• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canal boat operators used by Showells Brewery/ Langley malting

Lewis Esposito

Hi, I'm currently working on a 'Heritage' drawing of Showells Brewery's Langley Maltings building. I'd like to show the correct canal boats by the maltings. Does anyone know which canal boats the brewery used please? I believe they operated until the mid 1940's.
Thank's Lewis Esposito North Wales

I might guess that they were they included standard narrow boats with cabins

Birmingham sanitary registration includes for Walter Showell

240 Implacable No 3 for carrying ale and coal- Oldbury- Birmingham July 2nd 1879
510 Cinderella beer London, Kidderminster & Walsall October 21st 1885
513 Speedwell beer and empties London Stoke & Kidderminster November 11 1885
514 Lily beer and empties London Stoke & Kidderminster November 11 1885
515 Swiftsure beer and empties London Stoke & Kidderminster November 11 1885
516 Walter beer and empties Birmingham, Walsall, Kidderminster, Stoke December 8th 1885
518 Robert beer and empties Birmingham, Kidderminster & Stoke December 8th 1885
521 Struggler beer and empties London, Stoke & Kidderminster January 19th, 1886
522 Sarah beer and empties London, Stoke & Kidderminster February 9th 1886

The relative long distance of carrying beer would indicate cabin craft and as they were registered had to meet the regulations for cabin craft.

The maltings remain though badly damaged by fire.

The Brewery offices remain, but parts of the site at Langley were also destroyed by fire. This view no longer exists

2800501.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I'm currently working on a 'Heritage' drawing of Showells Brewery's Langley Maltings building. I'd like to show the correct canal boats by the maltings. Does anyone know which canal boats the brewery used please? I believe they operated until the mid 1940's.
Thank's Lewis Esposito North Wales
hi Lewis
I would love to know why you have an interest in this brewery. It was owned by my ancestors and there is a pub in Birmingham still in use which was owned by the Showells.
Kind regards
Katrina

Hi Katrina
My great Grandfather was Charles Showell the owner of Showells. My first cousin has researched extensively and has a great deal of information on the family. Our Grandmother was his eldest daughter. Charles Morrison

Welcome Charles. Good to hear of your family connection. If there’s anything you’d like to share about the business on here, I’m sure there are members who would be interested. Viv.

Hi Katrina
My great Grandfather was Charles Showell the owner of Showells. My first cousin has researched extensively and has a great deal of information on the family. Our Grandmother was his eldest daughter. Charles Morrison
Hi Charles
Could you email me please so we can share family information [email protected] I would love to hear from you.
Interestingly this forum held its Christmas get together at the pub which is in Price Street. I am not sure how long it will exist for now the current landlady has retired and there is a lot of building work going on in the area.

hi katrina we usually advise members not to post their private email address on open forum as it could lead to your email being hacked etc...far best to use our private message system to exchange private details..if you wish you can remove it be editing your post..

happy to report that the bull pub price st is still up and running and doing very well

lyn

Back