• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canadian Records

Dianne

master brummie
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can access Canadian Marriage and Death index's?

Thanks to Alberta's help yesterday I have located my great great uncle who was a "middlemore" child sent to Canada in 1895

He appears on the 1901 census as a "domestic" for a land owner , however he does not appear on the 1911 census.

However I found a reference to him (google search) and he is listed in someones family history (only reference is marriage to lady , but I do know it is him because it gave his name and the township number he lived in .) , it refers to her death but nothing more, just says she died in the west ?!

If I could find this marriage then I may have a chance of finding his descendants

Thanks in anticipation

Dianne

Hi Jennyann

Thanks for your reply, I haven't checked out the link you posted yet but I will later.

I found a website called islandregister.com , a bit of a long shot but I posted a message , I am over the moon ! ... I received a reply from someone living on Prince Edward Island , my GG Uncle was married to her Grandmothers niece... she has forwarded my details etc onto her sister who has been researching family (including my gg uncle) for many years, hopefully she will tell me all I need to know and I can certainly give her all the details of his life in England plus all his siblings names and what happened to them. I will keep you all posted

Dianne

Wow Dianne that's an absolute peach of a find, well done and good luck with it.
I was looking yesterday but i didn't find that, will keep that as it might come in handy for any further enquiries we get, better still you could add it to the "Links" thread

bren

Hi all,

Well with reference to my previous post , I am now feeling somewhat despondant.

I have heard from many kind people on Prince Edward Island, they all have connections to Margaret Annie Matheson who married My GG Uncle - Clement West , but no-one knows anything of him or where Clem and Margaret disappeared to , some say Ontario, some say the States , I am now waiting on my last hope , an e-mail from someone else who may have some clues.

It is so sad really, he arrives in Canada , lives his life there for 10/15years (with no family/kin whatsoever) , he then marries a local girl but no-one has any record of him? I can't even find the marriage :(

The Canadian records are very hard to search, even the kind people of the Prince Edward Island admit that they have problems attempting to track down census's, births marriages and deaths etc etc.

Oh well, at least I have made a couple of friends on that beautiful Island !

what is interesting though is that of all the Middlemore Homes children sent to Canada only 80/85 maximum throughout the entire programe were sent to the Prince Edward Island, I would have liked to think that for just so few there could have been some sort of record kept of them and their lives etc etc,

Anyway I am off to GG Jeans Tavern, gonna drown my sorrows

Dianne

Hi all,

Just an update on my quest for records in Canada (more importantly British Home Children)

I have had a reply from a descendant of another Middlemore child sent to Prince Edward Island in 1892, he lives on the Island and has been a campaigner for years to bring justice and recognition for all British Homes Children sent to Canada/Provinces and beyond.,

What I have read is truly outrageous and heartbreaking , I am going to post the link for anyone with an interest in the migration of British Home Children.

https://www.canadianhomechildren.ca/index.php

Hi all,

Just to update you on my quest to find my GG Uncle Clement West

I today viewed his Middlemore Records at Birmingham Archives.

He was only admitted to Middlemore Homes less than one month before he was sent to Canada. - admitted 17th May 1895, migrated 15th June 1895.

I have also viewed his records once in Canada, there was only two visits made by Middlemore representatives , first one in 1896 where he is described as initially well settled but later sullen and unco-operative, he had discovered unsent letters to his sisters and letters received from his sisters (not given to him) in a box. Th recommendation was he should not be allowed to correspond or receive correspondence from his family and that he should "forget his family"

Second visit was in September 1901 , where he is described as stubborn !

There is also a letter received by Middlemore from Clement dated September 1911 , he asks Middlemore homes to help him find his sisters etc, they replied but only suggested he place an advertisement in the "Birmingham Weekly News" , Middlemore made no effort whatsoever to help him find his sisters.

As a result of this letter I now have an address where he lived in 1911 , he had left Prince Edward Island and was living in Brandon Manitoba .

I also had a reply from the Prince Edward Island Records office, they have found an entry for a license application for marriage between Clement and his girl, it was dated 7th April 1911 , so I have a bit mre to go on as well now.

The people of Prince Edward Island have been so kind and helpful , I get messages all the time with little snippets of information, I feel optimistic now that I will eventually find where Clement lies and more importantly I think I will find his descendants.

Dianne:)

Hi all,

Well what a day I have had,

I received an e-mail from someone in Canada distantly related to my GG uncles wife, she has come up trumps !

She found the obituary for my Uncle in the Brandon Sun newspaper Canada,
he died June 1964, it names where he is interrred (in the family plot) in Brandon , but more importantly it tells of him and his wife having a daughter, she marries a man with surname Drysdale and has two children.

I have now got e-mail address of a possible descendant of clement and his daughter .

waheyyyyyyyy

Great news Dianne... it`s amazing to find out all this information over the Internet in what seems like a flash after wondering about these unsolved mysteries for years. I imagine it`s Brandon, Manitoba where Clement s buried.

Hi Jenny,

yep Brandon Manitoba .. he is buried in Westlawn memorial gardens .

I never found out much of this info, his marriage and death records etc were all down to Canadian people helping me, even the public records office on Prince Edward Island found bits and pieces for me and they sent them to me free of charge - I just found his middlemore records, birth cert and one census return in canada on he 1901 census. The Canadian people I befriended have done all the hard work and I am eternally grateful to them all.

I am going to get myself off to Canada next year (2010) , I intend to visit Prince Edward Island and also Brandon Manitoba .

Dianne, that's just great that you have found out so much and were helped by some Canadian people. Prince Edward Island, home of the stories of "Anne of Green Gables' is a popular place for visitors. I have never been to Manitoba
but have met lots of people who come from there. It's very very cold in the winter.

Hi all,

Just to update you on my quest to find my GG Uncle Clement West

I today viewed his Middlemore Records at Birmingham Archives.

He was only admitted to Middlemore Homes less than one month before he was sent to Canada. - admitted 17th May 1895, migrated 15th June 1895.

I have also viewed his records once in Canada, there was only two visits made by Middlemore representatives , first one in 1896 where he is described as initially well settled but later sullen and unco-operative, he had discovered unsent letters to his sisters and letters received from his sisters (not given to him) in a box. Th recommendation was he should not be allowed to correspond or receive correspondence from his family and that he should "forget his family"

Second visit was in September 1901 , where he is described as stubborn !

There is also a letter received by Middlemore from Clement dated September 1911 , he asks Middlemore homes to help him find his sisters etc, they replied but only suggested he place an advertisement in the "Birmingham Weekly News" , Middlemore made no effort whatsoever to help him find his sisters.

As a result of this letter I now have an address where he lived in 1911 , he had left Prince Edward Island and was living in Brandon Manitoba .

I also had a reply from the Prince Edward Island Records office, they have found an entry for a license application for marriage between Clement and his girl, it was dated 7th April 1911 , so I have a bit mre to go on as well now.

The people of Prince Edward Island have been so kind and helpful , I get messages all the time with little snippets of information, I feel optimistic now that I will eventually find where Clement lies and more importantly I think I will find his descendants.

Dianne:)

This is very interesting as there are two mentions of Clement West in the book “Awful Kind: The Story of the Middlemore Children of Prince Edward Island” by Sara Underwood (2018)

P141… says that in 1895, 14 boys and 2 girls were settled on Prince Edward Island (including Clement West, age 9)

P162… says Clement West, age 9 (A- 2118), is settled with farmer Donald McKinnon in the Charlottetown area…it goes on to give a few more details of Clement’s situation.

The Middlemore representative, Jessie Hogg, visited the farm in 1896 and she was not happy with Clement’s situation. Clement is still living there in 1901 and a second representative, L. Lloyd, visited and reported that Clement was stubborn and violent, and cruel to animals. He added that Clement promised to do better, and if not McKinnon will return him.

Concerning the letter from Middlemore the author adds that it replied, father and mother dead and gave the last address of grandfather before going on to suggest he wrote to the Birmingham Weekly Post.

Back