• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canal Street, Aston

B

Barbara Anne

Hi,

In the 1841 and 1851 Census my ancestors were living in Canal Street, Aston. I found Canal Street on the 1945 map that Aston supplied to this forum ( thanks Aston), but it seems now to have disappeared. I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about the street, type of houses etc. According to the map it was a very short street but the census shows a great number of families with Canal street as an address. Also was it demolished when the Aston Expressway was bulit or before that?
I would love to know something about where they lived.
Thanks,
Barbara

Rupert

master brummie
It was only a short street as you can see. The 1890 ordenance survey map does not give much detail on the houses but on the north-west corner was a factory called Premier Gun Makers.
If you go to the ordenance survey site you will find the area in reasonable detail and if you use your wheel mouse wheel and ctrl button you can zoom in even more. Go to british-history,ac,uk click on maps, warwickshire and chose the tile above the one with the birmingham dot on it. If you use the zoom buttons above the map and click on the map you may find some info. It sounded like you have not tried this.

B

Barbara Anne

Thanks to Rupert and Cromwell for your responses.
Thanks Rupert for the link to the British History web site. I hadn't found it for some reason. I managed to find Canal Street and zoomed to see the individual houses. Were they back to backs? Certainly looks like it from the map.
thanks again
Barbara

Dave C

master brummie
I can see that this thread is a few years old now but I am also trying to establish which Canal Street my ancestors lived in during the 1840s. I assumed it would be near New Canal Street but this photo from the Birmingham Mail suggests it was off Broad Street, any suggestions?canal street and broad street ?.jpeg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the only canal st i know of was off lancaster st aston...not sure if the location on that photo is correct it seems to be advertising the shropshire union railways and canals and i cant see that being broad st running across but maybe someone else may know different...here is a link that should take you to the canal st that was off lancaster st..

lyn

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/os-1-to-2500/birmingham/014/01

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This picture has been on the forum before, and there was some doubt, as I remember it, that it was actually a Birmingham photo. I think I suggested ~Wolverhampton as a possibility. I Cannot find the thread at present however. In the 1840s the only canal st (other than Ne canal St) listed in directories was the one in Aston, off Lancaster St. there was no Canal St near Broad St. Canal st in fact, although near a canal, does not lead to a canal, which would seem to remove the photo from being the Birmingham Canal St. There are Shropshire union Canal signs at the end of the street in the photo. The Wolverhampton Canal St leads down to the Canal and at the edge at the end of the Street is the Shropshire Union Wharf (in red on map)
map c 1888 wolverhampton showing shropshire canal warehouse.jpg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks mike you have just confirmed what i said in the previous post...maybe the birm mail should be informed that their caption is incorrect

lyn

Radiorails

master brummie
I agree Mike about it being posted before, but I did not locate it with a search. However I also concur with the suggestion that it is not Birmingham. My feeling is that was the conclusion with the previous posting.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
The short Canal Street mentioned above did run from Staniforth Street to Lancaster Street.

But there may have been another? Canal Street and New Canal Street, were they one and the same?

The earliest mention I can find, at the minute, for New Canal Street is 1832, but there are mentions of Canal Street from 1820.

The descriptions of Canal Street....1825 building land for sale fronting Canal Street and Banbury Street....1834 sale of the Hope and Anchor, old established Public House, on the corner of Fazeley Street and Canal Street.

So it looks as if Canal Street ran at least between Fazeley Street and Banbury Street. But so does New Canal Street. Perhaps around 1832 the street was renewed or widened?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The original post was concerned with 1840s, when the street concerned must have been the one off Lancaster St. However the c1828 map below shows a Canal St which seems to correspond to the late New Canal St running from Bordesley St to Duddeston St. Duddeston St would have approximated to the later Curzon St, and the change would presumably have corresponded to the building of Curzon St station, when there must have been a great deal of alterations made to the area.
map c 1828 showing canal st digbeth.jpg

MWS

master brummie
If you find your relatives on the census image, just keep moving to the next or previous image until you come across a different street and see if that places the area. On the 1841 census Baggot St is the street prior to the Canal St being mentioned.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
The date of “New Canal Street” can be pushed back to at least 1828 by mention in Trade Directories. The map above is of 1828 and so we would be looking for events around that time like the coming of Curzon St Goods Sheds.

The problem with the census, in general, is that it only goes back to 1841, and the chap doing the legwork doesn’t always start from where he left off.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
It does seem that Canal and New Canal Streets were one and the same, but it would be difficult to put any year on the time of change. New Canal is mentioned in directories from 1828, which is before the coming of the railroad in 1838, and onwards. However it is referred to as Canal Street in 1841, when Commissoners were arguing about an extension of the Queen’s Hotel at Canal Street/ Duddeston Row.

landcrab9

knowlegable brummie
the only canal st i know of was off lancaster st aston...not sure if the location on that photo is correct it seems to be advertising the shropshire union railways and canals and i cant see that being broad st running across but maybe someone else may know different...here is a link that should take you to the canal st that was off lancaster st..

lyn

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/os-1-to-2500/birmingham/014/01
Lyn , you are dead right about Canal Street running between Staniforth Street & Lancaster Street . If you or somebody has Alton Douglas 2012 book Sixties Revisited , page 21 there is a photo from 1961 taken from Staniforth Street. I lived at number 20, 4th house from the corner,to the left of the man standing on the step. His name is Ronny Thyne, son of Vi & Danny, who lived next door to us. We lived there from 61 to 67 when we were moved out in preparation for demolition. The address was not Aston but central B'ham 4, Aston was 6. We used to cast our votes at Victoria Law Courts. I'm sorry I don't know how to upload the photo but I'm sure somebody else does. Hope this is of some help.
Bryan.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi bryan thats great info thank you...i have a shed load of altons books so i will see if i have that one but ive got a feeling ive seen that photo and it could already be on the forum....im sure we have a thread for staniforth st and i know photos of it are very thin on the ground...if you type in staniforth street in the search box top right of the page you should find the thread...any probs get back to me
all the best

lyn