordesley Street), so it wasn't "New" then. (Numbers 1 to 6, along with 106, were sold by auction, with their tenants, at the White Hart Inn, Digbeth, and my 3xgreat-grandfather showed people around). In Rapkin's map of 1851 it is still Canal Street, but in Bartholomew's map of 1866 the New has returned...

Last edited:
My great-great grandfather was born in 1839 and his birth certificate shows 1, New Canal Street. By 1847 his father was living at 1, Canal Street (which adjoined 106, Bordesley Street), so it wasn't "New" then. (Numbers 1 to 6, along with 106, were sold by auction, with their tenants, at the White Hart Inn, Digbeth, and my 3xgreat-grandfather showed people around). In Rapkin's map of 1851 it is still Canal Street, but in Bartholomew's map of 1866 the New has returned...
This was still puzzling me, so I re-read the posts above and believe that I now understand. The Canal Street in Astoness's picture is this one:
Canal Street Aston 1884-1891.jpg

whereas "my" New Canal Street is this one:
New Canal Street 1884-1891.jpg

It took a while, but now I know...

Alex
The 1841bPifot directory and the 1845 Post Office directory show no 1 New Canal St occupied by William Wardell, shopkeeper. It was on the eastern side of New Canal St, close to the junction with Bordesley St, but not on the corner, as listed on the street before no 1 was the Queens Hotel (not numbered). It islikely that the buildings on the map in earlier post were not those in 1840s. The 1849 PO directory shows no 1 being divided between a grocer and a baker.

Thanks. He was listed as a Chandler on his son's 1839 birth certificate, and a Grocer and Chandler in the 1851 Census, although his address had changed to Macdonald Street. (I see from the map that the Hide and Skin Market was up the road). Here is the 1847 property sale cutting:
Wardell Canal Street 1847.jpg

and here is an 1848 cutting about the baker's:
Canal Street Nov 1848.jpg

Finally, here's a 1938 cutting about clearances:
New Canal Street demolition 1938.jpg

A city of constant renewal...

Thank you all for this very interesting thread. I have my relatives John Fulford 1791 Publican and his wife Ann, two children Harriet and Maria on the 1841 Census living on Canal street. From this thread I am thinking there were two Canal streets. The one picture posted by Astoness Thankyou ! a very short street. Another very long street, which changed names from Canal street to New Canal street. Sorry if I have this wrong ?
Also the wonderful street map posted by Alex C has a malt house on the corner of Bagots st and is that Rolands. Does anyone know which malt house or anything about it ? My family were brewers and publicans in the area.
I know there was another associated Canal street thread which also had amazing pics and info
Also as the White Hart Inn Digbeth is mentioned I’m also wondering if maybe John Fulford was the publican of that pub? Just a thought
Cheers Jx

I just had a look and it does not seem likely that John Fulford was publican of the White Hart Inn Digbeth but I do have a John Fulford at the Leopard Inn Brearley Street. He is proving his brother Williams, Will in 1874 and it mentions another brother as an executor. However, if it is John 1791 he would be 83 and maybe too old. The puzzles continue
I tried to post a photograph but it said my file was too big !

I do not think this image is at the location stated.
SUnion.jpeg

The reason being if the name on the building is Shropshire Union Railway & Canal Carriers and that premises was at the end of Crescent Wharf and near Cambridge Street. These premises as reconstructed by G R Jebb, later passed to Fellow's Morton & Clayton.

I do not think this image is at the location stated.
View attachment 143741

The reason being if the name on the building is Shropshire Union Railway & Canal Carriers and that premises was at the end of Crescent Wharf and near Cambridge Street. These premises as reconstructed by G R Jebb, later passed to Fellow's Morton & Clayton.

this photo has been proven that it is not canal st in birmingham see previous posts

all the best

lyn

The short Canal Street mentioned above did run from Staniforth Street to Lancaster Street.

But there may have been another? Canal Street and New Canal Street, were they one and the same?

The earliest mention I can find, at the minute, for New Canal Street is 1832, but there are mentions of Canal Street from 1820.

The descriptions of Canal Street....1825 building land for sale fronting Canal Street and Banbury Street....1834 sale of the Hope and Anchor, old established Public House, on the corner of Fazeley Street and Canal Street.

So it looks as if Canal Street ran at least between Fazeley Street and Banbury Street. But so does New Canal Street. Perhaps around 1832 the street was renewed or widened?
Thank you for this info as it has confirmed a resource relating to my 3 x great grandparents. In 1816 a child of theirs was baptised in St. Phillip's and their abode was recorded as Canal Street. In 1827, other children were baptised at St. Phillip's but their abode was then recorded as Bartholomew Street which was nearby. I'm assuming that they were forced to move due to New Canal Street being formed?

Hi, Can anyone shed light on the date of this pub token please? As you can see, it's 3d from American Inn Canal St, S. Aston. Pubwiki has this listed at 71 New Canal Street 1849-1892 (No S. Aston) and Whitmore's Token Collectors Companion has the Publican listed as Sarah Aston.IMG_4905.jpgIMG_4904.jpg

Back